Topic locked

Re: Hendry - PTC not for me!

Postby GJ

i agree with stephen a possible idea is having this as a challenger series like they do in tennis to give the lower level players a chance for success

the big boys battle in the PROPER ranking events

Postby Casey

Its going to be hard for the players to play in them all next year, the only fair thing would be say your 3 best results in PTC & RPTC go towards your ranking.

Postby Witz78

Im sorry but this is nothing more than sour grapes from Hendry because hes struggled badly in the events hes played in.

And im not just saying that cos i dislike Hendry. Others like Allen have echoed Hendrys views and i disagree with them too.

The players wanted extra snooker, the PTC gives them that so they should be happy with that.

Sure for the likes of Hendry i can understand that the events are a bit of an anti-climax compared to their previous glories.

But unless your in the position of the likes of Ronnie or Robbo who are good enough to be able to sacrifice the PTC events and still maintain a decent tranking through the main events, then you really have no choice but to enter these events to try and earn vital ranking points to determine what stage they enter the main rankers at.

Its also comeptitive match practice between the main rankers which surely isnt a bad thing.

The idea with the EPTCs especially is to showcase the game to new areas of the world with a view to these becoming future rankers and i feel all players should enter these unless they have a valid excuse.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Its going to be hard for the players to play in them all next year, the only fair thing would be say your 3 best results in PTC & RPTC go towards your ranking.

i like that idea however 3 out of 12 is too few lol

6 or 8 out of 12 would be better.

Regarding Hendry he would have Loved the PTC at the start of his career i have no doubt about that Hendry is Commenting through the eyes of a Been there Done that Legend not the eyes of a 17 year old Kid from Scotland.

Postby Casey

He did say though that he has to enter them because of the ranking points, also he mentions that other players feel the same.

During the World Open Mark Williams complained about the money on offer for them, but said he has to play in them because of the ranking points.

I still think the best 6 results should go towards your ranking ie. best 3 in PTC and EPTC.

Its not such an issue this year, but next year with more ranking events on it will be hard for players getting to the latter stages of those events to make all the PTC's.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Im sorry but this is nothing more than sour grapes from Hendry because hes struggled badly in the events hes played in.

you dont know stephen well dont you.

he is as honest as they come no bullshitting with him.

He would have said same think if he won 2 or 3 of them yes he would be happier having won them but he would not like to play in them all the same and he would say that.

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Im sorry but this is nothing more than sour grapes from Hendry because hes struggled badly in the events hes played in.

He would have said same think if he won 2 or 3 of them yes he would be happier having won them but he would not like to play in them all the same and he would say that.

well he always tells us hes playing well in practice, that has to be bull rofl

i agree with Case, going forward into next season id probably see your top 8 (4 PTC / 4EPTC) results counting towards your final ranking.

Depending upon where your are in your career and how motivated you are, will determine how many events you enter most likely.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:

well he always tells us hes playing well in practice, that has to be bull rofl

i agree with Case, going forward into next season id probably see your top 8 (4 PTC / 4EPTC) results counting towards your final ranking.

Depending upon where your are in your career and how motivated you are, will determine how many events you enter most likely.

Yea top 8 results works, especially for those in the PL and those you get invited to other non-ranking events. It also means the ranking system won't get distorted with some journeymen entering them all and pushing high up the rankings.

Postby Wildey

im a fan of Stephen Hendry as we all know ;) but i love the PTC think its a great idea and if Stephens Career suffer because of them well so be it The Sport Moves on and Legends Retire ....

Without the PTC Anthony Mcgill in his first season would never be Ranked 55 they are the future they are the Legends of the Future they need to be encouraged to have half a chance.

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:im a fan of Stephen Hendry as we all know ;) but i love the PTC think its a great idea and if Stephens Career suffer because of them well so be it The Sport Moves on and Legends Retire ....

Without the PTC Anthony Mcgill in his first season would never be Ranked 55 they are the future they are the Legends of the Future they need to be encouraged to have half a chance.

<ok>

Yeh i like McGill. He could become the first Scottish player ive ever liked :scared:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:im a fan of Stephen Hendry as we all know ;) but i love the PTC think its a great idea and if Stephens Career suffer because of them well so be it The Sport Moves on and Legends Retire ....

<ok>

Yeh i like McGill. He could become the first Scottish player ive ever liked :scared:

yes ive always had a feeling you hated yourself while playing <laugh>

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:

<ok>

Do you not like Maguire?

Trump is another one who has benefited greatly form the PTC's :D

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

<ok>

yes ive always had a feeling you hated yourself while playing <laugh>

about half of the time i do, well i hate my inner voice that tells me im going to miss anyway :huh:

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

<ok>

Do you not like Maguire?

Martin Gould is another and Marcus Campbell is now a top 32 Player.

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

<ok>

Do you not like Maguire?

Maguire - dont mind too much as hes a bit controversial at times, but cos his career has stalled ive lost interest in him

Dott - boring squeaky voiced weakling, hes so dull and boring

Hendry - used to be public enemy number 1 for me after all them White defeats, found him too robotic and devoid of personality.

Higgins - hated him before, found him too good to be true as a person and ive been proved right.

McManus - didnt mind him in the early 90s but he was a wasted talent and i wasnt a massive fan

Burnett - what a boring guy and looks well shady

Campbell - hardly what the future of snooker needs, so dull

Small - found him to be boring too, hardly a charismatic character.

Postby Casey

haha fair enough. Never liked Small myself, although I felt sorry for him the way his career ended.

Postby vodkadiet

It all depends on what stage a player is in his career whether or not he will like these events. Hendry has no money problems,his game has been going downhill for many years,and in an environment out of the glare of the public eye he will struggle to beat any reasonable player. If every tournament was played at Wembley or The Crucible he would still be in the top 8. However,the tour cannot be dictated to for the sake of 'The Legend'.

Hendry should maybe retire gracefully rather than reducing himself to playing in events that are there for the journeyman player or the up and coming player.

Quality big match players of the day like Neil Robertson are also not suited to these smaller events but he will get enough good results from the big events to keep his ranking high enough.

One thing is for sure these events need to carry a much lower ranking point tariff than real televised events,otherwise the top of the rankings will be full of players who cannot cut it on the big stage.

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:It all depends on what stage a player is in his career whether or not he will like these events. Hendry has no money problems,his game has been going downhill for many years,and in an environment out of the glare of the public eye he will struggle to beat any reasonable player. If every tournament was played at Wembley or The Crucible he would still be in the top 8. However,the tour cannot be dictated to for the sake of 'The Legend'.

Hendry should maybe retire gracefully rather than reducing himself to playing in events that are there for the journeyman player or the up and coming player.

Quality big match players of the day like Neil Robertson are also not suited to these smaller events but he will get enough good results from the big events to keep his ranking high enough.

One thing is for sure these events need to carry a much lower ranking point tariff than real televised events,otherwise the top of the rankings will be full of players who cannot cut it on the big stage.

but if the journeymen rose to the top of the rankings cos of the PTC but couldnt cut it on the big stage then theyd lose at the big events and drop back down the rankings rofl

the PTC ranking tariffs are fine, up to 2000 per event. from memory the PTC tour counts for 27000 out of a total of 73000 points available this season which is a decent chunk for the backbone of the tour but not a crazy high percentage.

The only changes id make would be to make the UK Champs rise up to 9,000 and the Worlds up to 12,000 points to put these head and shoulders above the other main rankers.

Postby Wildey

Stephen Hendry was NEVER Robotic...Absalutly Biased rubbish

Postby Tubberlad

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:Stephen Hendry was NEVER Robotic...Absalutly Biased rubbish

Strange, I absolutely agree with Witz. Hendry was a fantastic player with a game that was ultra attacking and if right were right he should have been very exciting to watch. Yet wasn't. I've never felt altogether unthused with watching Hendry play, with the final session against Ronnie in 2002 being the glaring exception.

Postby Smart

I'm with witz and tubber here.

Hendo was very much the robot in every sense. Ruthless in the balls, and hardly ever missed. Just thinking back to when he made a clearance and the camera would trail him back to his seat and he would do that stupid double sip of water. (Adding to the robot feel) :idea: <ok> :idea: <ok>

Postby Wildey

Stephen Hendry became Robotic He was never Robotic at his Peak Sorry Guys but your Clueless

Stephen Maguire is far More Robotic than Hendry was the only thing That Made Hendry Look like a machine was the Fact he kept winning.

unbelievable how Fickle Sport fans are.

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:Stephen Hendry became Robotic He was never Robotic at his Peak Sorry Guys but your Clueless

Stephen Maguire is far More Robotic than Hendry was the only thing That Made Hendry Look like a machine was the Fact he kept winning.

unbelievable how Fickle Sport fans are.

i remember watching Hendry at his peak and always thought that.

He was as much of a robot as Davis was in the 80s. No emotion expressed and a complete non personality, and they style of play whilst as close to perfect as you can get, was non pleasing on the eye as he always played the sensible shots (albeit well) plus the fact you knew he would clear the table then just walk away to his seat without even raising a smile made him dull and robotic.

Postby Wildey

Thats Not Robotic lol

Thats Personality defect or Tunnel Vision.

by the Late 90s Hendrys Cue Action had become Robotic he was nowhere near the same player that Dominated the Game.

more i think about it quite possibly bucking about with his cue action became his downfall always striving for perfecting almost perfection.

Postby Sickpotter

IMO a "robotic" player is someone who makes every shot in a mechanical looking way and plays without any rythm or touch.

I prefer to think of Hendry and Davis as "textbook" players rather than robotic. :idea:

Hendry had such good rythm in the balls he was hypnotic and as for lack of reaction/emotion, that's just a natural result of 100% focus and pure self belief. Why get excited about a result you knew was a certainty to start with? Pretty arrogant certainly but that's the level of self belief Hendry had at his best. That's the self belief required to dominate. :ahh:

Davis has found contentment in just enjoying the game which has allowed his personality to come through and appear less robotic. I think having learned to just enjoy playing is the key to his longevity at the top of the game.

Hendry needs to adopt a similar approach or I think we'll see him retire. He loves the game but a few good performances and simply enjoying the game isn't enough, he needs to win titles. Quite frankly I think he's only still playing because he's in the top 16 and would expect he'll retire if he drops out of it. :sad:

Postby gallantrabbit

It's a little disappointing to see this from someone who should now be thinking about putting something extrra back into the game. Ok he's given the game a lot, but he's had a lot out too.
Does he think that BH thinks the PTCs are a finished product? Surely not. PTC exists imo only because one of the major promises BH made to the players was that he would get them playing again. So what have the PTCs achieved. Low cost events, many at Sheffield, which Hearn felt he had to use more and get value out of. Preactice opportunities for all players who were playing very little snooker. Chances to win money, previously very thin on the ground. And the potential to grow into something bigger. FFS this is the first year and snooker has been absolutely TRANSFORMED by Hearn's enthusiasm and actions. Where were we this time last year. Nosoddinwhere is the answer.
Hendry should be happy that the game he loves is not going to die, thanks to Hearn, cut his loyalties with old man Doyle and back and support what Hearn is doing to really help the game that Hendry supposedly loves.
If Hendry was willing to promote the game just a little is there any doubt that he'd have been invivted to Power Snooker? Could they have denied the 7 times world champion and greatest ever?

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:It's a little disappointing to see this from someone who should now be thinking about putting something extrra back into the game. Ok he's given the game a lot, but he's had a lot out too.
Does he think that BH thinks the PTCs are a finished product? Surely not. PTC exists imo only because one of the major promises BH made to the players was that he would get them playing again. So what have the PTCs achieved. Low cost events, many at Sheffield, which Hearn felt he had to use more and get value out of. Preactice opportunities for all players who were playing very little snooker. Chances to win money, previously very thin on the ground. And the potential to grow into something bigger. FFS this is the first year and snooker has been absolutely TRANSFORMED by Hearn's enthusiasm and actions. Where were we this time last year. Nosoddinwhere is the answer.
Hendry should be happy that the game he loves is not going to die, thanks to Hearn, cut his loyalties with old man Doyle and back and support what Hearn is doing to really help the game that Hendry supposedly loves.
If Hendry was willing to promote the game just a little is there any doubt that he'd have been invivted to Power Snooker? Could they have denied the 7 times world champion and greatest ever?

yes but lets face it Steve Davis not exactly bending over backwards to play and hes Barrys best mate.

hendry just being honest yes its disappointing he cant get up for them but thats life the sport has to move on and it will with Hendry or without Hendry.