Post a reply

HEARN: PLAYERS NEED TO SHAPE UP

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... pe-up.html

HEARN: PLAYERS NEED TO SHAPE UP
Barry Hearn has warned snooker’s top stars to smarten up their acts as he plans the next phase of a revolution he hopes will globalise the sport.

Hearn admits he is far from impressed from the recent behaviour of some of snooker’s leading lights and says he will not stand for anyone neglecting their professional responsibilities.

The World Snooker Ltd chairman today stated that the governing body was close to signing new broadcast deals with the BBC and Eurosport and were looking at staging an extra half dozen events outside the UK.

But I suggested to him that he needs player support to transform the game’s fortunes and that some of them need a wake-up call.

“It’s true and I’ll deal with the players in a balanced way with education on one side and penalties on the other,” Hearn said.

“Punishments will be draconian because I don’t want to take prisoners. If I’m going to give as much time and commitment as I have been to the ongoing increase in tournaments and prize money, I have to expect a similar return from my top players, and some of them are not delivering.

“So we’ll be looking at our player contracts in more detail. There will be bigger penalties for entering tournaments and not turning up. There will be penalties for arriving late.

“I’ve never had all of this in darts. I’ve got 380 players in the PDC and have never had a problem. The real secret is that they’ve been educated properly. I’m afraid some of the snooker players have a bit of an, ‘oh well, it doesn’t really matter’ attitude.

“They’ve been allowed to get away with things for the last few years that I would never allow. I’ve been quite shocked that a couple of them are following that route but they have to be dealt with and I don’t care if their name is Sid Smith or Ronnie O’Sullivan. You know with me that they will be dealt with. There won’t be any tolerance whatsoever.

“For Ronnie entering tournaments and then not turning up, it’s referred to the disciplinary process and there will be harsh financial penalties written into the contracts next year. Neil Robertson turned up with ten minutes to spare at the Premier League last week. It’s a harsh note from me. It’s lack of professionalism on his part and he’s very embarrassed about it. He’ll be told in future he’ll be expected to turn up six hours before the match, not one, if he wants to play in my events in the future. Ding smashed the pack in an EPTC. That’s gone to a disciplinary.

“Dave Douglas has a range of issues to sort out, including players who didn’t turn up to the opening press conference in Shanghai, because they didn’t think it really mattered – well let’s see what Mr. Douglas has to say about that. There’s a price to pay. John Higgins has paid a price for being unprofessional in some aspects. Other players will have to as well. Going forward, you either play under my rules or you don’t play at all. It doesn’t matter who you are.

“Over the next few weeks you’ll read certain things and say, ‘blimey, he was actually telling us the truth.’ We are a professional sport and 99% of players act like professionals all the time. But snooker has been stuck in the mire, going nowhere, and there’s a certain attitude among certain players that it doesn’t really matter. They’re being educated now. Some of them are quite surprised I’m delivering the things I said I would and they need a wake-up call to be more professional.

“In other sports I’m involved in I don’t have any of this. In snooker, the contracts haven’t been tight enough and people abuse it, but they don’t abuse it with me twice. I bumped into one them who said, ‘you won’t discipline me.’ Trust me, I’d do it to my mum, and she’s dead.

“I need the top players to illustrate to the younger players the rules that exist, on etiquette. They all come from the top players. If your kid at home watches a footballer take a dive, when he’s out playing for the under 11’s, he’ll take a dive because he’s seen it on TV. That’s not good. We have to set the standards. In the 1980s, it was all built on the bowtie image and that’s one that carries a huge financial premium.

“When I was in Shanghai I couldn’t believe the red carpet treatment I got. I mean, I know I’m important but I was astonished how well I got treated. Then I’m in my hotel room in Bangkok and the phone goes. It’s the prime minister’s office asking if I’d go and see him. It shows you how big this sport is. It all comes about through the image you create And this is where the top players have a responsibility to the game.”

Barry of course is right. And I must say that I have seen unprofessional conduct from other players than those he points at in the 2 EPTCs I've attended also, including top players.

Re: HEARN: PLAYERS NEED TO SHAPE UP

Postby gallantrabbit

Got to love this fellow. he wants me (and women of course..) playing in his tournaments. Ones that won't sit and whinge and wonder about yesteryear, ones that are willing to stick something back into the game and help to promote it, not just wait for events and prize money to fall into their laps.
Barry Hearn :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

To right

one man cant transform the sport its a team effort and although i understand why hendry hates going to these evens i think he owes it to the sport to promote it for future players so id start with punishing him.

also Ronnie needs sorting for entering everything even being on the program for brugge and not going.

i also think some fans got a ohhh it doesent really matter atetute which quite frankly stinks.

snooker players needs to wake up sharpy's.

Postby gallantrabbit

Yes short memory span. Were'nt they moaning this time last year too? Something about not having enough playing opportunities?
Even if we take next year's schedule there are 29 events, that makes 30 weeks (2 for the Crucible) if they get on well in all events, out of 52 weeks. Not a bad holiday period methinks..

Postby Wildey

I bumped into one them who said, ‘you won’t discipline me.’

arrogant hammer

Trust me, I’d do it to my mum, and she’s dead.

and <laugh>

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Hearn :clap: <ok> :ahh: :bowdown:

Take two guessing who the player he pumped into was....... ;)

we dont really know that mate.

Postby Casey

wildJONESYBOYO wrote:
case_master wrote:Hearn :clap: <ok> :ahh: :bowdown:

Take two guessing who the player he pumped into was....... ;)

we dont really know that mate.

I would be willing to put a large some of money on it. Think about it, its hardly Ding.....

Postby Smart

Love this. :D

We thought "did Ding get away with it", no sir, that was a disgrace.

Robbo has a big issue with organisation, and its not gone un-noticed.

ROS cannot treat organisers of whatever level tournament in the way he has, again - its all been noted.

OKAY BARRY - HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR - LETS SEE THE PUNISHMENT METED OUT........ :idea: <ok> :idea: <ok>

Postby gallantrabbit

And he hasn't exactly gone out of his way with the PTCs...Ok he's got a nice 250 grand cushion plus how much from the W Open, but be a bit forward thinking Robbo!

Postby Witz78

wildJONESYBOYO wrote:
I bumped into one them who said, ‘you won’t discipline me.’

arrogant hammer

[quote]

Well its pretty obvious its Tony Drago, the Maltese mafia boss whos above the law and told Hearn where to stick his threats, aint it......... :chin:

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:Love this. :D

We thought "did Ding get away with it", no sir, that was a disgrace.

Robbo has a big issue with organisation, and its not gone un-noticed.

ROS cannot treat organisers of whatever level tournament in the way he has, again - its all been noted.

OKAY BARRY - HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR - LETS SEE THE PUNISHMENT METED OUT........ :idea: <ok> :idea: <ok>

£75,000 each would be appropriate :)

Postby Wildey

i just dont think financial Punishement will be Good enough its time the Sport gets Tough.

Give the PTC The Respect or get a Ban from a Major Tournament and let committed Players Get in to those Events.

Postby Roland

If you don't want to play in an event, don't enter. You will lose ground to your peers but that's your own fault. I don't think that should be punishable, but entering and then not showing up, or blatantly not trying should be.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:If you don't want to play in an event, don't enter. You will lose ground to your peers but that's your own fault. I don't think that should be punishable, but entering and then not showing up, or blatantly not trying should be.

I agree with that, certainly not showing up and not having the basic courtesy to notify the organisers.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If you don't want to play in an event, don't enter. You will lose ground to your peers but that's your own fault. I don't think that should be punishable, but entering and then not showing up, or blatantly not trying should be.

yes i have no problem with not entering them or even giving notice they cant make events but you must give people notice and try 110% otherwise barry hearn will be snake hissing against the wind trying turning snooker around.

to attract sponsors you have to be committed to the couse and if i was a snooker player reading that article and hearing Barry saying that Dart Players had a more professional Atatute id be ashamed.

Postby Smart

I feel like this is almost too good to be true for BH.

This is a perfect PR tool to big up Barry. There are 3 instances here that are not acceptable. The 2 that I find most annoying are the no-show from players and the Ding incident.

Being late whether or not it happens once or several times is just plain unprofessional. It looks bad on the sport just like it looks bad in any other walk of life if someone is persisistently late for meetings or late for the start of the day.

Ding's break off was messing with the game - the integrity was brought clearly into question, and Ding was foolish enough to do so whilst an innocent on-looker was viewing thru their camera-phone. I find that incident most distasteful and sort of like a 2 fingers at the event and those actually watching in the arena. Players have to give their all whatever the event.

:idea:

Postby Noel

Time for "Tough Love" girls!
And after Barry properly spanked John Higgins...

=o)

Noel
Last edited by Noel on 23 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Casey

Barry mentions that 300+ enter the darts equivalent, i guess that whats need to cover the £30,000 prize fund. I can only imagine the whole series made a loss?

Postby GJ

iF Barry is trying to target robbo he can get lost dont see him slagging off ronald

hypocrite HEARN

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:iF Barry is trying to target robbo he can get lost dont see him slagging off ronald

hypocrite HEARN

he is slagging off everyone and quite rightly...

they need to take their faces from their ass and realise Hearn is DEADLY Serious here and Robbo knows that.

Postby GJ

wildJONESYBOYO wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:iF Barry is trying to target robbo he can get lost dont see him slagging off ronald

hypocrite HEARN

he is slagging off everyone and quite rightly...

they need to take their faces from their ass and realise Hearn is DEADLY Serious here and Robbo knows that.

WELL THE COMMENT MADE ABOVE ROBBO WOULDNT SAY THAT SORT OF THING IT ISNT HIS STYLE

Postby Wildey

yes that was no way Neil Robertson in fact he publicly apologised to Barry with Andy Goldstein and said if he was invited back next year no way would it happen again.

Postby GJ

i bumped into one them who said, ‘you won’t discipline me.’

im trying to work out which player would have said that

:chin: