Post a reply

Gods of Snooker

Postby mick745

Has anyone been watching the Gods of Snooker series? Really good so far lots of footage i have never seen before too.

Clive Everton though looking like he's not in very good health.

Re: Gods of Snooker

Postby SnookerEd25

Yes, Clive’s appearance was rather a shame. He is 84 in September, and spent a lengthy period in hospital last year after a fall at his home. :sad:

Postby Juddernaut88

I've watched it and it is pretty good. It is a shame about Clive though :(

Postby Running side

seen them all on iplayer,highlight for me nugget dropping F bombs.

Postby James Bentley

I've seen them all now too and really enjoyed them. Lots of unexpected moments. I really like Jim Meadowcroft's snooker table that rose up from beneath the floor, like something a snooker-related Bond villain might have in his remote undersea lair.

The BBC (and ITV) must have tons more of this sort of footage.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Missed the first episode but saw the second. The third this Sunday looks like it will cover the good stuff i.e. Cocaine.

After the second episode last Sunday there was a repeat of the 2010 Documentary about the 1985 Final on it's 25th Anniversary and it was weird seeing them looking back on the 80's when the programme itself is now over a decade old.

Postby badtemperedcyril

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Missed the first episode but saw the second. The third this Sunday looks like it will cover the good stuff i.e. Cocaine.

After the second episode last Sunday there was a repeat of the 2010 Documentary about the 1985 Final on it's 25th Anniversary and it was weird seeing them looking back on the 80's when the programme itself is now over a decade old.

I’d recommend watching Episode 1. They’re all excellent but No.1 was my favourite. Mostly about Alex Higgins and the emergence of Steve Davis. Great contributions from Ray Reardon too.

Postby Dan-cat

The Guardian loves it! https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... of-snooker

Haven't been able to watch yet, but I'm very keen too.

The best documentaries make you care about something you’ve never thought about for one second in your life, and it is fair to say Gods of Snooker succeeds on that front, too. You cannot fail to be captivated by archive footage of Jimmy White spinning a ball around a table before, suddenly, decades later, the same man is in a hotel room telling you exactly how much of his winnings he spent on crack. It is impossible not to watch all three hours without thinking: “I should start a WhatsApp group and see who fancies a trip to the Crucible next year.” And, frankly, I will see you there. I’ll be the guy in the vintage Steve Davis T-shirt I paid way too much for on eBay.

Postby orky

The stuff about Jimmy White openly admitting he used crack cocaine etc is quite disturbing to be honest not to mention the all night and day partying and boozing. When people say Jimmy was unlucky never to win the world championship I beg to differ, you get out from the game the didication you put in. Little wonder Davis won 6 world titles and Hendry dominated up to the mid nineties. White could easily have took one or two world titles each off them.

Postby LDS

Watched all three.

They were OK.

There are some very brief clips of stuff I haven't seen before, but a lot of it is not new to me. I was left more teased by all the content they must own but never show than really excited by what they did.

The series is good at highlighting 3 or 4 particular players, like mini-bios of each, but doesn't really expand into the wider player base much.

Likewise, the interviews are good, but it seems a bit anti-climactic to get so many people in for an interview & then only use two or three sentences from them regarding one specific topic.

Good for an intro series but not amazeballs.

7/10

Postby orky

Some of it I've already seen numerous times over the years, other footage is new and refreshing like Ian Doyle telling a young Stephen Hendry off like a naughty schoolboy and Hendry finding it difficult to give him eye contact lol. I think all in all they got it right in terms of they put the four main players in who are/ were the real game changers. I'm not talking about standards because Steve Davis once said if you transport his 1981 world championship winning form to today's game he would barely make the top 16 and I fully agree. What I am talking about is without Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Jimmy White and Stephen Hendry the game would be nowhere near what it is today. Higgins popularised snooker and gave it the massive exposure it needed, Davis turned it ultra professional, White inspired just about everyone to play the game and Hendry raised the standard. I think this program captures the input of these four players very nicely. Dennis Taylor gets a lot of coverage but that's purely because of the black ball finish.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

orky wrote:The stuff about Jimmy White openly admitting he used crack cocaine etc is quite disturbing to be honest not to mention the all night and day partying and boozing. When people say Jimmy was unlucky never to win the world championship I beg to differ, you get out from the game the didication you put in. Little wonder Davis won 6 world titles and Hendry dominated up to the mid nineties. White could easily have took one or two world titles each off them.

Didication's what you need. :trombone:

Postby Juddernaut88

Last episode was very disappointing. It just focused mainly on Jimmy White. I expected them to show more of Hendrys world titles. I don't know why generally snooker documentaries are reluctant to spend an hour or so focusing on the Stephen Hendry era!

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Last episode was very disappointing. It just focused mainly on Jimmy White. I expected them to show more of Hendrys world titles. I don't know why generally snooker documentaries are reluctant to spend an hour or so focusing on the Stephen Hendry era!

What? And discuss something other than the 1980s? :shock:

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Last episode was very disappointing. It just focused mainly on Jimmy White. I expected them to show more of Hendrys world titles. I don't know why generally snooker documentaries are reluctant to spend an hour or so focusing on the Stephen Hendry era!

What? And discuss something other than the 1980s? :shock:

Yes they always said Gods of Snooker was 1980s focused mainly, and the 3 gods of Snooker from the 80s were without doubt Alex Higgins, Steve Davis and Jimmy White.

Postby Prop

They should do a 1990s series as well. Hendry, class of 92, and so on. Would watache.

Postby Juddernaut88

Prop wrote:They should do a 1990s series as well. Hendry, class of 92, and so on. Would watache.

:goodpost:

Postby Andre147

Prop wrote:They should do a 1990s series as well. Hendry, class of 92, and so on. Would watache.

Maybe another 3 episodes?

One solely dedicated to Hendry, another to the Class of 92, and a 3rd one to the other top players, like Trump, Robbo, Selby.

Postby Prop

Andre147 wrote:

One solely dedicated to Hendry, another to the Class of 92, and a 3rd one to the other top players, like Trump, Robbo, Selby.

Sounds good to me <ok>

Postby Juddernaut88

Ultimately all we ever see are documentaries about 80s, 1985 final, Steve Davis and Alex Higgins, this has been going on for the last 20 years.
We certainly need to see some focus on the 90s, class of 92 etc.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:

They could bridge the decades by having an episode about Jimmy in the 90s alongside Hendry. Their rivalry could fill all three episodes let alone one!

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:What happened in 1985 again?

I forget.

Stephen Hendry turned professional.