Post a reply

snooker.org 'hits': a few observations

Postby Pink Ball

Snooker.org is only one snooker website, but it's one of the most prominent. Indeed, it has had almost 2.9 million 'hits' over the last 12 months according to statistics it has shared online. For that reason, I think the spread from which its hits are coming is a decent marker of where interest is at.

The top 20 countries going by hits alone are as follows:
UK 1057268
Germany 184355
Thailand 115952
Finland 91816
Spain 88316
Ireland 83185
Sweden 75017
Turkey 67628
Norway 57224
Belgium 53391
Russia 51352
Poland 50624
France 49998
Netherlands 47103
USA 43126
Portugal 40767
Romania 40704
Hong Kong 36947
Italy 36291
Pakistan 35931

But if you break it down per head of population, which is surely a fairer way of comparing these countries, the list looks like this:
Ireland one hit per 59.8 people
Finland 60.3
UK 63.2
Norway 94.7
Sweden 134.6
Hong Kong 202.9
Belgium 217.1
Portugal 250.1
Netherlands 363
Germany 451.3
Romania 472.6
Spain 537.1
Thailand 558.7
Poland 747.6
Turkey 1236.4
France 1348.2
Italy 1666
Russia 2841.8
Pakistan 6147.7
USA 7675.2

Going by that, there's more interest in snooker in the Republic of Ireland than there is in any other country on earth. The Republic of Ireland is the nearest neighbour to the country that (quite rightly) hosts more tournaments than any other country, and yet we haven't hosted a ranking event or prestigious invitational for eight years.

Now, I do think that these things do slightly favour countries with smaller populations as that average is harder to keep down the bigger your population is. Ireland, Norway and Finland have the three smallest populations and they're all in the top four. I would still say that the UK, quite comfortably, has more interest in snooker than any other nation. It's also possible that countries outside the top 20 in terms of total hits would rank highly per head of population.

But there's no doubting that Ireland ranks very, very highly in terms of interest levels, and I think it's baffling that we've been getting nothing in return for that.

Looking at that as well, it looks like interest in neighbours Norway, Finland and Sweden is really high. Granted these countries' populations are small, and will therefore never have the X-Factor of a UK, Germany, USA or, for that matter, Turkey, but as far as filling venues is concerned, you'll have an easier job in Ireland, Norway, Finland and Sweden than you'll have almost anywhere else. All have bigger populations than Wales, which has held at least one ranking event every season for umpteen years.

Seems a little odd to me.

Re: snooker.org 'hits': a few observations

Postby Acé

Pink Ball wrote:But there's no doubting that Ireland ranks very, very highly in terms of interest levels, and I think it's baffling that we've been getting nothing in return for that.

you have a Home Nations

it's actually one of the best, most appealing venues too it's like an ITV event. It's even better than York which is highly overrated imo

Ireland Open, Welsh Open, CoC all look better with a more electric atmosphere

Postby Pink Ball

Acé wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:But there's no doubting that Ireland ranks very, very highly in terms of interest levels, and I think it's baffling that we've been getting nothing in return for that.

you have a Home Nations

it's actually one of the best, most appealing venues too it's like an ITV event. It's even better than York which is highly overrated imo

Ireland Open, Welsh Open, CoC all look better with a more electric atmosphere

Yes, I consider Belfast as Ireland too, but there's some technicality about it not being Ireland.

Stats for the territory in which the Northern Ireland Open is played are not counted as Ireland, they're counted as UK. The Republic of Ireland has not hosted a ranking event for eight years.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Hearn said on twitter once that the Irish Masters could return if an Irish broadcaster would cover it but I can't see that happening. The Belfast event suffers from only being shown on Eurosport as part of a nations series so it doesn't have much of a connection. The previous event there in the 00's had coverage on TG4 and felt a much bigger deal.

Postby Pink Ball

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Hearn said on twitter once that the Irish Masters could return if an Irish broadcaster would cover it but I can't see that happening. The Belfast event suffers from only being shown on Eurosport as part of a nations series so it doesn't have much of a connection. The previous event there in the 00's had coverage on TG4 and felt a much bigger deal.

And it was broadcast in Irish. It felt like all my Christmases had come at once.

Postby Running side

Really interesting post Pink Ball,Ireland really hard done by regarding tournaments for years,don't understanding why local TV won't promote this, massive opportunities for local sponsors, I'd guess no problem selling tickets. My family moved to Ireland about a year ago and son in law keen player really looking forward towards playing soon ,he said there's lots
of players and clubs available, hopefully I'll be visiting family soon which will include a few frames .

Postby Dan-cat

Great post Pinkie.

Not important this really, just an observation - hits doesn't mean 'visits' or unique users (which is always the most useful stat.) A hit equates to every pull on the server, every image etc, so one visit may equate to several hundred or thousands of 'hits'.

Unless they mean visits. Yes, it's confusing.

Postby Pink Ball

Dan-cat wrote:Great post Pinkie.

Not important this really, just an observation - hits doesn't mean 'visits' or unique users (which is always the most useful stat.) A hit equates to every pull on the server, every image etc, so one visit may equate to several hundred or thousands of 'hits'.

Unless they mean visits. Yes, it's confusing.

It is indeed visitors, my apologies. They've also provided a top 20 per head of capita.

1. Republic of Ireland
2. Finland
3. UK
4. Malta
5. Norway
6. Sweden
7. Latvia
8. Estonia
9. Iceland
10. Hong Kong

So the question still is this: why is it that Scotland and Wales have at least one ranking tournament a year, often more, while the Republic of Ireland, right next door, has not staged a single tour event, not one, since 2013?

Postby LDS

Considering Ken Doherty has quite a large influence in the game combined with the fact that Shaun Murphy is the player's representative on the board of decision making, and he currently lives in Dublin, one can't help but wonder if there's more to it than simply "we would like a tournament there".

My first guess would be bureaucratic red tape of some kind. Which might include such things as, but not exclusively, tax issues, contract issues, local regulations.

Postby chengdufan

Running side wrote:Suggest Islanders email WST to ask for a explanation why no tournaments in Ireland for so long.

Thanks. Let us know what they say

Postby chengdufan

I may be wrong, but I don't think WST are setting up tournaments directly. I would have thought they rely on outside parties to set things up locally, organise and pay for everything, including the prize money. WST's role will be to provide support, rules, guidance and status to the event, in exchange for a fee.
The Chinese players told me that for events outside the UK, they are provided with accommodation in good hotels too, while in the UK they have to cover expenses themselves.

So I suspect it comes down to money. You need an individual with enough dough, enough time and enough interest in the game to organise a tournament. It's a high risk investment and the profit margin will likely be low, if indeed it is profitable.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Pink Ball wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Hearn said on twitter once that the Irish Masters could return if an Irish broadcaster would cover it but I can't see that happening. The Belfast event suffers from only being shown on Eurosport as part of a nations series so it doesn't have much of a connection. The previous event there in the 00's had coverage on TG4 and felt a much bigger deal.

And it was broadcast in Irish. It felt like all my Christmases had come at once.

I tried to find some of it on Youtube but there was nothing.

Postby Pink Ball

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

I tried to find some of it on Youtube but there was nothing.

https://vimeo.com/153336676

Postby Acé

Pink Ball wrote:Yes, I consider Belfast as Ireland too, but there's some technicality about it not being Ireland.

Stats for the territory in which the Northern Ireland Open is played are not counted as Ireland, they're counted as UK. The Republic of Ireland has not hosted a ranking event for eight years.

huh?

Ireland literally has a ranking event part of the Home nations

it's in Belfast because Alex Higgins, an Irish player, was born there. Mark Allen is also Irish and from Belfast. Alex Higgins's daughter on Twitter is also Irish and considers Belfast Irish...because it's in Ireland :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

there was also a smoking hot blonde who presented Mark King with the title in 2016 and she was Irish, in Ireland, one of Alex Higgins's family members

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Yes, I consider Belfast as Ireland too, but there's some technicality about it not being Ireland.

huh?

Ireland literally has a ranking event part of the Home nations

it's in Belfast because Alex Higgins, an Irish player, was born there. Mark Allen is also Irish and from Belfast. Alex Higgins's daughter on Twitter is also Irish and considers Belfast Irish...because it's in Ireland :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

there was also a smoking hot blonde who presented Mark King with the title in 2016 and she was Irish, in Ireland, one of Alex Higgins's family members

It’s currently a different country regardless of how it’s considered.

Visits to snooker.org from Northern Ireland will come under the UK.

The Northern Ireland Open is part of the “Home Nations” series. Despite being on the island of Ireland it’s not really an ‘Irish’ tournament.

Ireland should have a tournament of its own.

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:It’s currently a different country regardless of how it’s considered.

The Northern Ireland Open is part of the “Home Nations” series. Despite being on the island of Ireland it’s not really an ‘Irish’ tournament.

so Alex Higgins and Mark Allen aren't Irish now?

Postby HappyCamper

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:It’s currently a different country regardless of how it’s considered.

Irish in the sense of being from the island of Ireland, yes

Irish in the sense of citizenship of the country of Ireland , no.

Postby Acé

HappyCamper wrote:
Acé wrote:

so why wouldn't a tournament being from the island of Ireland be Irish?

you guys should go to WST and tell them Alex Higgins and Mark Allen aren't Irish then see how everyone will laugh at you

and tell Eurosport the Northern ireland open isn't Irish LMAO it's the "island of Ireland open"

Postby Pink Ball

Acé wrote:

No they are not/were not. Both are British, as is their right. Taylor is from the same country but is Irish, as is his right. If you’re from Northern Ireland, you can be either, both, or neither. But it is recognised as part of Britain and not Ireland. Although it is on the island of Ireland.

I hope that makes it clearer.

Postby Acé

Pink Ball wrote:
Acé wrote:

No they are not/were not. Both are British, as is their right. Taylor is from the same country but is Irish, as is his right. If you’re from Northern Ireland, you can be either, both, or neither. But it is recognised as part of Britain and not Ireland. Although it is on the island of Ireland.

I hope that makes it clearer.

what is this mental gymnastics?

so you're saying Alex Higgins and Mark Allen despite being born in Ireland are not Irish? the island is literally on Ireland

am I not a British citizen because I'm black now despite being born in London?

Or I have to be White to conform?

Postby HappyCamper

Acé wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
Acé wrote:

so why wouldn't a tournament being from the island of Ireland be Irish?

you guys should go to WST and tell them Alex Higgins and Mark Allen aren't Irish then see how everyone will laugh at you

and tell Eurosport the Northern ireland open isn't Irish LMAO it's the "island of Ireland open"

It would be Irish in being related to the country of Ireland. Which is what the OP was explicitly discussing. In that regard it is Northern Irish; hence the name northern Ireland open and being part of the home nations series.

I'm sure ES and WST are already aware of these basic facts.

Postby Pink Ball

Acé wrote:I have been to Ireland btw

best women in the UK no doubt so you guys have that if I had the money and job to move I definitely would

Acé, I don't think you understand the subtleties of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Lions in the zoo and lines on the road are two different things.