Post a reply

Jump Shots In Snooker?

Postby Carnagepooltricks

So jump shots are illegal in Snooker and English Pool, but after playing around with American Pool a fair bit it does make me wonder what snooker would be like if you were allowed to legally jump the cue ball. The white ball will leave the baize with just a little angle on the cue and when playing solo I will jump the very edge of a blocking ball by just raising the butt in the air a bit. I've kinda got used to that.

But yeah could you imagine a game of snooker where players whip out a jump cue and clear a full ball to escape a snooker? I will admit it is a shame sometime watching American pool when the perfect safety is played and the jump cue comes out and they run the rack, but I guess that's part of the appeal. I get that it wouldn't be viable from a baize point of view but if that wasn't an issue would you think you could enjoy snooker being played that way?

Here's a jump shot video of some legal game escapes I filmed in 9 ball to give you an idea of what could happen on a snooker table https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EjneYCpqBU

Re: Jump Shots In Snooker?

Postby Dragonfly

I personally wouldn't like it. I find it interesting the way players in snooker work out the angles and judge the pace to escape from being snookered. Just jumping the ball is a bit crude. But in a game like pool which is faster I don't mind it. I wouldn't be trying it in my local though, there goes the cloth!

Postby Carnagepooltricks

Dragonfly wrote:I personally wouldn't like it. I find it interesting the way players in snooker work out the angles and judge the pace to escape from being snookered. Just jumping the ball is a bit crude. But in a game like pool which is faster I don't mind it. I wouldn't be trying it in my local though, there goes the cloth!

I completely agree, however for maybe just a one off tournament I would be interested to see what it would look like. You could maybe ban jump cues themselves and only allow normal cues. You can still get some really good elevation going with just a normal cue stick, especially rebounding off of a cushion.

Postby Jack50

You can't allow it, because if a player damages the baize you are in big trouble.

Postby Carnagepooltricks

Jack50 wrote:You can't allow it, because if a player damages the baize you are in big trouble.

Yeah I get that that would be a problem using a jump cue, how about fitting an American pool cloth to a snooker table, they've tried some pretty crazy ideas in the past https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7pNJqtXwY

However using a normal cue and going for a 1/8 or 1/4 ball jump wouldn't be any worse on the baize than a masse.

That said I really couldn't imagine many people would be happy if they started letting people do that, no one likes change right? ;)

Postby Jack50

Yes, if you fit a cloth that will never damage (at all) then I would be happy to allow jump shots.

Postby SnookerEd25

We might never have had Alan ‘angles’ McManus, but we could have had ‘Jumpin’ Judd Trump :hmmm:

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:We might never have had Alan ‘angles’ McManus, but we could have had ‘Jumpin’ Judd Trump :hmmm:

Jumpin’ Jack Flash Lisowski, surely?

I’ll get me coat.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:We might never have had Alan ‘angles’ McManus, but we could have had ‘Jumpin’ Judd Trump :hmmm:

Jumpin’ Jack Flash Lisowski, surely?

I’ll get me coat.

It's a gas, gas, gas.

Postby Running side

A micued jump shot might cause young Lucas a problem if it hit him in the Kleckers.

Postby Prop

Running side wrote:A micued jump shot might cause young Lucas a problem if it hit him in the Kleckers.

<laugh>

Postby chengdufan

Going back to the topic, I'm all in favour of jumpers being included in the new dress code. Some of the venues are freezing.

Postby Prop

Running side wrote:Think of Binghams new shaved head in a polo neck jumper

How puerile…

You’ve found my level <laugh>