Post a reply

WHAT HAS THE PTC DONE FOR US?

Postby Wildey

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... or-us.html

The first staging of the Players Tour Championship is now at an end.

Going purely on player participation and the opportunities at has afforded them it has to be judged a success.

Without the players, the PTC would have been an expensive folly but the vast majority of the circuit has embraced them for what they are: the chance to keep match sharp and earn money and ranking points.

Mindset is crucial going to any tournament and the PTC is no different. Those players who turned up feeling negative about it did not do well; many of those who went into the tournaments relishing the extra opportunities to play and earn money have got the rewards.

It’s amazing how complacent people can become very quickly. Let’s go back to a year ago. There were six ranking events and a series of downmarket, poorly subscribed Pro Challenge Series events played in clubs, one with only six reds, which fizzled out due to player apathy, which was largely due to the fact there were no ranking points available.

Next season World Snooker will stage at least 29 events. The PTC accounts for 13 of these. It represents a huge increase in playing opportunity for professionals and amateurs.

The set up and conditions have not been perfect but this was the first year and mistakes were inevitable. To have got the concept off the ground so quickly was actually a very creditable effort.

Would any player – hand on heart – want snooker to go back to how it was 12 months ago?

The bottom line is this: if you don’t want to play in the PTCs, don’t play in them. Sit at home. Do something else instead.

Barry Hearn has made good on his stated objective which was not to spoon feed players ‘guarantees’ and leave them nicely cosseted in a set ranking position. No, he said he would give them all opportunities and what they did with them was up to them.

For a very small number of players – Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O’Sullivan and Steve Davis would fit the bill – the PTCs are a come down. I can well understand why Hendry, for instance, doesn’t like them after the majesty of his career.

But try telling Marcus Campbell they’re a bad idea. Try telling Barry Pinches or Tom Ford or Michael Holt.

Players have previously had months – literally – between matches but now they have the option to play pretty much every week. And, again, if they are successful they are rewarded.

Among the smears and lies spread by Hearn’s coterie of enemies was that he would cut the circuit to 32 players. In fact, far from being an elitist he has set up a series that has mainly benefitted players lower down the rankings.

It’s true that expenses take their toll, particularly when travelling abroad. The other side of that coin, though, is that it’s £10,000 to the winner, so, again, those who do well reap the rewards.

I commend Shaun Murphy and Mark Selby in particular for their attitudes toward these events, including playing in them when it was obvious they had already qualified.

Big names competing will in itself grow the sport because it acts as a spur to amateurs and those junior players in the various European locations. They will have been inspired by the chance to play some of the leading lights of the sport and will be hungry for more in the future.

Hearn and his team can learn from this inaugural staging of the PTC. I think he would accept in hindsight that it was a mistake to stipulate players had to enter at least three PTCs and EPTCs in order to qualify for the grand finals. In the cold light of day it’s crazy that Ding Junhui and John Higgins, who won titles, cannot now go to Dublin next March. I expect next season’s qualification to be based either on, say, the best eight results or purely on the money list.

The set up in Sheffield is not perfect, not least because there is no room for spectators. Hearn has been saddled with this facility by the previous board but it seems unlikely all six British PTCs will be played there next season. The excellent South West Snooker Academy in Gloucester must be a leading contender to host a couple in 2011/12.

The EPTCs were open to spectators and it is these that have the capacity to grow into bigger events in years to come. There may well be some in Asia in the very near future too.

Snooker does not just exist at the very highest level. It doesn’t revolve exclusively around the Crucible and Wembley. Any sport needs a proper structure that runs from the very top right down to the grass roots. The PTC can play its part in this.

Ultimately playing snooker for the 96 main tour players is a profession. There’s a clue there in the job title: professional snooker player.

There is not a market or the finances for dozens more major ranking tournaments but the PTCs have provided much needed matches, money and points.

Fine tuning is required but this innovation is a welcome addition to the calendar.

Re: WHAT HAS THE PTC DONE FOR US?

Postby Noel

Hearns' constituency was the players and he got the "have-nots" on side. Props!
In fact his greatest initial achievement was proving that he could get the sport played in a vacuum.
Now it's time to move on. Get the lights and cameras turned on. See if he can get the other side of the
essential balance in "professional" sports going on, and that's entertainment.
For me until now the PTC has been just a dress rehearsal.
Now let's see him generate a REAL audience.
The whole world is waiting, ripe & ready.

=o)

Noel

Postby Wildey

yes next Season im Looking for

Streaming of All Events
Crowd interaction in British PTC
Qualifying Criteria must stay but 2 British and 4 Europe.... Players must show commitment to get the Benefit

Postby gallantrabbit

Anyone who thinks PTCs are a failure is a big whingeing girl, player or fan alike.
It's the first step. Do you think Hearn wants events without spectators or a great deal of prize money?? Course not but if you want him to extract a fortune from a recession hit market you are also short sighted.
The standrd will have gone up because of these events and the whole joke of it as Hendon said is that Hearn was planning to be elitist. As he says, ask Holt, Campbell, Gould etc what they think.
I too applaud Selby, Murphy, Jimmy etc. These are guys that don't need to play for 10 grand, but that know that they have a duty, not only Matchroom and Hearn to promote the game and are doing their job. Soi they were all prepared to travel to Prague etc, great.
29 events next year is an absolute dream and through live streaming etc we will eventually be able to follow better.
But be patient, it'll be worth the wait.

Postby Wildey

i think its important also that the Finals is one Hell of a spectacle to show Players what they missing.

if they could get Goffs back as a Venue for this then Playing there would be a brilliant incentive for players to slum it for 12 events.

Postby Roland

Yeah why not take it to Goffs? I guess that's the obvious choice and wasn't possible. Must've failed a Health and Safety test or something knowing how the world is today.

Postby Tubberlad

Never been to Goffs, but a cracking atmosphere by all accounts. Nor have I been to the helix, it's used mainly for television shows if my mind serves me correct.

Wild: it won't be a marvellous spectacle. Higgins, Davis, Ding, Robertson all missing, and crucially, Ronnie won't be there. It's also been put on at time that clashes with the biggest drinking day of the year (Paddys) and a sporting event that captures the whole country (Cheltenham).

I'm not complaining too much though, it's fantastic to have a serious event back in Ireland, and the PTC overall has been a success.

Postby Roland

I've had it confirmed in PM that yes, it was down to Health and Bastard Safety as wild would say. What a surprise, I knew that would be the reason because Goffs is the obvious place to hold it. How come the Snooker Legends can play there? Growing up, Goffs was a legendary place you used to read about but never see on television. It was obvious the Irish B&H was one of the main events on the calendar to all the players but it never stayed the course to become snooker's 4th major which is such a shame.

Maybe with a bit of time it will make a resurgence. It's pretty obvious from Snooker Island that there are a lot of snooker fans in Ireland.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Never been to Goffs, but a cracking atmosphere by all accounts. Nor have I been to the helix, it's used mainly for television shows if my mind serves me correct.

Wild: it won't be a marvellous spectacle. Higgins, Davis, Ding, Robertson all missing, and crucially, Ronnie won't be there. It's also been put on at time that clashes with the biggest drinking day of the year (Paddys) and a sporting event that captures the whole country (Cheltenham).

I'm not complaining too much though, it's fantastic to have a serious event back in Ireland, and the PTC overall has been a success.

i personally prefer to see some well known faces missing it makes it more exciting.

i don't buy this notion players make a tournament the play makes the tournament not the players.

but i was talking more about the surroundings where Robbo, Ronnie,Ding etc looking at home thinking what a goof id rather be there playing what a crowd.

Postby Wildey

health and safety is the biggest hindrance to our lives.

kids cant play with conkers.<doh>

claiming trees something kids been doing for ever all of a sudden is a no no <doh>

what is it with Goffs i supose theres wooden seating and they scared someone might put it on fire <doh>

mind the language bucking idiots

Postby Roland

:redneck:

So are you with Cameron in his quest to rid the UK of H&S bull?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen what good it can do. If the UK had a ski resort it would have rubber mats on every step and a bannister to grab hold of when going to the toilet in ski boots, but if you saw some of the rubbish I had to deal with at work in a H&S capacity then you'd see why I knew the reason Goffs probably wasn't chosen. It's ok for the Snooker Legends though...

Postby Casey

Typical. I went to the Helix for a field trip with school years ago. It’s a decent arena and I guess it will be one table unless they use a conference room for another table.
As tuber says it being on St Patricks day is a problem, luckily that’s the first day of the event so leading into the weekend shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I will certainly get down for a couple of the days, the Saturday for sure. Any news on the format etc.

Postby wheelsofsteel

It makes it look as if there is a lot more snooker taking place, but to snooker fans only. Most people don't have a clue about what is going on and I can't wait to see Hazel Irvine trying to explain rankings and things to viewers on the BBC. That will be interesting. I thought these tournaments were going to be on the internet?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote::redneck:

So are you with Cameron in his quest to rid the UK of H&S bull?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen what good it can do. If the UK had a ski resort it would have rubber mats on every step and a bannister to grab hold of when going to the toilet in ski boots, but if you saw some of the rubbish I had to deal with at work in a H&S capacity then you'd see why I knew the reason Goffs probably wasn't chosen. It's ok for the Snooker Legends though...

of course something need sorting regarding H & S that is only common sense but the key word is common sense its just gone bananas now to the point parents cant take a video of school play.

i know of a school where running on the tar mac outside is banned in case they trip and hurt themselves so how does that tackle obesity where they ban kids from running <doh>

its just gone potty