Topic locked

Grand Final in Ireland

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... eland.html?
Quote:
TV SNOOKER RETURNS TO IRELAND
The Republic of Ireland will once again play host to a televised snooker tournament when the grand finals of the Players Tour Championship come to the Helix Theatre in Dublin next March.

It will feature the top 24 eligible players from the PTC order of merit following EPTC6 in Prague this weekend.

The Irish Masters was a hugely popular tournament with fans and players but has not been staged since 2005.

It will be interesting to see whether Ireland, traditionally a snooker hotbed, will embrace this new event.

The field will include some well known faces – including Shaun Murphy, Mark Selby, Mark Williams and Stephen Maguire – but also a great deal of more unfamiliar names.

Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins and Ding Junhui are among those not eligible to play and world champion Neil Robertson will need a strong performance in Prague to make the line-up.

There are no home players currently in the top 24 – Ken Doherty is 40th – and the tournament is being staged in the week of the St. Patrick’s celebrations, which are obviously a big deal in Dublin.

But for the many snooker fans who live in Ireland, this can only be good news.

TV and ticket details will be announced in due course.

Re: Grand Final in Ireland

Postby Casey

:ahh: :ahh:

Although I expect ticket sales for St Patricks day to be poor, the rest should be fine. it must be a one table set-up.

Postby Wildey

Ken Doherty will have to reach the Final in Prague to get there.

and Neil Robertson likewise.

Postby Tubberlad

Cheltenham is on that week! If you ever wanted a snooker tournament to fail in this country, you fire it on during the biggest week for a sport we're absolutely nuts about...

Not to mention Paddy's day, and the day after Paddys. That said, I'd love to head up, and am delighted to see snooker back in our country.

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote::| :chin: :| :chin:

Not sure about taking snooker abroad.......................and Ireland is in a crisis, perhaps BH will rethink this one. :|

:emu:

Send donations to me and I will pass them on ;)

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:
StalinESQ wrote::| :chin: :| :chin:

Not sure about taking snooker abroad.......................and Ireland is in a crisis, perhaps BH will rethink this one. :|

:emu:

Send donations to me and I will pass them on ;)

okay will do :redneck:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I've seen some bad crowds at Snooker tournaments in the past but even they managed to get people in for the weekend. There will only be four days of this event so if they get decent numbers in for the weekend then it should be fine. That's if anybody has any money by March.

Postby randam05

i think its good its being held there for two reasons..

They have no tournament any more
and..a PTC or EPTC was not held there.

Postby Smart

randam05 wrote:i think its good its being held there for two reasons..

I'm just not sure ................snooker is best kept in England or perhaps a bit in China :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
randam05 wrote:i think its good its being held there for two reasons..

I'm just not sure ................snooker is best kept in England or perhaps a bit in China :wave:

I don't know. The tournaments in Glasgow have received monster crowds. <laugh>