Post a reply

Snooker in the Olympics

Postby Bourne

Archery, Sailing, Showjumping, even golf is now an Olympic sport. So why not snooker ?

I'd say the biggest problem is that it's not exactly considered a truly worldwide sport yet with pros only coming from around 8 or 9 countries (though GB is considered one country in Olympics).

Just thought i'd throw it out there !

Re: Snooker in the Olympics

Postby Witz78

think we actually had this one recently when the Commonwealths were on.

the main reason against it was that it wouldnt be the pinnacle of the sport, the WC would still be deemed far more important, hence sports like football, tennis, golf etc should be banned from the Olympics

Postby Roland

Pah, who cares about the olympics? It's athletics and that's it for me. Female gymnastics too obviously :jugs:

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Pah, who cares about the olympics? It's athletics and that's it for me. Female gymnastics too obviously :jugs:

whatever floats your boat Sonny.......... :chin: :john:

Postby GJ

WOMENS BEAC H VOLLEY BALL IS THE BEST

Postby Roland

Good point GJ - definitely more of a case than snooker for the olympics

Postby Roland

By the way, your caps lock button is on tonight in case you didn't notice :redneck:

Postby Roland

With a shot cockerel that gives 5 strokes before the foul?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Bourne Great Question <cool>

I was caught up in this with style back in '92 Barca days mate, genuine, we were ALL talking about it 100%.

Postby Witz78

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Bourne Great Question <cool>

I was caught up in this with style back in '92 Barca days mate, genuine, we were ALL talking about it 100%.

the good ole days of athletics, Linford :bowdown: Sally :bowdown: Colin :bowdown: Akabussi <doh>

Postby Tubberlad

I think bringing an event to Brazil is an interesting move. Snooker is already part of the Asian Games, and I believe it has been touted for the Olympics before.

Could it be part of the fold in Rio for 2016? At the moment, I'm saying no, but it's not as ridiculous as it sounds with the likes of Archery & Ping Pong being there.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Pah, who cares about the olympics? It's athletics and that's it for me. Female gymnastics too obviously :jugs:

What's that rowing that Steve Redgrave did? I like that one.

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:

whatever floats your boat Sonny.......... :chin: :john:

rofl rofl

Postby NedB-H

which countries would be able to put out players?

GB, Ireland, China, Aus, Thailand, Brazil, HK, Belgium, Germany, Holland, NZ, Malta. Maybe Thorburn would play for Canada.

Postby PLtheRef

well its an official Olympic sport - just not one that is in the program for events. Tug of War, Rugby Union (15s), Bowling, to name a few.

Postby robertsamual

Bourne wrote:Archery, Sailing, Showjumping, even golf is now an Olympic sport. So why not snooker ?

I'd say the biggest problem is that it's not exactly considered a truly worldwide sport yet with pros only coming from around 8 or 9 countries (though GB is considered one country in Olympics).

Just thought i'd throw it out there !

Exactly !why shouldn't it be in Olympic? There are nearly 28 games in Olympics. Why snooker can't be added in this list. We all know that snooker is much more better than many other games which are included in Olympics. It should be there. Please take my vote.

____________________________________________________________________________________
"Going High"
pool supplies
Last edited by robertsamual on 09 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wheelsofsteel

I am sure snooker could have been in the Commonwealth Games but the WPBSA didn't turn up for a meeting. I am sure I read that somewhere

Postby SnookerFan

The problem I see, is that there aren't too many nations that compete at snooker. Do Ireland compete as an indivdual nation, or as part of Britain? Even if they are two nations you'd probably only get Canada, Australia and the oriental nations competing. And out of them, unless Neil Robertson enters, the winner is only going to come from Britain or China in all likelihood. I don't see that the Olympic Committee would particuarly see snooker as an attractive olympic event.

Also, as mentioned, a lot of olympic sports place more emphasis on Olympic Gold then on winning the World Championships. Would we really want The Crucible devalued this way?

Postby Steve K

The formats couldnt be too long for the olympics (best of 5 or 7?). So lots of countries would stand a realistic chance. No one has mentioned Ireland yet as Ken Doherty, Fergal O'Brien or David Morris could play for them. And also if Snooker was to go into the olympics then countries with only small intrests like Iran, Qatar, Russia, USA etc could all put in some entrants. With best of 5's or 7's you could see shock winners such as in the PTC's. Also for ladies snooker you would see loads of entrants from India, Germany and other coutries.