Post a reply

Here's an idea for a rule change...

Postby Roland

How about allowing snooker players to play jump shots?

The pro pool players use a little jump cue and it's a very skillful art. I think the roots of not allowing it in snooker stem from clubs not wanting amateurs to rip the cloth and it's stuck. Good jump shots can be spectacular.

What would snooker be like with jump shots?

(For those that don't know, a jump shot is where you deliberately cue down on the white to get it jump over an intervening ball)

Re: Here's an idea for a rule change...

Postby Seifer Almasy

The cloth is very different in snooker, and I think it would definately rip, esp in clubs...

It would be a great addition if it was allowed but I don't think it will be given the cloth, and even if it were, people would all moan about it.

Postby Roland

That's the only problem with it - you'd have snooker clubs across the land worrying about their cloths which is fair enough given the kids seeing the stars on tv playing jump shots would try to emulate them, but as a concept in professional snooker it would make things interesting.

Think about getting out of snookers or potting balls by jumping. On a 12ft x 6ft it's not always going to be an option and as they are difficult to judge, I don't think you'll see any difference to start off with. But then some players will practice it and try it out and it could catch on as the shots get noticed and the skill factor appreciated.

I would like to see it, just to see what happens.

Postby Wildey

no hopeless idea even earl Strickland is making a stand against it in pool.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

"How about allowing snooker players to play jump shots?" "I would like to see it, just to see what happens"

Is this called 'when I put a site togetheralitis' ....?

Tell me your on about players themselves, not using the Cue ball as a reference, because we've already had one of these players..."How about allowing snooker players to play jump shots?" & it was Alex Higgins when he hit the ball, amazing, & he still f**kin potted them. Tho I'm sure all the movement came before & after he hit the ball.

Now, if your trying to tell me that society won't let them type of people into our great sort anymore, then we might be onto something.

Postby Seifer Almasy

It allows for different tactics wild.

Also oneball, I have ripped a cloth in a club, luckily they didnt find out (bullshitted them that it was already there, believe me I was heading for a 300 pound fine). I had just come from the hard slate bed pool tables....and I was very stressed as usual so I got down and smacked it but scraped the cloth, it just tore up with a horrible stomach churning rip.

In pool, the cloth is totally different...you can actually try to rip it and fail.

Postby Wildey

Seifer island hatah wrote:It allows for different tactics wild.

Also oneball, I have ripped a cloth in a club, luckily they didnt find out (bullshitted them that it was already there, believe me I was heading for a 300 pound fine). I had just come from the hard slate bed pool tables....and I was very stressed as usual so I got down and smacked it but scraped the cloth, it just tore up with a horrible stomach churning rip.

In pool, the cloth is totally different...you can actually try to rip it and fail.

ohhhh god hes moved on to cloths when was this unripable pool cloth manufactered ....if you dont know you best ask tony Knowles he proberbly tell you 1986 <laugh>

christ its been a long day of :banghead: on sites today therefore im going to retreat to bed :bird:

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Seifer island hatah wrote:It allows for different tactics wild.

ohhhh god hes moved on to cloths when was this unripable pool cloth manufactered ....if you dont know you best ask tony Knowles he proberbly tell you 1986 <laugh>

christ its been a long day of :banghead: on sites today therefore im going to retreat to bed :bird:

:bird: < what does that mean? Nite anyway wild. <ok>

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:no hopeless idea even earl Strickland is making a stand against it in pool.

No, Earl Strickland is against the minature cues being used because he sees himself as a pioneer of the jump shot with the full sized cue.

Postby Roland

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:"How about allowing snooker players to play jump shots?" "I would like to see it, just to see what happens"

Tell me your on about players themselves, not using the Cue ball as a reference, because we've already had one of these players..."How about allowing snooker players to play jump shots?" & it was Alex Higgins when he hit the ball, amazing, & he still f**kin potted them. Tho I'm sure all the movement came before & after he hit the ball.

Now, if your trying to tell me that society won't let them type of people into our great sort anymore, then we might be onto something.

:huh:

Obviously I'm on about jumping the white ball over object balls. It's just an idea for discussion - how would the game change? It's not like it's actually going to happen, but I've never seen anyone talk about the pros and cons of the jump shot before, just that in snooker it's not allowed and that's it. What's wrong with playing the jump shot? Watch pool and tell me there's no skill involved.

Sonny wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:"How about allowing snooker players to play jump shots?" "I would like to see it, just to see what happens"

:huh:

Obviously I'm on about jumping the white ball over object balls. It's just an idea for discussion - how would the game change? It's not like it's actually going to happen, but I've never seen anyone talk about the pros and cons of the jump shot before, just that in snooker it's not allowed and that's it. What's wrong with playing the jump shot? Watch pool and tell me there's no skill involved.

Your taking me just a little bit too seriously 1ball.

Yes, I do know what you are on about, & to be honest, having given this some thought, it is quite an interesting concept because yes, I agree, when I have watched some of the pool players play the jump shot, some players can even play position & maintain control of the cue ball after playing the jump shot. That in itself is a pretty hard thing to do & the skill level to be able to master such a short is quite high.

By the way, now you've switched the lights on in this site, from a cosmetic perspective, I like the look of it. <ok>

Postby Wildey

6 reds,time restraint now jumping balls.

every idea is to try and poolise Snooker.

there is no control of a jump shot on a pool table having 12 ft will make it worst.

yes players can screw back off a jump shot but effectadly a jump shot is a screwback that went wrong so on impact most of the time a ball will screw back if you hit the object ball roughly table level.

john sais they maintain control of a cueball well they dont its through luck than judgement.

but it is easier on a 9 ball table because you have got only one object ball. play a jump shot on a snooker table with 15 red object balls see how you go not very well i can promise you.

Postby Roland

Well I only hope that you don't represent the average snooker fan because you've just demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the jump shot.

"no control of a jump shot on a pool table" <doh>

"yes players can screw back but that's because a jump shot is a screwback that went wrong" <doh>

"John says they maintain control of the cueball but it's through luck rather than judgement" <doh>

"but it is easier on a 9 ball table because you have got only one object ball. play a jump shot on a snooker table with 15 red object balls see how you go not very well i can promise you."

<doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Try watching some pool wild and then come back to this topic. I saw Ralf Soquet last night play the most divine jump shot which is what triggered this topic. I bet you don't even know who he is.

Postby Roland

It reminds me of wilds famous quote:

"O'Sullivan plays exactly the same shots as Hendry but he does it faster which isn't better, it's showing off"

rofl

Postby Wildey

Seifer island hatah wrote:wild, do you always stick your oar in when you are out of your depth

<laugh>

the whole concept of playing,watching and defanatly comenting on forums is well above youre depth thats for sure...

seifer you are a 100% plonker totally out of youre depth with everything snooker to the extent youre a complette joke that nobody with a brain would take serious in a million years <ok>

they cant control it they get away with it maybee 1 out of 10 time but it isnt controling the destination of a jump. and on a snooker table it would be 10 times harder.

Postby Lucky

Another good rule change would be 'multi ball'....two whites you both play at the same time, usual snooker rules apply.........probably need a couple of refs, but what a game, think of the tactics involved :redneck:

Postby Seifer Almasy

wildJONESEYE wrote:john is right when you are a site admin youre brain dead.

:clap: When will you be a site admin? Finally we would be able to see how you handle it, instead of sittin back calling people names and then whinging when "knawladageable" posts disappear.

Postby Seifer Almasy

Sonny wrote:It reminds me of wilds famous quote:

"O'Sullivan plays exactly the same shots as Hendry but he does it faster which isn't better, it's showing off"

rofl

That wasn't the best: The best was

"I have no doubt, if Hendry had turned pro with Ronnie. Higgins and Williams, he would have won more....he would have tried even harder, he loved it under pressure"

Postby NedB-H

Sonny wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:no hopeless idea even earl Strickland is making a stand against it in pool.

No, Earl Strickland is against the minature cues being used because he sees himself as a pioneer of the jump shot with the full sized cue.

I would be inclined to do the opposite of whatever Earl Strickland suggests <cool>

Having said that, I can't see when anyone would ever use a jump shot in snooker anyway. The only occasion would be a snooker, and even then you want to get the object ball safe so you'd probably escape a different, less risky way.

Postby Lucky

Did anyone else see it when Earl Strickland came out for a match with 'stilts' taped onto his bridge hand fingers? It was his protest against the jump cue! Michaela Tabb made him remove them, it was bizarre, he couldn't of possible played in them in any case.

Postby Roland

Yes I remember that. I thought it was to give him some advantage during the break shot? Gotta love Earl the Pearl, he's box office because he's such an oddball.

NedB-H - good point. Allowing the jump shot wouldn't change the game that much because most players wouldn't even try to jump and would feel more in control playing off cushions than jumping over balls, but allowing the jump shot would encourage some to try it out and add to the specatcle of snooker. Hell, it might even get people at work talking about it the next day again.

There is an art to the jump shot and snooker is currently missing out.

Postby Roland

Ok well it's goodbye from wildJONESEYE in this particular topic. I would be interested to hear the views of any other members on this one and how they think it would impact on the game of snooker and whether or not it's time for this rule to be overturned.

Can anyone here actually play the jump shot and who do you think is the best proponent of it in pool?

Sonny wrote:Ok well it's goodbye from wildJONESEYE in this particular topic. I would be interested to hear the views of any other members on this one and how they think it would impact on the game of snooker and whether or not it's time for this rule to be overturned.

Can anyone here actually play the jump shot and who do you think is the best proponent of it in pool?

I have played it, using a cue of the rack. I wouldn't dare trying it with my 8.5mm / 9mm tip.

I was more into trying to control the cue ball when playing the soft swerve shot, with stun or screwing back an inch or two. For the jump shot, maybe with a 25oz cue & at least a 12mm tip I'd give it a go, but not with mine. I'd be more worried about me tip than the outcome of the shot. Kudos to people who can tho. <ok>

Postby Lucky

Like Wild says, it all seems like a way of turning snooker into pool, which seems crazy in my eyes, pool has had its time in the sun in the UK and the interest is starting to wain, there isn't even a world championship this year is there. Pool became big over here (9 ball) on the back of the Mosconi Cup which Hearn cleverly built up using the stars of snooker, now that the snooker players no longer take part the cup doesn't hold the same draw in my eyes. Who will ever forget Jimmy and Alex winning the deciding doubles match in the inaugural cup, I watched it last year (an will this, if its on) but would struggle to tell you the final score and who won the last game!

Sorry it was the second cup not the first. And...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Mosconi_Cup

Postby Seifer Almasy

It is just another tactic Lucky. I don't see why there is this armed resistence to change, even when it plainly won't happen.

Jump Shots can be very cool and add something new. I play 8 ball and it is a great thrill to get out of a shot and pot a ball like that.

Postby Lucky

Seifer island hatah wrote:It is just another tactic Lucky. I don't see why there is this armed resistence to change, even when it plainly won't happen.

Jump Shots can be very cool and add something new. I play 8 ball and it is a great thrill to get out of a shot and pot a ball like that.

It would be ok mid frame when the frame was still in the balance as a risk/reward type situation.......but I think it would ruin the tense end of frame when a snooker or two is needed, a full ball snooker with all the balls in the open is missed suprisingly often, if they just jacked up and jump with no fear of leaving the ball on, it would be a bit anti-climaxic. The pro's are pretty adept at jumping when you watch a trickshot comp.

Postby Seifer Almasy

If the snooker is done better a jump shot is not on. If the snooker isn't iron clad, it can be jumped. The onus is on the player to make sure a jump shot isn't on in the first place. It only adds to the skill.