Post a reply

Do you want another long format tournament to maybe balance out reductions in other Events ??

YES
80%
NO
20%

Total votes : 15

Long Format Tournament !!!

Postby Wildey

Do you think there should be another Long Format Tournament on a par with the UK Championship that could be played in another Country to Balance out Reductions in other Tournaments ?

Re: Long Format Tournament !!!

Postby Alex0paul

Yes. I think there could be a similar tournament to the UK in China to really test the water as to whether or not they are serious about the Worlds to be staged there

Postby Wildey

i just think at the moment we are in a cocoon of shortening everything but is that really what is needed to take snooker forward im not sure at all of that.

yes there needs to be different formats and new ideas but taking proper snooker in to other countries is a new idea. make other countries feel a part of the snooker bigger picture.

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:i just think at the moment we are in a cocoon of shortening everything but is that really what is needed to take snooker forward im not sure at all of that.

yes there needs to be different formats and new ideas but taking proper snooker in to other countries is a new idea. make other countries feel a part of the snooker bigger picture.

i agree the China Open should be expanded, ive always thought that since its the "Major" of the Far East, it should have a more prestigious feel about it. Id also be expecting Hearn to try and secure some far more lucrative sponsorship deals there, given the high levels of interest in the sport.

Europe isnt as established as the Far East in terms of snooker exposure at a top level, hence i feel they have to be broke in gently, be it with best of 7 PTCS, etc to grab potential fans interest first then we can expand things.

I mean in the UK, the hotbed of the game we are introducing shorter and new formats to attract new fans where the game is already well known, so in other countries where the sport is less well known to your average man in the street, an instant longer format is more likely to scare them off.

Postby GJ

no it would only devalue the 2 big ones which are well ahead of all other ranking events

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:no it would only devalue the 2 big ones which are well ahead of all other ranking events

whats wrong in adding to the UK Championship ?

UK Has history going back before you was born the day they reduced the final was the day they devalued that event.

Postby Smart

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:Do you think there should be another Long Format Tournament on a par with the UK Championship that could be played in another Country to Balance out Reductions in other Tournaments ?

Getting snake hissed with all the emphasis on shortening and I guess that was the motivation for this article. I would love the UK to get some of its old glory back with a return to best of 31 frame final.

But I think even more important a development would be a longer format in China, with either the Shanghai Masters or China Open changing to the best of 17 format seen at the UK Champs. :idea: :wave: :idea: :wave:

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:Getting snake hissed with all the emphasis on shortening and I guess that was the motivation for this article.

Spot on mate

but not neceseraly shorting the welsh but the fact its seems like thats the way forward for the Sport shortening everything.

How About lengthing others thats a change thats just as different as shortening.

i think theres a real danger here that the sport is going to head in the wrong direction

it seems we got to now apeal to people who hate snooker so it gets shorter and shorter until theres nothing left of it.

id like them to make coronation street appeal to me .......Lets Cancel it <ok>

Postby Smart

well I'm concerned and getting snake hissed cos you have legends of the game spouting non-sense about tampering with the holy grail of the world championship. Seriously when or if that happens then snooker will lose a lot of its charm and appeal. Yes, worrying times and with this in mind everything seems to be like a burger meal rather than a nice 3 course meal with coffee or a brandy for afters................... some things are better not rushed and snooker is one of those things in my opinion. :idea: :wave: :idea: :wave:

Postby Wildey

i think Barry Hearn has done a lot of Good Things More Tournaments on the way but we got to say Calm down mate how is shortening Tournaments Going to get more people to watch. ???

Seriously would Make a Football match 35 mins each end and scraping the off side Rule encourage non football fans to watch Football ??? ofcourse not but that what they trying to do with Snooker.... You either like men with sticks potting balls or you dont.

What made a 16 year old like Randam Get interested in snooker in the Naughties was it gimmicks or the charm of the game What about Jade shes even Younger...New Fans gets turned on to the sport like every fan of every other sport you do not need to Get Gimmicks or shortening matches to do that.

Postby Wildey

I Know of a Girl that started watching snooker in 2006 and her Favorite player is Anthony Hamilton.

im not being funny but what the hell has Anthony done Since 2006 but People gets turned on to the sport for all sort of different Reasons and Something about Anthony made her a Snooker Fan.

Postby Smart

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:I Know of a Girl that started watching snooker in 2006 and her Favorite player is Anthony Hamilton.

im not being funny but what the hell has Anthony done Since 2006 but People gets turned on to the sport for all sort of different Reasons and Something about Anthony made her a Snooker Fan.

I know its crazy, we all love the game and enjoy it and were drawn to it for for different reasons but with the same enjoyment. Some folks even enjoy watching Hendo play nowadays. I do. :idea: <laugh> :idea: <laugh>

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote: Some folks even enjoy watching Hendo play nowadays. I do. :idea: <laugh> :idea: <laugh>

well i hate it....

i have more enjoyment when he is out <ok>

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:This is my favourite thread EVER.

ok let the man answer the question.

you was not around during the "GOLDEN" Age of the 80s and i bet barely remember the 90s so what made you become a snooker fan during the so call slump of the naughties ?

Postby Tubberlad

I would love to see a best of 31 UK Final more than anything in the sport, the Worlds to stay exactly as it is, The Masters to have best-of 17 semi-finals & the China Open to take up the current UK format.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:I would love to see a best of 31 UK Final more than anything in the sport, the Worlds to stay exactly as it is, The Masters to have best-of 17 semi-finals & the China Open to take up the current UK format.

then you get the Core of the Sport stable that it would allow more scope to experiment with other tournaments until you get the correct formula and format in place for them.

Postby Tubberlad

Sets & win my two are ideas I've been advocating for quite a while... would love to see them brought in

Postby Tubberlad

StalinESQ wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:Sets & win my two are ideas I've been advocating for quite a while... would love to see them brought in

Sets :chin: :sad: :chin: :sad:

Only on a once a year basis of course ;)

Postby Wildey

yup nothing wrong in being imaginative

best of 3 sets with best of 3 frames in a set =9 frames

2-0
1-2
1-2

you lose even if score 4-4 in frames

then increase it for semis and finals.

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:yup nothing wrong in being imaginative

2-0
1-2
1-2

i like that format Wild <ok>

send it to Hearn <ok>

then again when he sees the letter from you hell prob just bin in before he reads it properly cos hell expect it to be intercoursing this and intercoursing that rofl

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Next season there'll be SEVEN big tournaments in Asia including four ranking, there's enough space for one longer format event. It would be a couple of years before it happens though,

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:yup nothing wrong in being imaginative

2-0
1-2
1-2

i like that format Wild <ok>

send it to Hearn <ok>

then again when he sees the letter from you hell prob just bin in before he reads it properly cos hell expect it to be intercoursing this and intercoursing that rofl

tubberlads copywrited its his baby i just like the idea to mix some tournaments up i think someone should put the idea forward as you say best not me <laugh>

Postby randam05

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:

you was not around during the "GOLDEN" Age of the 80s and i bet barely remember the 90s so what made you become a snooker fan during the so call slump of the naughties ?

Umm, im notsure wild, I just loved snooker, started watching in 2006 and started watching the 2006 world champs final between ebdon and dott..so explain that? <laugh>

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:

Umm, im notsure wild, I just loved snooker, started watching in 2006 and started watching the 2006 world champs final between ebdon and dott..so explain that? <laugh>

I REST MY CASE

Dott vs Ebdon 2006 final turned a 12 year old boy as he was then in to a snooker fan.

Postby randam05

Haha exactly what I thought...

No need for shorter formats..doesnt make it any more fun or exciting.

Postby randam05

Plus dont forget jadechelsea started watching in 2007 and 2008, the WC and the masters final between ronnie n selby following year turned her into a snooker lover..