Davis
81%
Selby
19%

Total votes : 21

Re: 80s Davis vs Selby

Postby Cloud Strife

Davis for me.

I know for a fact Selby’s slow play antics and gamesmanship would not have worked on Steve.

Postby SnookerEd25

Davis would have the patience to cope with Selby that most modern players lack. It visibly wilts them, whereas he’d have loved that kind of challenge.

Postby The_Abbott

Davis kept awake playing Griffiths and Thorburn. He could easily handle Selby

I would love to see rime Thorburn V Selby. That would be a long watache.
Last edited by The_Abbott on 04 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mick745

Davis for me, he is one of the three greatest players ever along with Hendry and O'Sullivan.

Davis would have been quite happy to glue Selby to the baulk cushion for hour after hour and still been able to clear up if he got a chance.

As someone else said, Davis would have seen it as a challenge.

Postby mick745

It is the old comparing eras argument.

I believe that great players of the past would be great players now they would have adapted their games to modern conditions.

Being a champion is something ingrained inside you i think.

Davis v Selby would have been an interesting match though and probably a close match at that.

But if all the great players like Reardon, Davis, Hendry, O'S had all played at their peaks at the same time none of them would have been able to win as many world titles as they did.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:Davis for me.

I know for a fact Selby’s slow play antics and gamesmanship would not have worked on Steve.

Indeed.

Postby TheRocket

Davis.

As Cloud pointed out. Selbys style of play and gamesmanship wouldnt affect Davis and the latter wouldnt have any problem whatsoever in competing or even winning these long 40-50 minute battles. So Selbys biggest weapon to destroy opponents mentally and get under their skin wouldnt work against Davis.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Why would they have to be in their 80s before they played?

pmsl

Postby HappyCamper

Dragonfly wrote:Davis would have the more interesting DJ sets

you saying you don't want to listen to three hours of non stop kasabian !??

Postby Dragonfly

HappyCamper wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:Davis would have the more interesting DJ sets

you saying you don't want to listen to three hours of non stop kasabian !??

Good God. Nooooooooooo!

Postby Juddernaut88

Johnny Bravo wrote:Selby easy. He's better in every department.

:shock:

Postby Truth

I think Davis would find Selby a thoroughly interesting opponent. Ironically, Selby might need to rely on his attacking game to get an advantage.

Postby LDS

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Selby easily. Fred was already about 70 by then.

It's quite sad that when Mark retires there will be no Davisises in snooker for the first time in nearly 100 years.

Postby Cazoo

Davis, for sure. Selby would be playing every shot from right on the baulk cushion. Davis also wouldn’t care about Selby’s shithousery. I feel like the nugget doesn’t get the respect he deserves these days. One of the true GOATs of the game and an excellent ambassador.

Postby Dan-cat

Cazoo wrote:Davis, for sure. Selby would be playing every shot from right on the baulk cushion. Davis also wouldn’t care about Selby’s shithousery. I feel like the nugget doesn’t get the respect he deserves these days. One of the true GOATs of the game and an excellent ambassador.

Undoubtedly. He was clinical, robotic, brilliant.

Postby Andre147

Truth wrote:I think Davis would find Selby a thoroughly interesting opponent. Ironically, Selby might need to rely on his attacking game to get an advantage.

Yes Davis certainly wouldn't take any risks, that wasn't the way to play in the 80s, so Selby would need to be more attacking to get in.