Topic locked

the Hendry v White thread

Postby Witz78

This clash of the legends of the game on Sunday/Monday is worthy of a thread all of its own id say so get posting here with your thoughts on the upcoming match and any other general banter, match odds, memories of their rivalry you have.

Interestingly enough, despite their well documented rivalry at the World Championships, when it comes to the UK Championship they have actually only met on one occasion, which i found staggering. This came in the 1991 Semi Finals when White won 9-2 <ok>

With Jimmy showing signs of a mini revival in form and fortunes over the last few months with reaching the last 32 of the World Open, winning the Seniors World Championship, making the quarter finals of two PTC Events, not to mention his dominance in the 3 fine qualifying games in the last week, many are touting him to upset Hendry whos been in mixed form in the last 18 months or so but badly requires a win to ensure survival in the top 16 for a bit longer at least.
Last edited by Witz78 on 02 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Re: the Hendry v White thread

Postby Wildey

HOPE IS ALL YOU GOT MATE.

NO HOPE IN HELL :redneck:

Postby Casey

Its a dream tie for both. Jimmy loves playing in the big occasions, from Jimmy’s perspective apart from playing Ronnie its Hendry that will whip up the most interest.
Equally for Hendry I believe he will be glad to play in a high profile first round match rather than the likes of Bingham, Ford Gould etc.
Jimmy out performed Stephen in the PTC series however Hendry made no secret of his ‘personal’ dislike for the setup.
It’s good for the tournament which has lacked spark in recent years; it has also suffered from poor crowds so I am sure Barry Hearn is rubbing his hands at this draw.
Who will win? Well in the last 18 months only Martin Gould has beaten Hendry in the first round of a ranking event, in fact he went through last season without losing a first round ranking match.
Jimmy’s form has much improved away from the cameras from last season, however at the big stage there is still no doubt that Hendry has much more in the tank than White.
Hendry 9-5/6

Postby Wildey

yes Forget the PTC thats will have sod all bearing on the match.

and as for Witz mentioning the Senior World Championship <doh> <doh> hes only Lucky Hendry declined the invitation to play.

in Shanghai Martin Gould played amazing Snooker to beat him and in the World Open he lost 3-1 to Ronnie and played Pretty decent stuff.

Postby Witz78

aussiewild wrote:HOPE IS ALL YOU GOT MATE.

NO HOPE IN HELL :redneck:

Just like hed no hope in hell against Perry? :D

anyway heres a thought.......... :chin:

Jimmy beat Perry 9-6 (01.12.10)
Perry beat Hendry 4-3 (30.10.10)

Therefore Jimmy is better than Perry whos better than Hendry so Jimmy is WAY better than Hendry ;)

na na na na naaaaa naaaaaa :D

Postby Wildey

the fact Hendry won 3 PTC Frames against Perry shows how rubbish his form is anyway.

Postby Witz78

aussiewild wrote:yes Forget the PTC thats will have sod all bearing on the match.

and as for Witz mentioning the Senior World Championship <doh> <doh> hes only Lucky Hendry declined the invitation to play.

in Shanghai Martin Gould played amazing Snooker to beat him and in the World Open he lost 3-1 to Ronnie and played Pretty decent stuff.

ah, so Gould had to play amazing to beat him in Shanghai rofl

im sure at the time you said that Hendry offered nothing in terms of fight in that match :chin:

Postby Wildey

Re: Shanghai Masters Wild Card and 1st Round Discussion !!!!
by aussiewild » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Gould beats Hendry 5-2

and from 2-2 Every Hendry error been punished severly..

Gould playing well enough to win this week.

Re: Shanghai Masters Last 16 Discussion!!!!!!!
by aussiewild » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 pm

I Watched all of that match and Martin Gould played better than anyone so far this tournament.

the closest ive seen to one chance snooker and his safety play was top notch aswell.

Postby Witz78

aussiewild wrote:
Re: Shanghai Masters Wild Card and 1st Round Discussion !!!!
by aussiewild » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Gould beats Hendry 5-2

and from 2-2 Every Hendry error been punished severly..

Gould playing well enough to win this week.

Re: Shanghai Masters Last 16 Discussion!!!!!!!
by aussiewild » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 pm

I Watched all of that match and Martin Gould played better than anyone so far this tournament.

the closest ive seen to one chance snooker and his safety play was top notch aswell.

hmm, i musta been getting mixed up with someone i liked playing well but you just saying their opponent played poo :john:

anyway you still mention Hendry errors being punished, if Hendry had been playing that well he wouldnt have made errors to let Gould in, even if Gould had to do well to take the chances <ok>

Anyway were getting off topic here already, maybe id have been better off calling the thread Witz v Wild, instead of Hendry v White rofl

Postby Wildey

yes he made errors but only one per frame He Proberbly lost that match 5-2 having made 4 Errors thats as well as Gould played...

Hendry did brilliantly to hold Gould at 2-2 then he only got 17 points in the next 3 frames.

Postby Wildey

yes on the Subject in hand ......

i think the 2 matches Hendry has Lost so far this season on Tv will have given him less chances than Jimmy will in the first frame on Sunday.

if hendry takes those chances which i expect him 2 he will win at a canter.

Postby PLtheRef

Ah, the tie I think all neutrals wanted - and thats coming as someone who knows Joe and is disappointed he's not made it.

How do I see this one going? Well firstly I think that having the support behind him Jimmy will do better than he would against one of the other seeds. Plus all the hype of the many meetings between the pair over the last 25 years will be part of the focus.

This is also the draw Jimmy will have relished, hoping to have the one last crack at the man that gave him that much heartbreak at the Crucible. Had it been anyone other than Ronnie or Stephen then you wonder

So then, to the match. Now Jimmy will come into the event feeling a lot more confident this year - To win three matches and win them fairly convincingly will do loads for his confidence and that alone should mean that this could go close. A good opening session vital for White though, he IMO cannot afford to be behind at the end of it if he's 5-3 down then I think Stephen will pull away eventually. If Jimmy can stamp his authority, like yesterday then why not? I think he could have a chance but a lead after Sunday is vital.

My prediction, I'll say 9-6 Stephen with Jimmy running out of steam towards the end. But that doesnt mean I'll be shocked of Jimmy makes it to the last 16

Postby Roland

I just said this in another topic so I'll copy and paste:

when they played in the Premier League every year I couldn't care less, the last meaningful encounter was when Jimmy beat Hendry in round 1 at the Crucible. But this one I will definitely be watching. Apparently Ian Doyle has said Hendry has fire in his belly again and has been practicing hard and we know Jimmy is playing well so it could go all the way.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I just said this in another topic so I'll copy and paste:

when they played in the Premier League every year I couldn't care less, the last meaningful encounter was when Jimmy beat Hendry in round 1 at the Crucible. But this one I will definitely be watching. Apparently Ian Doyle has said Hendry has fire in his belly again and has been practicing hard and we know Jimmy is playing well so it could go all the way.

i can definitely believe hendry has anger and fire in his belly that his career is hanging by the thread of the PTC which he is on record as hating.

but talk is cheap now go out and tear jimmy limb by limb apart <ok>

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:I just said this in another topic so I'll copy and paste:

yeh i saw Ian Doyles comments, he a fairly frequent poster on Matts site and to be fair to him, hes pretty open with his comments and responsive to questions directed to him <ok>

Hendry may have fire in his belly, after losing enthusiam in the last few months with the PTC and continual losses etc but he needs more than just "being up for a match" these days alone to see him through.

Coming into the match, regardless of what anyone says, Jimmy has the better form going into this, certainly hes made winning matches a habit this season unlike Hendry and will have an equal hunger to do well in this match. Dare i say it, but had the carrot of a R1 tie with his old rival Hendry not been dangling in front of him, i suspect he wouldnt even have made it to Telford.

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:2004 Masters

Really? That's odd, I don't remember that. What was the year Jimmy played Ronnie, and everybody booed Ronnie for winning?

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:2004 Masters

Really? That's odd, I don't remember that. What was the year Jimmy played Ronnie, and everybody booed Ronnie for winning?

Yes Jimmy beat Stephen 6-4 <ok> then Ebdon before losing to Ronnie in the semis :mood:

Postby gallantrabbit

It's a shame that few matches capture Hendry's imagination these days cos I think he could put more back into the sport and help the revolution..., BUT this match will. I hope Jimmy will play the balls, not to the crowd, not against the 7 times, keep his nut down on every ball and hopefully put the squeeze on Hendry.
Just don't turn it into a shoot out Jim cos you'll go down in frames. Keep it nice and tight and you might get your best ranking result for yonks.
Be lucky Jim!!

Postby Wildey

there will come a time Stephen Hendry puts Plenty Back but at the moment he is still with the Mind the Selfish single minded Mind that took him to the top but the game is not there to back it up like it was on tap before.

but these matches does get him fired up.

Postby Tubberlad

White could very well take him. It's the greatest rivalry in snooker history as far as I'm concerned in spite of the lack of bite (could make a case for Davis/Higgins). I'll stick my neck out and say 9-7 White...

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:An exclusive peek at tomorrow's preview :redneck:

Hehehe :redneck: yep..... I'm going to have to work around shopping duty though with the final part

Postby GJ

hendooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo