Post a reply

O'sullivans career nearing the end?

Postby likelylad

This season we noticed he has passed quite some events. I dont think he participated in any ptc event (very nice to the fans) Instead it looks he is more interested in exhibitions and off the tour one day shows (power snooker). His participation in the legends tour is beyond belief as it ought to be a tour for seniors who have earned their fame and have no chance to challenge the top 32. This includes Jimmy of course. Whats your idea?

Re: O'sullivans career nearing the end?

Postby Monique

Small correction: Ronnie has entered PTC1, when most top pro didn't, made the quarters and PTC4 where he made the final.
Also I would not see any "sign" in the snooker legends participation. He's probably one the organisers are more than happy to have on board.
He said several times in interviews recently that he would like to continue to play until he's 40 if he can sustain a decent enough standard (by his own criteria ;) ) and stay in top 16. So he's not going away just yet unless constraints in his private life force him into retirement.

Postby Wildey

at 35 years of age with more tournaments on the cards next season i think its fair to say Ronnie will not be WN1 Again so he will be in semi retirement at least.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

His right handed career might be nearing an end, step forward his left hand career. Did you know the name Harry Potter was dedicated to him by Ms. Rowling?

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:He will still be winning tournaments when he's in his 50's if he wants to.

:bs:

Although he will still take some beating in majors for the next 5 years.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:He will still be winning tournaments when he's in his 50's if he wants to.

he doesn't really want to win tournaments at 34 he isnt winning tournaments at 34 even.

Postby likelylad

SnookerFan wrote:Oh goody. Another will Ronnie retire? thread. He's been "close to retirement" for the last five or six seasons.

Oops, sorry for it. I posted this now as he is changing his choice of events this season. Where he did pull out of some tournament in previous years, he not only passes some events but changes his choices towards exhibitions (snooker legends) and one dayers (power snooker).

Postby SnookerFan

likelylad wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Oh goody. Another will Ronnie retire? thread. He's been "close to retirement" for the last five or six seasons.

Oops, sorry for it. I posted this now as he is changing his choice of events this season. Where he did pull out of some tournament in previous years, he not only passes some events but changes his choices towards exhibitions (snooker legends) and one dayers (power snooker).

Not meant as a diss to you... :) Just he always seems to be close to it.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
likelylad wrote:

Not meant as a diss to you... :) Just he always seems to be close to it.

Ronnie First Mentioned Retirement in 1994 when he was Defending UK Champion and lost to Ken Doherty lol

Postby SnookerFan

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:Ronnie First Mentioned Retirement in 1994 when he was Defending UK Champion and lost to Ken Doherty lol

My history isn't great. Remind me, did he retire then? <laugh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:Ronnie First Mentioned Retirement in 1994 when he was Defending UK Champion and lost to Ken Doherty lol

My history isn't great. Remind me, did he retire then? <laugh>

for about 30 seconds :redneck:

Postby gallantrabbit

I think he's taking advantage of the fact that there are more tourneys to pick and choose. It's a shame as Hearn could do with him 'promoting' the game, but he's his own man.
NB if he played tourneys fully left handed he'd barely win a match. All this nonsense about him making 100s left handed has not been proved. I know there's stuff on the internet but he doesn't paly every shot left handed, just the majority of the doable ones.

Postby Wildey

yes playing practice left handed is totally different to playing tournaments left handed....im sure he could compete but he would be nearer top 64 rather than top 16.

Postby Monique

Ronnie never claimed he's as good lefthanded as he is righthanded. He said several times he hasn't the same power and there are shots he can't play. However for some reason he feels more consistent, within limitations, lefthanded.

Postby Tubberlad

Monique wrote:Ronnie never claimed he's as good lefthanded as he is righthanded. He said several times he hasn't the same power and there are shots he can't play. However for some reason he feels more consistent, within limitations, lefthanded.

It's probably something that gives him a bit of motivation, a bit of freshness. It's a challenge, it's different. I could see O'Sullivan beating most players left handed...

Postby Bourne

gallantrabbit wrote:No way Tubber. Yes it might motivate him but he'd never achieve the consistency left handed. Anyone in the top 96 would take him apart.

No way top 96, I doubt he'd be top 16 entirely left-handed but he would easily mop up most of the players outside the top 32.

Postby gallantrabbit

No chance. Stick him on the cushion in baulk or ask him to pot long and any pro would mop up the result. Sure he could score from close in but a pro would just leave him long and wait.