Post a reply

Re: Cazoo Masters Quarter-Finals: Barry Hawkins v Mark Selby

Postby Prop

Ck147 wrote:
Prop wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
Prop wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Dale tearing into the BBC white lines.

Is he with Studd?

Hendon tonight.

Ta. I might switch over. Davis is a bit annoying.

He’s much better in the studio, not so much in the box

Yep. But even in the studio he’s always so vague. Never really says anything without doubling back on it.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:Yep. But even in the studio he’s always so vague. Never really says anything without doubling back on it.

I’m so glad someone else has noticed this!

IIRC you brought it up initially a while ago. It’s one of those things, once you’ve noticed it you can’t help noticing it every time.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:If Barry doesn’t go to the interval 3-1 that’s frankly a huge failure.

Yeah. But so predictably Selby.

Eh. Predictably Barry, really. If it happens.

Factual.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:Yep. But even in the studio he’s always so vague. Never really says anything without doubling back on it.

I’m so glad someone else has noticed this!

IIRC you brought it up initially a while ago. It’s one of those things, once you’ve noticed it you can’t help noticing it every time.

In that case I’m very, very sorry rofl

Postby Iranu

The funny thing about Davis looking at so many options and failing to ever commit to one is that it shows both a) his snooker brain that allowed him to compete for so long and b) how his constant searching for an answer may have hindered him in the latter half of his career.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:The funny thing about Davis looking at so many options and failing to ever commit to one is that it shows both a) his snooker brain that allowed him to compete for so long and b) how his constant searching for an answer may have hindered him in the latter half of his career.

Excellent point. When a player goes past their peak they find themselves in the zone less and less. So rather than playing purely off instinct and not having to apply technical thought, he’d find himself forever analysing shots and struggling to commit to the right one.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:The funny thing about Davis looking at so many options and failing to ever commit to one is that it shows both a) his snooker brain that allowed him to compete for so long and b) how his constant searching for an answer may have hindered him in the latter half of his career.

Excellent point. When a player goes past their peak they find themselves in the zone less and less. So rather than playing purely off instinct and not having to apply technical thought, he’d find himself forever analysing shots and struggling to commit to the right one.

Yeah. I’ve heard that he was constantly tinkering with his technique in his later career, too which was probably a symptom of the same thing.

For example, when and why did he decide to stick his tongue out when on the shot?

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:Hahaha, Ronnie mentions that Selby’s high break this tournament is 64, and you can see Selby stare at him in the background rofl

Selby might not say it, but his 2020 WC loss still hurts him badly.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:

Yeah. I’ve heard that he was constantly tinkering with his technique in his later career, too which was probably a symptom of the same thing.

For example, when and why did he decide to stick his tongue out when on the shot?

Snakes do that to locate their prey, maybe his eye sight was failing so he used his tongue to “see” the ball?

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:

Classic overanalysis <laugh>

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:Hahaha, Ronnie mentions that Selby’s high break this tournament is 64, and you can see Selby stare at him in the background rofl

I don’t think it was anything to do with that <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I don’t think it was anything to do with that <laugh>

Maybe he didn't like hearing it?

Hopefully it spurs Selby on, we want a good match, and not a typical grinding win. Selby himself wants to score heavily.