Who...

Poll ended at 20 Dec 2010

..still prefers longer formats?
88%
..still prefers shorter formats?
No votes
..prefered shorter now prefers longer?
No votes
..prefered longer and now prefers shorter?
13%

Total votes : 16

Who prefers short formats now eh?

Postby randam05

I think this tournament has proved to us that longer formats as so much more exciting by a country mile.

I think everyone should forget higgins problems because..and i would like this answered!..we watch snooker because of the snooker and the way it is played by different individuals, so why should off table happenings affect us? and what higgins done last night, without a doubt, was amazing..they produced a great final..what we expect from snooker, and i dont care what has happened off the table, they produced the goods on it and personally thats all I care about.

I would not go disliking any of you because you had a fight with someone the other night, because thats personal to you and isnt my business, and you arent here to talk about personal stuff with me, we are here to chat about snooker and whatever else is on the island..

Anyway, back to the question..surely no one can still or now prefers shorter formats?

Re: Who prefers short formats now eh?

Postby Bourne

Longer formats have always been the best and always will be, but it's still essential we have the shorter events like the World Open and the PTCs in to balance it out and make us savour the majors more when they come along.

Postby Monique

I like both and to me they are all exciting in different ways. There is a need for variety and that's good.
Over long formats, especially best of 33 or best of 35 a runaway match can become a real bore and pain for the players and the viewers.

Postby Roland

Well that depends if you want the best player to be crowned winner at the end doesn't it? If Williams or Selby won a World Final 18-5 or something like that I would be rejoicing from the roof tops.

What this week has shown is that

1) long format matches of 2 sessions are great for entertainment and allow for twists and turns

and

2) they are not long enough to seperate the top players

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The whole point of the World Open is that it's a sprint tournament, I don't think anyone has ever claimed it should be the main format. The Welsh Open being cut to best of 7 is to make it easier for TV and to have only two tables and the PTC tournaments are minor events. If anything the argument for short formats is stronger now. For the second year in a row the best of 19 UK & Masters finals have completely outshone the World Final.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Well that depends if you want the best player to be crowned winner at the end doesn't it? If Williams or Selby won a World Final 18-5 or something like that I would be rejoicing from the roof tops.

What this week has shown is that

1) long format matches of 2 sessions are great for entertainment and allow for twists and turns

and

2) they are not long enough to seperate the top players

The WC stats for the final show clearly that the player who is ahead after 2 sessions almost always wins it. 18 times in the last 21 occurences. And of the 3 exceptions 2 involved Stevens who is renowed for losing the plot when the finishing line is in sight. So it's a myth that you need such a long format to get the better player on top. There might be other reasons to promote best of 33 or best of 35 but this one doesn't hold.

Postby SnookerFan

I pretty much answered this in a thread I just posted in the UK Championship forum, but I feel it bears repeating as this is the official thread. I turned off at about 9:45pm last night. Not due to boredom, just due to a bout of man-flu, I was exhausted. Due to my constant coughing, and shivering, I couldn't sleep, so checked the score an hour later to see Mark Williams family all looking happy, and Mark being on a relatively easy frame and match-winning clearance. At frame-ball he missed, and I turned off, deciding I needed my rest more.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the score this morning. Even though I saw 13 frames of a best of 19, I still feel I missed a hell of a lot in the last 6. I could've slept through the whole of the World Open and not missed anything near that exciting. Barry Hearn may be doing some good work, but if he thinks that shortening all matches is the way to improve snooker, I think this :bird:

Postby Sickpotter

I have to disagree with you Mon.

IMO the better player is the most consistent player. Consistency over distance is the only way to seperate the good from the great......all the pros can show consistency through a best of 5/7/9 but stretch that out to a best of 25 and the cream rises.

Not to say the short format events aren't enjoyable but they're not really true tests of who's the better player.

Postby Monique

sickpotter wrote:I have to disagree with you Mon.

IMO the better player is the most consistent player. Consistency over distance is the only way to seperate the good from the great......all the pros can show consistency through a best of 5/7/9 but stretch that out to a best of 25 and the cream rises.

Not to say the short format events aren't enjoyable but they're not really true tests of who's the better player.

Sickpotter facts are facts, and there is no agreeing or disagreeing with them. In the last 21 snooker World final the result after 17 frames was the same as the final one when it comes to the winner in 18 cases and 2 of the exceptions involded Stevens who's lost more important matches while being ahead than anyone else irrespective of the format. So clearly that's long enought to determine the best player. You want to really reward consistency? Play the WC as a league, full round-robin over best of 11 or 13. That will give the accurate picture.

Postby Roland

So what you're saying then Monique is that the best of 35 is perfect because it is proven that the better player pretty much always wins.

<cool>

Postby Wildey

sickpotter wrote:I have to disagree with you Mon.

spot on

for every run away match over 25,33 or 35 frames there are 2 or 3 that stand out every tournament that makes the tournament special.

ive enjoyed the UK this week so much because it did give a :bird: to the World Open.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:So what you're saying then Monique is that the best of 35 is perfect because it is proven that the better player pretty much always wins.

<cool>

What I'm saying - as I'm sure you understood - is that stats over real matches show that playing best of 35 or playing best of 17 will yield the same result in over 90% of the cases, so determining the best player isn't a justification for that long a format. There might be other reasons to favour this type of format but this one doesn't pass the reality check.
Last edited by Monique on 13 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bourne

14-0-0-0

Despite all the BS that's been thrown about on this place in the last few days, my faith in the islanders is restored <ok>

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:14-0-0-0

Despite all the BS that's been thrown about on this place in the last few days, my faith in the islanders is restored <ok>

well considering there isnt an option "Do you like both long and short formats" this poll is a farce IMO and proves zilch.

PS - 14-0-0-1 :D THE COMEBACKS ON :excited:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

well considering there isnt an option "Do you like both long and short formats" this poll is a farce IMO and proves zilch.

i find polls that add both is a cop out and for wimps who has splinters in their asses the question is clear which is best A or B

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

i find polls that add both is a cop out and for wimps who has splinters in their asses the question is clear which is best A or B

says the man who voted NEUTRAL on the "Do you like Higgins?" poll :tvrky:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

i voted neutral because im nun plussed about him.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:well considering there isnt an option "Do you like both long and short formats" this poll is a farce IMO and proves zilch.

so if the poll had only had LIKE or DONT LIKE as options what would your vote have been :excited:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i find polls that add both is a cop out and for wimps who has splinters in their asses the question is clear which is best A or B

so if the poll had only had LIKE or DONT LIKE as options what would your vote have been :excited:

don't like edges it hes a throwback to Steve Davis and i hated Steve Davis and John reminds me of him.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

don't like edges it hes a throwback to Steve Davis and i hated Steve Davis and John reminds me of him.

if you hated Davis how could you like Hendry?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i voted neutral because im nun plussed about him.

if you hated Davis how could you like Hendry?

Hendry so much better faster more exciting than Davis could ever hope to be Ive never ever seen similarities between the 2 of them apart from the trophy cabinet.

but the reason i hated Davis was as a kid i was a Alex Higgins fan and wanted Alex to stuff him.

Postby Tubberlad

How about Davis calling John Higgins the greatest player ever with total ease as if it's a given! Hahahahaha...

Hendry by a country mile, from Ronnie from Higgins. The Higgins love-in has been nothing less than sickening IMO...