Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:My next guess is Drew Henry, for hopefully obvious reasons.

Not Drew Henry. Have a closer look at the second word.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:Tough one. I’m ending up at players like Milkins or Hawkins, but I’m not really joining the dots.

I didn’t think this one is all that tough, but it’s not Robert Milkins or Barry Hawkins.

Postby Iranu

Mark Johnston-Allen?

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:Mark Johnston-Allen?

I like it. Surely this is right.

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Mark Johnston-Allen?

Yes! :happy: :happy:

Magnum > Pistol > Mark Allen
Royle > The Royle Family > Barbara Royle > Sue Johnston

= Mark Johnston-Allen

Well done, Iranu! All yours. <ok>

Postby Iranu

Ward Bow

Postby AlfGit

Robin Hull?

Burt Ward played Robin in the old Batman TV show, and the bow of a boat is part of its hull.

Postby Iranu

AlfGit wrote:Robin Hull?

Burt Ward played Robin in the old Batman TV show, and the bow of a boat is part of its hull.

Correct! Robin of course was also Batman’s ward.

:D

Postby AlfGit

Woohoo! :-D

Here is the next one:

Eleventh Time

Postby Prop

Hmmm. I’ve got a couple of ideas for ‘eleventh’. But ‘time’ is about as open-ended as it gets.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:Hmmm. I’ve got a couple of ideas for ‘eleventh’. But ‘time’ is about as open-ended as it gets.

'Eleventh' is really the key. If you solve that, 'time' should be easy.

Postby Prop

Yep, and I’ve got two distinct paths it’s taking me down. Thing is, I’m hesitant to guess just in case it’d be revealing my logic <laugh>

Postby Prop

Hold on. It’s not Geoff Foulds, is it….

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:Hold on. It’s not Geoff Foulds, is it….

It is not Geoff Foulds.

I think you should be confident when you have the correct answer.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:Hold on. It’s not Geoff Foulds, is it….

It is not Geoff Foulds.

I think you should be confident when you have the correct answer.

Arrggh. I thought I was onto it!

Postby Prop

A small clue might be needed.

Postby Prop

Not Rob Milkins, either, I guess.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:Not Rob Milkins, either, I guess.

No, it is not Robert Milkins.

The two words should lead you to one name, which is unique amongst professional snooker players.

Postby Prop

Yeah I’m pretty sure I’ll know where to go when I know which path to take with ‘eleventh’. I’ve got plenty of ideas for that. I’m just struggling to work out which path is correct :chin:

I love these evil ones. It better not be something obvious that I’ve completely missed <laugh>

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:I love these evil ones. It better not be something obvious that I’ve completely missed <laugh>

That, I cannot promise. <laugh>

Postby AlfGit

Perhaps the ordinality is throwing you off.

'Eleven Time' works equally as well.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:I love these evil ones. It better not be something obvious that I’ve completely missed <laugh>

<laugh>

Right, first time I’ve done this, but I’m going to post my complete mental workings and see if anything sticks.

Eleventh took me down a few tracks.

Eleventh wedding anniversary; steel.

Steel; steel city (Sheffield). No real notable players that are from Sheffield rather than those that now play in Sheffield.

Steel City, Sheffield, Sheffield United, The Blades. Sam Baird’s nickname is The Blade. Still, no explanation for ‘time’.

Steel > Steal. Rob (Milkins), Nick (Price?). Again, no link to ‘time’.

‘Steal Time’ brought me to Geoff Foulds, because of his expenses scandal. Those sort of things often involve claiming pay for time that wasn’t actually spent, hence stealing time.

Also a curio, was that Jeffrey (Geoff) Archer wrote a book called Eleventh Commandment, which I thought might link to Foulds.

Then I looked at steel again. Being a compound rather than element it wasn’t exactly straightforward in finding an anachronistic representation of steel. Carbon, iron, potassium… it came to nonsense. In its most abundant constitution there’s F (iron) and C (carbon). That brought me back round to Sheffield United (‘FC’), but I feared at that point I was falling down a rabbit hole of my own making!

Eleventh also brought me to the 11th sign of the zodiac, Aquarius. The ‘water carrier’ symbolic here. I couldn’t really think of any kind of jug, tank, vessel etc that could have made sense.

Also, Armistice Day. 11th of the 11th. I thought of Ryan Day, but it didn’t seem to give me any kind of eureka.

There’s probably more I thought of but instantly discarded.

Ultimately I’m still bloody stumped rofl

Postby Prop

Oh Christ it’s not Pankaj Advani is it?

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:
AlfGit wrote:

<laugh>

Right, first time I’ve done this, but I’m going to post my complete mental workings and see if anything sticks.

Eleventh took me down a few tracks.

Eleventh wedding anniversary; steel.

Steel; steel city (Sheffield). No real notable players that are from Sheffield rather than those that now play in Sheffield.

Steel City, Sheffield, Sheffield United, The Blades. Sam Baird’s nickname is The Blade. Still, no explanation for ‘time’.

Steel > Steal. Rob (Milkins), Nick (Price?). Again, no link to ‘time’.

‘Steal Time’ brought me to Geoff Foulds, because of his expenses scandal. Those sort of things often involve claiming pay for time that wasn’t actually spent, hence stealing time.

Also a curio, was that Jeffrey (Geoff) Archer wrote a book called Eleventh Commandment, which I thought might link to Foulds.

Then I looked at steel again. Being a compound rather than element it wasn’t exactly straightforward in finding an anachronistic representation of steel. Carbon, iron, potassium… it came to nonsense. In its most abundant constitution there’s F (iron) and C (carbon). That brought me back round to Sheffield United (‘FC’), but I feared at that point I was falling down a rabbit hole of my own making!

Eleventh also brought me to the 11th sign of the zodiac, Aquarius. The ‘water carrier’ symbolic here. I couldn’t really think of any kind of jug, tank, vessel etc that could have made sense.

Also, Armistice Day. 11th of the 11th. I thought of Ryan Day, but it didn’t seem to give me any kind of eureka.

There’s probably more I thought of but instantly discarded.

Ultimately I’m still bloody stumped rofl

Sorry mate, but the closest you got was the word 'Eureka'. rofl

Postby Prop

Eleventh hour > 11pm
Time > 24hr > 23:00 > 23
23 billiard WCs

Postby Prop

Prop wrote:Oh Christ it’s not Pankaj Advani is it?

:shrug:

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:Oh Christ it’s not Pankaj Advani is it?

No, it isn't him either, but good thinking.

I feel bad that you have put so much effort into it, when it is really not that dastardly at all.

Postby AlfGit

If you could not see my name, you might think this is one of Chengdufan's puzzles.

Postby Prop

It might have to be Chengdufan that sorts this out, to be honest!

Postby Iranu

This one’s really tough. Got a couple of ideas for Eleventh but it’s not leading me anywhere useful.