Post a reply

The Hendry Comeback

Postby shanew48

has been a bit pathetic all in all? he got well beaten by that little Chinese guy, I understand the sycophantic WST crew that surround him try to make as many excuses as possible on his behalf but the whole thing was just a bit pathetic in that he was getting praised for making a century within matches that he was otherwise well beaten.

i think even if he practiced eight hours a day he would still struggle to win a string of matches in a row, he doesn't really seem like he is prepared to do that so it is all a bit pointless in a way I think. I guess it was all good publicity for the sport, maybe that's all it was meant to be in a way.

Re: The Hendry Comeback

Postby Iranu

“That little Chinese guy” has a name.

Postby 1892

Yeah I am not expecting much of an improvement next season.

Would have benefitted him hugely if he had entered the CL and Pro Series etc to get matches under his belt. Was never going to go well when all he had done prior to the WC qualifiers was play one match in Gibraltar.

Postby chengdufan

shanew48 wrote:that little Chinese guy

Out of curiosity, how would you have described his opponent had he lost in the first round?

Postby shanew48

chengdufan wrote:

Out of curiosity, how would you have described his opponent had he lost in the first round?

As a guy who had been "flying in practice"

Postby Juddernaut88

chengdufan wrote:

I would have described Hendrys first round opponent as the people's chump with an annoying voice

Postby SnookerFan

You can't expect him to be as great as he was in the 1990s. Even if it was possible at his age, he hadn't played for nine years. He would struggle in on first coming back.

Hendry's mistake was not being active enough To have any chance of having a good run at The Crucible he needed to have played more, just for the practice. He'd had one match against Selt pre-Crucible. Why not play more?

Postby lhpirnie

shanew48 wrote:...
i think even if he practiced eight hours a day he would still struggle to win a string of matches in a row, he doesn't really seem like he is prepared to do that so it is all a bit pointless in a way I think. I guess it was all good publicity for the sport, maybe that's all it was meant to be in a way.

Stephen Hendry is known to be looking for revenue streams. Recently he's been advertising 'personalsied Christmas cards' and such like. The comeback does lift his profile enough to secure some sponsorship deal or other, perhaps a book coming out.

But I'm not surprised that so many people were duped by it all. Snooker fans are notorious for nostalgia and 1980's/1990's fixation. Fortunately I was working when he played White.

Postby lhpirnie

Iranu wrote:“That little Chinese guy” has a name.

Yes, and Xu Si had a very eventful 12 months. He had a nightmare travelling to China after the outbreak, as documented on his social media. He needed a good season to stay on tour, so he moved to Ding's new academy, and started working with Steve Feeney using SightRight methods. Xu is known as one of the hardest working players on tour, much more so than Yan Bingtao, say. He then needed to beat the 7-times World Champion to stay on tour, in a high-profile match, and played pretty well. It would have been very interesting to hear his opinions about it all, but of course nobody bothered to interview him.

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:

Yes, and Xu Si had a very eventful 12 months. He had a nightmare travelling to China after the outbreak, as documented on his social media. He needed a good season to stay on tour, so he moved to Ding's new academy, and started working with Steve Feeney using SightRight methods. Xu is known as one of the hardest working players on tour, much more so than Yan Bingtao, say. He then needed to beat the 7-times World Champion to stay on tour, in a high-profile match, and played pretty well. It would have been very interesting to hear his opinions about it all, but of course nobody bothered to interview him.

Why didn't you interview him and post it on here?
You still could. The island would certainly be interested.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Why didn't you interview him and post it on here?
You still could. The island would certainly be interested.

Funnily enough, the last time I spoke to him was after his previous World Championship win, in 2019 (he missed the 2020 WC). He beat Sean O'Sullivan 10-2, with breaks of 75, 78, 99, 77, 116, 92, 56, 80, 76 and 86. He's normally pretty shy and doesn't tend to hang around the playing arena. It would probably take someone in the players' room to corner him for an interview.

Postby Iranu

Do we know it’s not Xu Si’s choice not to be interviewed? If he’s that shy maybe he’s quite happy not to have to do interviews.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Do we know it’s not Xu Si’s choice not to be interviewed? If he’s that shy maybe he’s quite happy not to have to do interviews.

Are they offered the choice to refuse?

Isn't being interviewed after the match written into their contract?

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:Do we know it’s not Xu Si’s choice not to be interviewed? If he’s that shy maybe he’s quite happy not to have to do interviews.

Well, during the one of the Home Nations Goldstein said some of the players weren’t confident enough in their English to be interviewed by Eurosport at least, so if WST make the same allowances I wouldn’t be surprised if some players played on that a bit.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t something contractual though, otherwise surely players wouldn’t do them? I can’t see Ronnie doing BBC post-match interviews unless he had to, for example.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:

Probably not for the WC qualifiers. But Hendry was interviewed several times, despite losing the match by 6 frames to 1. Many players, including Xu, depend on sponsorship to survive on tour. The chance to be interviewed is a great opportunity. Many of the interview last season were carried out on Zoom, which makes it straightforward to have an interpreter if needed.

Postby Dragonfly

I wasn't expecting much from Hendry's comeback. Even if he was practicing 12 hours a day I don't see how his standards can get up to world championships qualification.

He needs to be playing against decent opposition all the time. Get his match sharpness and confidence up. He match against White was a debacle to be fair. He made a decent century against Selt which showed he can still pot balls but there's much more to it than that.

I hope I'm wrong, but can't see him doing much next season either.

Postby badtemperedcyril

lhpirnie wrote:

After reading that I’m glad he beat Hendry.

Postby badtemperedcyril

lhpirnie wrote:

After reading that I’m glad he beat Hendry.

Postby HappyCamper

Xu is a bit like 'shoe', but the sh sound is softer. Made with the tip of the tongue lowered in the mouth. It's not really a sound in English.

Si is like 'sea' .

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:Xu is a bit like 'shoe', but the sh sound is softer. Made with the tip of the tongue lowered in the mouth. It's not really a sound in English.

Si is like 'sea' .

Would Xu be similar to how British people expect “Zhou” to be pronounced?

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:Xu is a bit like 'shoe', but the sh sound is softer. Made with the tip of the tongue lowered in the mouth. It's not really a sound in English.

Si is like 'sea' .

No, it's actually 思, which is more like 'ser', but it varies with the dialect. Actually Xu Si is from Jieyang and is a Cantonese speaker.

Postby chengdufan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:How do you pronounce Xu Si?

I've covered this before.

Shoes, as in what you wear on your feet.

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:Zoo See, I would presume.

:lol:

Neither of these pronunciations exist in Chinese.
Zoo is actually one of the most difficult words for English language learners here to pronounce. It's very rare to meet a Chinese person who can say 'zoo' intelligibly. Even relatively high level speakers.
'see' is an easier word for Chinese speakers as both the 's' and 'ee' sounds exist in Chinese. Never in combination though.

Postby chengdufan

This is correct

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:Si is like 'sea' .

:shock:
Wouldn't have expected you to make such a basic error HC

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:

Si is like 'sea' .

Would Xu be similar to how British people expect “Zhou” to be pronounced?

No