UK or Masters ?

UK
70%
MASTERS
30%

Total votes : 20

UK or Masters ?

Postby Wildey

if you was a player coming to the end of your career and a fairy god mother granted you 1 wish to win the UK One Last time or to win the Masters one last time which one would you choose. ??

Re: UK or Masters ?

Postby Rocket_ron

Wild this is the hardest poll ive ever been asked...

UK is a major ranker but masters is prestigue...well if i was coming to the end of my career and rankings points didnt mater then i would choose the masters.

and because the masters is my 2nd fave tourney

So im gonna vote masters...but wild its been a hard decision

Postby SnookerFan

Bit of a subjective question. I mean, surely there are other factors. If you were a legend of the status of Hendry who had won plenty of both. He's won, what, 5 UK titles, and was known as The Master of the The Masters. Surely, he would have a different opinion to somebody who had played their entire career and not one of the above? Knowing Hendry, he'd reject the wish, claiming he wants to win everything. <laugh>

If I had been a player, and won everything, say the amount of times Mark Williams has, 2 Worlds, 2 UKs, 2 Masters (plus the rest) and could decide on one of the two to win, it would still be a hard decision. It would just come down to which venue I liked playing in the most. Maybe veering towards the one with a longer format, but it would be dependent on other factors too.

Postby jadechelsea

i voted UK because its near christmas and its cosy but i do love the masters.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Bit of a subjective question. I mean, surely there are other factors. If you were a legend of the status of Hendry who had won plenty of both. He's won, what, 5 UK titles, and was known as The Master of the The Masters. Surely, he would have a different opinion to somebody who had played their entire career and not one of the above? Knowing Hendry, he'd reject the wish, claiming he wants to win everything. <laugh>

If I had been a player, and won everything, say the amount of times Mark Williams has, 2 Worlds, 2 UKs, 2 Masters (plus the rest) and could decide on one of the two to win, it would still be a hard decision. It would just come down to which venue I liked playing in the most. Maybe veering towards the one with a longer format, but it would be dependent on other factors too.

Hendry would choose the Masters over the UK.

BTW ive not voted on this poll yet because its a very hard question to answer but i asked it the same <laugh>

Postby Bourne

UK every time, Masters is just a glorified exho event.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:UK every time, Masters is just a glorified exho event.

well thats just plain ignorant and stupid.

how the hell can anyone call the masters a exhibition event ???

Postby Bourne

aussiewild wrote:
Bourne wrote:UK every time, Masters is just a glorified exho event.

well thats just plain ignorant and stupid.

how the hell can anyone call the masters a exhibition event ???

Non-ranking, invite only ... what's not exhibition about it ? :chin:

Postby Wildey

ok then Steve Davis has only won the UK Championship 4 times because the other 2 was Non-ranking, invite only for players with a UK Passport ?

Postby Bourne

OK <laugh> That's not exactly answering the question though.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:OK <laugh> That's not exactly answering the question though.

there are 3 Majors in snooker the only question is the masters 2nd or 3rd in priority and prestige.

i cant answer that question at the moment.

Postby sundaygirl

Tough question I'm biased towards the Masters as I have never attended the UK in person.
In the past it was denfinately the 2nd tournament I think it has lost some of it allure recently, firstly when it ceased to be 'the Bensons' and with the move from the conference center.

Postby Wildey

sundaygirl wrote:Tough question I'm biased towards the Masters as I have never attended the UK in person.
In the past it was denfinately the 2nd tournament I think it has lost some of it allure recently, firstly when it ceased to be 'the Bensons' and with the move from the conference center.

yes but i think both UK and the Masters has lost something over the years.

moving from the conference centre and bensons withdrawing was enforced where as the UK has been self inflicted.

Postby gallantrabbit

But both will gain in prestige this year. Why? Because the players feel like pros again and they've been playing in the PTCs all season, so now the big ones are along again they'll feel like they're in a 'real' event again with big prize money and a well known venue and trophy.
And BBC coverage of course.

Postby SnookerFan

I think we are falling into the same trap we did on break-off, when we had that discussion which was more presitgious the Shanghai Masters or the Welsh Open. People just decided which one they liked best, and went with that. Both carry about the same weight, ranking points wise.

SA argued passionately that the Shanghai Masters was more prestigious because it was in China, and there were more people in China. And the Welsh Open 'only got on BBC Wales as oppose to the whole of the BBC." Others argued that the Welsh Open had been played for longer, and that getting a tournament on Eurosport and BBC Wales gave it even more coverage then Shanghai event. And the Welsh Open was on at a more convenient time.

Bottom line is, I wouldn't say either were more prestigious. It ended up that they are both the same, and people were arguing about which one they liked the best. I feel, we might go the same with this argument.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:But both will gain in prestige this year. Why? Because the players feel like pros again and they've been playing in the PTCs all season, so now the big ones are along again they'll feel like they're in a 'real' event again with big prize money and a well known venue and trophy.
And BBC coverage of course.

the UK Needs to go back to longer final and get a format that's fitting of the UK and played back in preston.

playing 24 session of snooker in cubicles is not on.

Postby Smart

aussiewild wrote:if you was a player coming to the end of your career and a fairy god mother granted you 1 wish to win the UK One Last time or to win the Masters one last time which one would you choose. ??

UK by a huge country mile - no contest whatsoever :idea: :no: :idea: :no:

Postby GJ

UK

Postby Witz78

aussiewild wrote:ok then Steve Davis has only won the UK Championship 4 times because the other 2 was Non-ranking, invite only for players with a UK Passport ?

thats not true, the Canadians were at the early UK Championships that Steve won <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
aussiewild wrote:ok then Steve Davis has only won the UK Championship 4 times because the other 2 was Non-ranking, invite only for players with a UK Passport ?

thats not true, the Canadians were at the early UK Championships that Steve won <ok>

yes i dont understand how that worked but there was atleast 1 canadian every year but Cliff Thorburn could not play until it went open in 1984 but big bill,Kirk Stevens and others played before that.

Postby Witz78

aussiewild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

yes i dont understand how that worked but there was atleast 1 canadian every year but Cliff Thorburn could not play until it went open in 1984 but big bill,Kirk Stevens and others played before that.

its a bit puzzling i must agree, it seems they moved the goalposts every year rofl

1977 - UK players only (though Patsy Fagan (Eire) played)
1978 - UK players only (though Patsy Fagan (Eire) played)
1979 - Werbenuik got to the semis
1980 - Werbenuik lost in last 16
1981 - Werbenuik lost in quarters, Stevens and THORBURN lost in last 16. (Steve Davis wins)
1982 - UK players only (and various ones from Eire) (Steve Davis wins)
1983 - UK players only (NO Eire players)

1984 - Becomes a ranker (Steve Davis wins)
and as well as Irish players includes....
4 Canadians (Thorburn, Stevens, Werbeniuk, Gauvreau)
3 Australians (Charlton,King, Campbell)
and 1 Sud A-tree-can (Silvino :bowdown: )

Postby Wildey

so thorburn did play once :huh:

Postby Tubberlad

The UK by an absolute mile. The Masters is a fine tournament, but it's got no ranking points, isn't as long as the UK and just plain isn't as important as the UK which is very much the closest tournament to the World Championship.

UK <ok>

Postby Roland

There's not much in it for me but the UK edges the Masters in format and ranking status. The Masters is easily the next biggest though.

Postby Wildey

Im Really Torn on this.

During the 80s and most of the 90s i had the UK Ahead of the Masters because it did have a Prestiege about it but i feel over the last 10 even 15 years the UK Has lost more Ground than the Masters and they Pretty Level these Days in importance.

Ranking Points isnt a Benchmark for me in Rating Tournaments and what they stand for so i wont take that in to consideration however Length of Matches Does and on that Basis ill Give the Edge by a cigarette Paper to the UK.