Post a reply

british open returns in august.

Postby csprince

Tuesday 18 May 2021 10:01AM
The British Open will return to the World Snooker Tour for the first time in 17 years when it takes place in August.

Click here for the updated calendar

It will be the second world ranking event of the 2021/22 season and will run from August 16 to 22. All 128 tour players will compete in the event, with further details including the host venue and broadcasters to be announced in due course.

John Higgins beat Stephen Maguire in the 2004 British Open final in Brighton

The British Open was ever present on the calendar from 1985 to 2004. Brighton was the host city in 2004 when John Higgins beat Stephen Maguire in the final.

As it stands there are 19 events scheduled on the calendar for the 2021/22 season, with discussions ongoing for several other potential tournaments.

WST Chairman Steve Dawson said: “We continue to work towards building a full calendar for the 2021/22 season and the schedule is gradually taking shape.

“We are delighted to bring back the British Open which has a fantastic history and has been won by many of the greats including Steve Davis, Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O’Sullivan, Mark Williams, Paul Hunter and John Higgins.

“Planning for the tournament is now in progress with the intention to restore its position as a prestigious event on the calendar.”

Re: british open returns in august.

Postby Juddernaut88

This is brilliant news, I used to love this tournament. It's funny as sometimes on the missing vowels quiz in the past 6 months or so I have said stuff like "Bring back the British Open"

Postby HappyCamper

In the provisional calendar the only thing down for August was qualifiers iirc.

So I guess they must be moving some of those to accommodate this new event.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:This is brilliant news, I used to love this tournament. It's funny as sometimes on the missing vowels quiz in the past 6 months or so I have said stuff like "Bring back the British Open"

When you quiz, people listen...<ok>

Postby James Bentley

Hope Dulux return to sponsor it. I still think of tournaments with their sponsors of a certain era (basically, around the time that I first got into snooker). So obviously Embassy for the World Championship, but also Rothmans Grand Prix, Coral UK Open, Mercantile Credit Classic, Benson & Hedges Masters, Dulux British Open. Guess there's a neural connection there that has become too ingrained to be easily broken.

Postby chengdufan

Seeing as we had the whole of last season in England, it would be great if all the events this year were held in China.
I would love it if the British Open were held in Chongqing.

Postby SnookerFan

chengdufan wrote:Seeing as we had the whole of last season in England, it would be great if all the events this year were held in China.

I honestly worry that with this Indian strain that the coronavirus threat is far from over yet.

Postby mick745

chengdufan wrote:Seeing as we had the whole of last season in England, it would be great if all the events this year were held in China.

As long as the China Open becomes a british event.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:

I honestly worry that with this Indian strain that the coronavirus threat is far from over yet.

:sad:

Postby Running side

I'd vote for Ireland, got a ring to it.British open in Ireland, who's going to explain that to Ace after last week's confusion.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I reckon we should have the Northern Ireland Open in The Republic Of Ireland. <ok>

Nice one SF; we really needed that can of worms open again <doh>

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Juddernaut88 wrote:This is brilliant news, I used to love this tournament. It's funny as sometimes on the missing vowels quiz in the past 6 months or so I have said stuff like "Bring back the British Open"

I said something about the tour lacking prestige because of all the old tournaments with history being gone. The British Open was one of those events.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

There's a 16 year gap in the history of this event. Higgins would probably be well ahead of Hendry by now. O'Sullivan would have than one title and Selby, Robertson and Trump would likely have won it at least once

Postby The_Abbott

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:There's a 16 year gap in the history of this event. Higgins would probably be well ahead of Hendry by now. O'Sullivan would have than one title and Selby, Robertson and Trump would likely have won it at least once

Sexy Fergal could have had 10

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I reckon we should have the Northern Ireland Open in The Republic Of Ireland. <ok>

Nice one SF; we really needed that can of worms open again <doh>

Hey man, no worries.

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:Is it being disassembled? What a shame

It was damaged in a fire iirc. Sadly the plan is to knock it down and build a new venue, rather than restore. Can't understand why it isn't listed, wonderful bit of modernism.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:I wonder where it will be held.

crawley leisure centre ronnie will be happy.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:
csprince wrote:

Really?

meant as a joke but it wouldn't surprise me.

Postby SnookerFan

csprince wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
csprince wrote:

Really?

meant as a joke but it wouldn't surprise me.

They seem to be using a lot of football stadiums for next season. The Ricoh Arena and Stadium MK are being used again, but so is Bolton's arena and Leicester City for the Shoot-Out. I assume they all have the same model of having a hotel on site, which may be why they were picked in coronavirus times. The players and staff can all get accommodation within the venue.

Postby chengdufan

The University of Bolton Stadium has a hotel attached and they're most likely using it.
That said, I did watch a snooker exhibition between Jimmy White and John Virgo there in the late 90s underneath one of the stands. It was the middle of winter and it was absolutely bucking freezing.