Post a reply

The Sun uses Selby v Ronnie rivalry to promote Power Snooker

Postby Roland

MARK SELBY reckons his rivalry with Ronnie O'Sullivan is simmering nicely.

The Leicester Jester is one of the few to have the three-time world champion's number.

Selby, 27, came back from 9-6 down to dump The Rocket 10-9 in this year's classic Masters final on O'Sullivan's home patch at Wembley.

And Selby won another edgy clash to down the 34-year-old Essex Exocet in the Crucible quarter-finals in April.

O'Sullivan has had a dig at Selby by saying he "can be really slow" and lumped him in with grinders Peter Ebdon and Graeme Dott.

The pair are in action at the inaugural Power Snooker event at the Indigo2 Arena tomorrow. Selby insisted: "I'm not a stupidly slow player. I haven't got a problem with Ronnie, but he's not someone I particularly practise with or talk to.

"I say hello to him and he says hello back.

"We have played each other in a couple of big finals and people tell me it's a good match-up. There is a clash of styles there. Ronnie is bang, bang, bang, and really quick, whereas I am hot and cold.

"That makes it a good rivalry and sport needs that.

"The Masters win was especially pleasing and I did show it at the time.

"To beat Ronnie from three down with four to play was special and meant a lot to me." The pair, two of an elite invited field of eight, could clash again this weekend.

O'Sullivan must first beat Belgian wonderkid Luca Brecel, 15, while Selby breaks off against Ali Carter.

Power Snooker is a revolutionary, quickfire form of the game, featuring a 20-second shot-clock.

Half-hour matches are for total points, not frames - and there are double-points Power Plays after potting a Power Ball red.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... ocket.html

Re: The Sun uses Selby v Ronnie rivalry to promote Power Sno

Postby SnookerFan

I bet Selby and the erm... Essex Exocet end up losing the first round games now. <laugh>

With respect to all the players, I'd hardly call it an elite field of 8 either. Brecel is up and coming and isn't exactly the elite. And you may have been able to call Jimmy White the elite in 1994, but not now.