Topic locked

Ronnie delighted as his father is freed

Postby Monique

http://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/wor ... livan.html

O'SULLIVAN DELIGHT AFTER FATHER FREED
By Rosa Silverman, Press Association

Ronnie O'Sullivan said he was "delighted" to be reunited with his father, who was released from prison on Friday.

Ronnie O'Sullivan Snr was jailed for life in 1992 for the murder of father-of-two Bruce Bryan.

He walked free from prison in Derby today and headed back to Essex for an emotional reunion with his son and the rest of the family.

O'Sullivan Jnr, the three-times world champion known to fans as the Rocket, said: "I am delighted to be reunited with my dad after so long.

"He has repeatedly expressed how sorry he is to the victim's family and to the authorities.

"My dad now wishes to readjust to a world which has changed dramatically since he went to prison.

"He wishes to do that quietly, privately and as a man who is deeply sorry about the circumstances and hurt caused and which led to his imprisonment.

"My dad and I are hopeful that the press and media will respect these sentiments and also that my dad will be allowed the privacy he needs at this time."

The snooker star has frequently spoken of his affection for his father.

Asked in 2003 whether his father would have accompanied him to tournaments had he not been jailed, O'Sullivan replied: "Definitely, because we are best mates.

"A lot of the reasons I continue playing are really about him. It's difficult to turn away because snooker is something that keeps him going."

All the best to them all.
Last edited by Monique on 19 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ronnie delighted as his father is freed

Postby Witz78

divided loyalties over this, what with being a Ronnie fan but also a fan of the Krays, but lets hope that Ronnie pushes on and continues the recent PL form into the UK and beyond to let his dad see in person some glory.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:divided loyalties over this, what with being a Ronnie fan but also a fan of the Krays, but lets hope that Ronnie pushes on and continues the recent PL form into the UK and beyond to let his dad see in person some glory.

It's not about being a fan of anyone.
The man had been condemned and has paid his debt to society. His son, his family, who aren't responsible for what he did has suffered for about 19 years because of this. It is never easy for the relatives, there is the pain, the shame, the stigma...
They deserve to be able to try to rebuild their relationship away from media exposure.

Postby Roland

Anyway those of us who have followed Ronnie since his dad was first imprisoned will have heard him talk fondly of the man he worshipped many times. We all know how much his fathers imprisonment affected Ronnie's life, and is (partly) responsible for his depression, although I think that's part and parcel of being a bona fide genius.

I hope his fathers release will release some of Ronnie's demons and that he can be a freer spirit and wish them all the best for the future.

Postby Noel

As a son. As a father of a son. I say nothing compares to a father and son reunion.
May this inspire them both. They deserve that.
Man, the world is a crazy place.
Dig it.

=o)

Noel

Postby Roland

This is how The Sun have reported it:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... -free.html

SNOOKER star Ronnie O'Sullivan's killer father has been permanently released from jail.

Ronnie Snr had served an 18-year sentence for murder.

He had previously been out on day and weekend release for almost two years.

But he is now free after leaving HMP Sudbury, Derbyshire, after completing his sentence for knifing a man to death.

Driver Bruce Bryan was killed in 1992 following an incident at a nightclub in Chelsea, West London, the previous year.

It is thought that father and son will meet up over the coming days, along with the player's two children Lily and Ronnie Jnr.

During O'Sullivan's 19-year career he has often struggled to come to terms with his dad being in prison.

Ronnie Snr has never seen his son win any of his 22 ranking titles.

O'Sullivan, 34, has suffered with various problems during his career including drugs and depression.

But he has never wavered in his support of his dad who made millions running a string of sex shops in London's Soho.

Ronnie has consistently attributed his success to his father, who had a snooker room built in the family home for him as a child.

The former World No 1 - who has won more than £6million in prize money from the game - once said of his dad's imprisonment: "That sentence was so over the top it was frightening."

There was no response from O'Sullivan's home in Chigwell, Essex, last night.

and on a similarish theme

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... bbery.html

I'm saying nothing :redneck:

Postby Casey

The former World No 1 - who has won more than £6million in prize money from the game - once said of his dad's imprisonment: "That sentence was so over the top it was frightening

:?

Although wouldn't it be fun to work for the Sun 'say what you like mate' <laugh>

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:So the father, the son and the grand-son are all called Ronnie. Thats gotta be confusing at family do's or if they are having a kick-about game of footie out the garden......... :| :santa: :| :santa:

Or clubbing? <laugh> :farmer: