Topic locked

Premier League 2010: Week 10 (Llandudno)

Postby Bourne

The 2010 Premier League reaches its final week of the group-stage with the tournament still wide open. Marco Fu had long already booked his spot in the last-four finals weekend, Ronnie O'Sullivan joined him last week with Ding Junhui the first player to exit the tournament. So there are two spots still to be filled and currently in the driving seat is Shaun Murphy, the defending champion, and can seal another spot in the last-four if he beats Neil Robertson who currently props up the table on 3 points. First, Masters champion Mark Selby has to win at least 2 frames against O'Sullivan to keep himself in the hunt and overtake Mark Williams into 4th spot.

Live coverage will be on SkySports2

Thursday 18 November
1930 GMT: Ronnie O'Sullivan 5-1 Mark Selby
Followed by: Shaun Murphy 2-4 Neil Robertson

Table
1 Ronnie O'Sullivan 9pts/Played 6/Frames Won - 23
2 Marco Fu 8pts/P 6/FW - 20
3 Shaun Murphy 6pts/P 6/FW - 19
4 Neil Robertson 5pts/P 6/FW - 18
------------------------
5 Mark Williams 5pts/P 6/FW - 17
6 Mark Selby 5pts/P 6/FW - 17
7 Ding Junhui 4pts/P 6/FW - 12

Links:
Premier League - http://tinyurl.com/36w2p8q
Fixtures - http://tinyurl.com/398e5kp
Skysports - http://tinyurl.com/39oht4g

Predictions - viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1285

Re: Premier League 2010: Week 10 (Llandudno)

Postby Bourne

I've probably not only made that seem more complicated than it is but also got something wrong, but who cares, it'll all become clear on the night !

Postby SnookerFan

No, that makes sense actually. Looking at the points, without reading your spiel, I came to the conclusion Ronnie and Fu were already through, with Selby and Murphy needing wins. But you're right. If Selby loses 4-2, he overtakes Mark on frames difference. Pity Neil Robertson has no chance of stuffing Murphy, because I'd like to see both Williams and Selby in the semis. :wave:

Postby Monique

Murphy is through also: with six points only Selby can go past him if he wins. That would leave him 4th.

other than that

For Williams to be in the semis he must hope that Ronnie beats Selby by a score of 5-1 or 6-0 (a defeat with score of 4-2 would put him in front of Williams because of the # frames won rule) AND he must hope that Robertson does not beat Murphy as this would automatically mean Robbo gets in front on account of # frames won.

For Robertson to be in semis he has to win. In addition if he gets a score of 4-2 he must hope that Selby does not win more than one frame against Ronnie. If he beats Murphy 5-1 or 6-0 he's through.

For Selby to be through it's enough that he draws against Ronnie. If he loses by 4-2 he has to hope for Robertson to lose or draw. If he loses by 5-1 or 6-0 then he's out: Williams is in front of him (# frames won and Williams won their encounter)

Postby Wildey

it should be a quick sessions tonight .

3 of the 4 players are the best shot clock players ive seen.....Neil Robertson is the odd one out.

Postby Roland

If Robbo beats Murphy 6-0 or 5-1 he's through you say. Thankfully that won't happen (touch wood) but if Robbo won 6-0 what would that mean for what Selby needs to do? I'm sure Ronnie will be trying his socks off tonight. Who is on first? Is it Selby v Ronnie?

Postby Monique

GJtheaussiestud wrote:poo clock snooker = :zzz:

GJ stop being blind ... Robbo would absolutely love to get through.
See what he had to say last week : http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/sport/WA ... ticle.html before the event.

I was there in Grimsby. He was very confident before the match, while Ronnie was rather anxious. And he was very disappointed after the match. I'm sure he will try hard tonight and i wish him good luck.

BTW here are the oics from Grimsby: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8 ... 7ad48edaec

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:

See what he had to say last week : http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/sport/WA ... ticle.html before the event.

I was there in Grimsby. He was very confident before the match, while Ronnie was rather anxious. And he was very disappointed after the match. I'm sure he will try hard tonight and i wish him good luck.

BTW here are the oics from Grimsby: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8 ... 7ad48edaec

its called being diplomatic and as world champion he has to seem to be fair to all formats which explains why he is was so positive about the power snooker GIMICK

:)

Postby Monique

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
Monique wrote:

its called being diplomatic and as world champion he has to seem to be fair to all formats which explains why he is was so positive about the power snooker GIMICK

No, it isn't. Have you EVER chatted with Neil about this? because I have ... and he's a lot more "open" to innovations and so called "gimmicks" (within reason) and changes than some of his deluded fans would imagine.

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:Then your hero is a retard... ;)

as i said he is being diplomatic as world champion

its called towing the party line ;)

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Who is on first? Is it Selby v Ronnie?

thats a interesting question ?

the ideal scenario for excitement would be if Robbo Beats Murphy 6-0 so the second match will really have something on it but if that doesn't happen then theres nothing much on the Robbo v Selby aslong as Selby wins Frames.

so i would put Ronnie v Selby first then if Ronnie Blits Selby Robbo can go hell for Leather to get a convincing Win.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:It's Ronnie vs Selby first

i think that will be the quickest finish to a PL Match this season or possibly ever.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:If Robbo beats Murphy 6-0 or 5-1 he's through you say. Thankfully that won't happen (touch wood) but if Robbo won 6-0 what would that mean for what Selby needs to do? I'm sure Ronnie will be trying his socks off tonight. Who is on first? Is it Selby v Ronnie?

Sorry I wasn't precise enough. I should have written "he's through provided Selby loses, whatever the score".
So If Selby wins or draws he's in the semis. But if he loses then he's in trouble because frame difference is not in his favour right now. He then needs to take at least 2 frames to be in front of Williams and then hope Robbo doesn't win by 5-1 or 6-0.

Postby Monique

As for what Ronnie will do, well that's unpredictable.
He might try his socks off, but he might as well play exhibition style and go showboating. He knows he is through. So it will depend on his mood on the day.

Postby Roland

Selby has played the snooker out of everyone so it's a miracle if he doesn't qualify. I hope he can 6-0 Ronnie tonight obviously but his qualification is in the balance.

How did he lose that frame to Murphy last week? If he'd not lost it then he would be through already.

Postby Wildey

i dont think theres any doubt Ronnie will want to boss selby tonight .....he might not try sometimes when theres nothing to gain but Selby is one player he wants to put in his place and Selby always up for playing Ronnie.

Should be a corker <ok>

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Selby has played the snooker out of everyone so it's a miracle if he doesn't qualify. I hope he can 6-0 Ronnie tonight obviously but his qualification is in the balance.

How did he lose that frame to Murphy last week? If he'd not lost it then he would be through already.

Well, not exactly in the PL this season: he has lost to Williams and Ding (!!) and drawn with Murphy. And Ronnie has beaten him twice in two encounters (in PTC) this season. He's also not set snooker alight in the World Open... Mark has not been exactly consistent.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Sonny wrote:Selby has played the snooker out of everyone so it's a miracle if he doesn't qualify. I hope he can 6-0 Ronnie tonight obviously but his qualification is in the balance.

Well, not exactly in the PL this season: he has lost to Williams and Ding (!!) and drawn with Murphy. And Ronnie has beaten him twice in two encounters (in PTC) this season. He's also not set snooker alight in the World Open... Mark has not been exactly consistent.

i agree

at the moment with mark its more Style over substance.

he plays well he looks good and he comes away empty handed.. :?

Postby Roland

Yeah that seems to happen a lot. He played great in the World Open but Hawkins played the best snooker of his life to beat him. He lead Williams 2-0 before Williams kicked into overdrive. He should've beaten Murphy because he was by far the better player. The only poor performance listed above was against Ding.

Postby Casey

Well he has won a PTC event, he got to the SF’s of the Shanghai masters and Barry Hawkins played great to beat him in the World Open.
I would say he has had a good season so far, better than most in fact. Obviously the UK is a big indicator and can make or break a season up to the World Championship.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Well he has won a PTC event, he got to the SF’s of the Shanghai masters and Barry Hawkins played great to beat him in the World Open.
I would say he has had a good season so far, better than most in fact. Obviously the UK is a big indicator and can make or break a season up to the World Championship.

i just think Mark Selby is a Great Great Player that Just gives to much Amo for people to Knock him at the moment.

World semi for example ok Dott played well but there was to many instances where he could not convert Frame Winners.

Postby Roland

I just remember that match for the big efforts Selby put in to get on level terms but he just couldn't get his nose in front. Dott was incredibly resilient throughout. Mind you, I can't believe Selby got past Ronnie the round before so the semi was a bonus looking back. It's still a blur, I know Stalin got the hump big time and disappeared but what was the story of the Ronnie v Selby Crucible match? It's really weird that I can't remember it... in fact the only thing I can remember about it was Ronnie getting frustrated, and Selby doing a fist pump behind his back. I can't remember the frame scores or any shots or anything.

Postby Wildey

he beat Ronnie he totally outplayed Hendry (i thought Hendry looked capable in that match but had little to go at) but his level just dipped slightly in the semi and Dott did not need a second invitation.