Post a reply

Dress codes in Snooker should be abolished

Postby Jack50

I would like dress codes to be abolished in male and female snooker. I believe the only dress code should be that you have to wear something that would legally be allowed in public or say a restaurant. So stuff like not wearing a shirt clearly not allowed. Long term I believe the standard would improve. The players would be more comfortable and be able to play in their own natural image. I would like to see Mark Selby and Reanne Evans (and everyone else) in the World Snooker Championship be able to wear what they wanted so they can play in a more natural manner.

Jack

Re: Dress codes in Snooker should be abolished

Postby SnookerFan

You're going to have a hard-sell with this one on this site.

I've said before that I don't give a stuff about dress codes, because I just don't really. I watch for the snooker, not for the fashion. I barely notice what they're wearing really, unless it's something eye-catching or outlandish. If anything, wearing formal gear I would suggest is uncomfortable to play in with all the bending and stretching that you do. Why not change it to something more comfortable?

For most people though, it's a huge deal. Part of the tradition and the gentlemanly aspect of the game. And part of what attracted them to the sport. A lot of people on here will argue very passionately for not changing the dress code.

Postby Jack50

SnookerFan wrote:You're going to have a hard-sell with this one on this site.

I've said before that I don't give a stuff about dress codes, because I just don't really. I watch for the snooker, not for the fashion. I barely notice what they're wearing really, unless it's something eye-catching or outlandish. If anything, wearing formal gear I would suggest is uncomfortable to play in with all the bending and stretching that you do. Why not change it to something more comfortable?

For most people though, it's a huge deal. Part of the tradition and the gentlemanly aspect of the game. And part of what attracted them to the sport. A lot of people on here will argue very passionately for not changing the dress code.

That's what I'm saying. More formal stuff is less comfortable from all points of view. There might be a player that would dress in formal attire anyway (that's up to them). Just saying it would be nice for the players to have more options.

Dan-cat wrote:Are there any other sports where players are allowed to wear their own clothes?

You've got to think about how it looks on TV.

There are hardly any individual sports that are popular. Golf is another sport which shouldn't have a dress code.

Dan-cat wrote:Have u seen how some of the players dress when not playing?

It would be a dog's dinner.

I'm watching the snooker and want the standard to be higher.

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Have u seen how some of the players dress when not playing?

It would be a dog's dinner.

Some of them wear jewellery from Argos.

Can you believe that?

FROM ARGOS!!!!

That's up to them.

Postby HustleKing

No thank you.

Bad enough having to put up with O'Sullivan's monkey hands, without having to see his monkey arms too (and Lord knows what his legs and feet look like!)

Postby Jack50

Dan-cat wrote:
Jack50 wrote:
I'm watching the snooker and want the standard to be higher.

I hear you. But then I assume you don't work in TV Production / sports promotion, where the look and feel is part of the show.

Hard to say what would happen if they opened things up. You only live once. Maybe it's worth it.

Postby Dan-cat

For every straight-off-the-pages-of-GQ Judd, Jack, and Theppy, there would be other players (not naming any names) who would be scruffy... not a good look.

The dress code could be adapted, there could be a compromise, but there would be a lot of moving parts to find an agreement (WST, all the TV companies)

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Are there any other sports where players are allowed to wear their own clothes?

To be honest, it's not the dress code's existence that actually bothers me. Because you're right, it exists in all sports.

I just think formal wear doesn't look very comfortable to play snooker in, with all the bending over and stretching. Most other sports wear clothes that are comfortable for the person to play in. (Apart from maybe Beach Volleyball.)

I can't think of another sport that insists that players play in waistcoats and trousers ether.

Postby Dragonfly

I have no problem with more casual dress for some of the minor events. For the major events I like the dress code. I think it adds to the sense of occasion. And with large TV audiences watching it just looks more professional

Postby Iranu

Formal wear can be very comfortable and I’m sure people who wear it year-round know what they need to buy to be comfortable at the table.

The dress code adds an element of class to snooker and differentiates it from other sports. Speaking for myself it was part of what drew me to the game.

A bit of variation here and there is fine like with the Home Nations.

But abolishing the dress code completely is a terrible idea and would strip snooker of one of the things that makes it unique.

Postby Running side

SnookerFan wrote:

To be honest, it's not the dress code's existence that actually bothers me. Because you're right, it exists in all sports.

I just think formal wear doesn't look very comfortable to play snooker in, with all the bending over and stretching. Most other sports wear clothes that are comfortable for the person to play in. (Apart from maybe Beach Volleyball.)

I can't think of another sport that insists that players play in waistcoats and trousers ether.

Thinking beach Volleyball and snooker I'm stuck with Big Bill abd even bigger Stephen Lee in my head, glad I'm fasting today.

Postby csprince

maybe ditch the waistcoat and bow tie keep the shirt all the players wearing the same black polo shirt looks a bit samey.allow different colours for variety.

Postby Prop

Running side wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Thinking beach Volleyball and snooker I'm stuck with Big Bill abd even bigger Stephen Lee in my head, glad I'm fasting today.

pmsl

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:Formal wear can be very comfortable and I’m sure people who wear it year-round know what they need to buy to be comfortable at the table.

The dress code adds an element of class to snooker and differentiates it from other sports. Speaking for myself it was part of what drew me to the game.

A bit of variation here and there is fine like with the Home Nations.

But abolishing the dress code completely is a terrible idea and would strip snooker of one of the things that makes it unique.

This. A well-fitted suit is one of the most comfortable things to wear. Just ask Guy Ritchie.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:This. A well-fitted suit is one of the most comfortable things to wear. Just ask Guy Ritchie.

Guy Ritchie is known to wear particularly comfortable suits, is he? :shrug:

Indeed. You should listen to his Joe Rogan chat, very illuminating. Inspiring guy for me. Pun intended.

Here's a short clip of him talking about suits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIlWcH6 ... l=JREClips

Postby SnookerFan

We always act like the debate is "dress code" vs "the players can wear anything they like". There could always have a dress code where less formal attire is allowed.

I guess they've started doing that in some events though.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:We always act like the debate is "dress code" vs "the players can wear anything they like". There could always have a dress code where less formal attire is allowed.

I guess they've started doing that in some events though.

Having said that, I am using the word "debate" loosely. I doubt they'll get rid of the waistcoats and bow-ties completely either way.

Postby Dan-cat

The current dress code does allow for a lot of variety, interesting shirts, shoes, different coloured suits and tie styles. It does allow for the player to express their personality.

I'm considering implementing a dress code on Snooker Island. #LordingIt