Topic locked

UK Championship preview

Postby Tubberlad

My preview will be placed on the blog very soon, all posts to be linked here :D feel free to give your thoughts

Re: UK Championship preview

Postby Mal

A few good ties in the first round. ..ones I'm looking forward to are:
Allen has played Ford a couple of times in last 32 of events and beaten him, notably the world champs earlier this year. Mark started the season on poor form, and arguably not takin g the PTCs seriously enough, whereas Ford won one of them - Last couple of PTCs, Mark performed better and wasn't far off a finals place in the end. So, I think Mark will win a free flowing game
Maguire against Doherty - I do think that Ken has another run left in him - Maguire can blow hot or cold, so depending on which Maguire turns up, there could be an upset here.
Dott against Gould will be close I think. Of all the qualifiers, I think Gould may be the toughest currently - and although he only scraped through against a resurgent James wattana, that could boost him.
How will Higgins fare at a big event? - Lee could prove a tougher opposition given that he won a PTC earlier this season.
In the other half, only a couple jump out at me - Cope vs Trump should have plenty of attacking player and I think both will perform in this one.
And of course - there is a couple of players called Stephen Hendry and Jimmy White...Hendry has had a poor season in the PTCs, but at the world open I thought he looked ok and just didn't quite perform against Ronnie, so I think on the big stage against the Whirlwind, Stephen will rise to it!

Potential 2 nd round clashes look good too - Ebdon - Robertson, Hendry - Williams, and for me a potential highlight could be Ding - Allen.

Postby GJ

tubbs

tie of the round normally suggests a close match

this one will be a blood bath

tie of the round for me is dott v gould 9-8 written all over it

Postby gallantrabbit

Some nice ties and a lot of players with a lot to prove. I think it could be a right old shoot out. I think the PTCs have been great and I think the majority of the players think so too, but let's face it they've been the starter for events like this. I think the players are primed and there'll be a lot of quality snooker on show, hopefully also from our two grand masters, Jimmy and Stephen.
I've got a nasty feeling that the tie will bring the best out of Stephen, but Jimmy just has to play the balls and forget the man. These points are already invaluable to him and that's what he should be playing for in this game, nothing else.
This new ranking system protects no-one so anyone who wants to stay up top will have to keep performing. It's one more thing the game has been crying out for; no-one on their laurels and everyone zoned on every ball.
Should be quality. Unfortunately I'll be keeping up as usual on live score and any youtube gratefully partaken ;)
Enjoy the UK fellows and ladies. Our game is buzzing :D

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:Tubber, where is your preview?..am looking forward to reading it.

Tonight sometime Randam, with the final part on Friday evening sometime...

Postby Tubberlad

GJtheaussiestud wrote:tubbs

I don't think it will. Hendry is miles from the player he once was, while White has shown some very decent form, his best for a few seasons. It wouldn't at all shock me if White won actually...

Postby SnookerFan

That's not the tie of the round, for the pure reason it's got Dott in it. rofl I wouldn't say it was the tie of the first round, if he was playing Michaela Tabb naked.

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:

That's not the tie of the round, for the pure reason it's got Dott in it. rofl I wouldn't say it was the tie of the first round, if he was playing Michaela Tabb naked.

<doh>

Postby Tubberlad

It'll be an interesting one. I like Dott, savagely underated and a match for anyone on his day. Gould plays the game the right way and is far from a slouch... I'd say 9-7 Dott

Postby Bourne

Just read the blog tubbs, good stuff :ahh: And you put up my avatar too, 5 stars from me !

My thoughts to come later, this is real hard to call :chin:

Postby Wildey

i think tie of the round is subjective there are plenty potential great matches for different reason i think Robbo v McLeod is a interesting one, Cope v Trump another.

but with Hendry and White your talking about one of if not the iconic revelries of our time. they played each other at the crucible 7 out of 11 years at one point 5-2 Hendry leading.

their first Crucible match in 1988 was a superb all out attack match which Jimmy won 13-12 and it did signal the way snooker would be played in the future.

Postby Bourne

We can be sure that next week's match won't be anything like that :)

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:We can be sure that next week's match won't be anything like that :)

their 1998 match was nothing like that either lol

so you could be right :redneck:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I have a ticket for Stephen Hendry vs Jimm White, and I might not be able to get up to Telford. :wild2:

start walking tonight <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

aussiewild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I have a ticket for Stephen Hendry vs Jimm White, and I might not be able to get up to Telford. :wild2:

start walking tonight <ok>

I might have to.

Postby Roland

when they played in the Premier League every year I couldn't care less, the last meaningful encounter was when Jimmy beat Hendry in round 1 at the Crucible. But this one I will definitely be watching. Apparently Ian Doyle has said Hendry has fire in his belly again and has been practicing hard and we know Jimmy is playing well so it could go all the way.

Postby SnookerFan

Well, tomorrow people, I am going to try to get to Telford by hook or by crook. If I'm not online tomorrow, have a good one for the first few days. Providing the country doesn't go down, I'll be back by Tuesday. :wave:

Postby Alex0paul

Don't underestimate Maguire next week. He has a tough draw but has a terrific record in the UK, reaching a final and two semis in the last three years to go with his win 2004.

Postby Roland

If him and Selby clash it will be a good match and could go either way but I'd edge in favour of Selby based on ability to get over the winning line.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:http://www.snookerisland.com/blog/12bet-com-uk-championship-preview-part-2/

Good stuff tubber <ok>

(I added the runner-up occasions as well)

Cheers :) now to watch my predictions crash and burn

Postby Bourne

Would love a Selby vs Robertson match-up, just so we can put this argument to bed ;)

Postby Roland

thetubberlad wrote:
Sonny wrote:http://www.snookerisland.com/blog/12bet-com-uk-championship-preview-part-2/

Good stuff tubber <ok>

(I added the runner-up occasions as well)

Cheers :) now to watch my predictions crash and burn

You're never going to be spot on but it was fair and balanced and that's the main thing.

As for Robbo and Selby being put to bed - one final won't decide it but we seriously need this rivalry to take off. Robbo has Ebdon who is a bogey player for him in his half. Selby has Higgins and O'Sullivan as usual.