Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final Mark Selby v Shaun Murp

Postby badtemperedcyril

Cloud Strife wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Selby v Trump at the Crucible is surely a mouthwatering prospect we shall get to see in the fullness of time. Hopefully they are in opposite halves of the draw. Trump is bound to remain No.1, so it’s down to Selby to stay in the top 3.

Selby will be automatically seeded as number 1 next year, as champion. It is Trump who will need to stay in the top 3, which looks nailed on to be honest, so they should be in opposite halves of the draw next year.

Sorry, yes of course. It’s getting late...

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Yesterday people had a debate whether even Trump would fail to beat Selby over 4 sessions. Now we've seen that a below par Murphy who kept breaking down on 30 and 40 still won 15 frames.

So what do you think an in form Trump would do to Selby? I can tell you. He would slaughter him.

All very well speculating what Judd may do inform. Being able to produce his best at the business end of the WC is going to be his biggest challenge. The fact remains, in 14 Crucible appearances he remains a one time world champion. A poor return for someone of such remarkable talent and who’s dominated the past three seasons in other events. As we saw in the UK final, he isn’t always as solid as a rock when the heats on. Can you see a prime Hendry, Higgins, Williams, O’Sullivan or Selby “fluffing” a TC winning chance like that?

They all have though? Remember Hendrys missed black and Ronnie or Higgins lost matches from well in front. I agree however that Trumps record in the bigger events isnt good obviously.

But when it comes to H2H he seems to have the better of Selby. And quite comfortably actually looking at the scorelines.

Theres a lot of talk about Crucible Players Barry Hawkins, Kyren Wilson, and in the past Matthew Stevens but Mark Selby is the ultimate Crucible player im not sure how Judd would really handle Selby getting his teeth in to a long Crucible Match against him.

Any time I've seen Trump play Selby over the last few years, Selby has looked totally lost, and that's the only opponent I'd accuse Selby of looking clueless against. I have no doubt he'd hammer Selby over four sessions, and that's not because I think he's miles better than Selby, it's because everyone has a bogey match-up, and Trump is overwhelmingly that match-up for Selby.

But greatness isn't just about beating the best. If anything, it's more so about putting away the fellas who are nowhere near as good as you on the biggest stage, and Trump needs to click into that gear in 2021/22.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Trump, in many ways has been a victim of his own success. He’d gone a bit ragged by the time of this championship. I’m sure also that had the 2020 WC been played in April/May, he’d have won it. By August when he lost to Wilson, he’d lost his momentum, despite putting up quite a battling defence.

Postby McManusFan

A middling final, that got pretty good towards the end. It was quite a mini-comeback from Shaun. A shame we didn't get one more frame.

When was the last time a player won the second session of a final, but didn't win the match? I'm fairly sure that session was Higgins' downfall in 17/18/19.

Postby SnookerEd25

Shogi wrote:One wonders if the semifinal last year has lit a fire under Selbo’s bottom and made him hungrier to win again. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the next couple of years

Looks like it. Really hard to equate the Selby we’ve seen this year with the fellow who meekly exited at the hands of Joe Perry & Gary Wilson in 2018 & 2019.

Looks like ROS unwittingly sparked the only real claimant to the Beast Mode title :sad:

Postby Holden Chinaski

This was Judd's title to lose. He keeps going on about being the best but he needs triple crown titles to prove it. I'm sure he would have beaten Selby had he played him in the final. Him and Ronnie could have beaten Selby. Murphy was alright but made too many 40 and 50 breaks. You need bigger breaks than that to beat a world class player. Well done Selby. Great achievement despite a bit of gamesmanship here and there. :hatoff:

Postby The_Abbott

Holden Chinaski wrote:This was Judd's title to lose. He keeps going on about being the best but he needs triple crown titles to prove it. I'm sure he would have beaten Selby had he played him in the final. Him and Ronnie could have beaten Selby. Murphy was alright but made too many 40 and 50 breaks. You need bigger breaks than that to beat a world class player. Well done Selby. Great achievement despite a bit of gamesmanship here and there. :hatoff:

Judd needs to put his attention into his Snooker. Stop trying to do comms and punditry with your mates and moaning about modernising the game and practice. Even Jimmy could beat him in practice.

He needs to do his talking on the baize.

If Judd can't beat other players, he won't touch Selby in the final.

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:So, is Selby better than MJW now, what do you think?

Not much in it, but MJW would be just ahead for me, simply because the bulk of his achievements came in an era when the strength in depth was far tougher.

I’ve always thought of Selby on a par with Ebdon, and that hasn’t changed; if they swapped birth years, Ebdon could be on 4 with Selby on 1.

Just my feeling, and of course it’s subjective.

Postby Dan-cat

I adore the Crucible and sad that it's gone but now I can get some work done! If I'm not watching snooker, I'm reading about it or chatting to you lot.

I've been quite disciplined in the mornings this time, a two hour work slot then snooker.

Regular Tuesday pool game tonight, can't wait! Had that mammoth Friday session too, adjusted my technique, excited to see how i play.

Postby mick745

The_Abbott wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:This was Judd's title to lose. He keeps going on about being the best but he needs triple crown titles to prove it. I'm sure he would have beaten Selby had he played him in the final. Him and Ronnie could have beaten Selby. Murphy was alright but made too many 40 and 50 breaks. You need bigger breaks than that to beat a world class player. Well done Selby. Great achievement despite a bit of gamesmanship here and there. :hatoff:

Judd needs to put his attention into his Snooker. Stop trying to do comms and punditry with your mates and moaning about modernising the game and practice. Even Jimmy could beat him in practice.

Yes it was strange Judd hanging around watching someone else win it , contrast to when Hendry drove back to scotland when he lost in his words "wasnt hanging around to watch someone else win it".

Judd should have been hurting big time.

And besides he is hardly a long term punditry solution as he would probably still be playing towards the end of most tournaments anyway.

Postby Iranu

The_Abbott wrote:

Woah this is a bit harsh on Judd!

The season’s over for a few months, what difference does a few days of punditry make? And most of his comments in modernising snooker were bang-on and needed to be said.

I think the two years he's had show he’s putting his time into snooker.

Postby sas6789

TheRocket wrote:Yesterday people had a debate whether even Trump would fail to beat Selby over 4 sessions. Now we've seen that a below par Murphy who kept breaking down on 30 and 40 still won 15 frames.

So what do you think an inform Trump would do to Selby? I can tell you. He would slaughter him.

Selby wasn't at his best either.

Postby SnookerEd25

Alex0paul wrote:This time last month we were all waiting for Hendry v White

As we were (those of us who were alive / cared) 29years ago to the day, the third and fourth sessions with Jimbo holding a 9-7 lead.

I won’t give any spoilers, in case anybody doesn’t yet know the result :chuckle:

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:

Kinda are again what with the seniors coming up

rofl rofl

Somebody tell Dennis Taylor that the Seniors is on The Red Button. He'll be complaining that the BBC have pulled it.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

As we were (those of us who were alive / cared) 29years ago to the day, the third and fourth sessions with Jimbo holding a 9-7 lead.

I won’t give any spoilers, in case anybody doesn’t yet know the result :chuckle:

Barring snookers.

Postby TheRocket

sas6789 wrote:

So what do you think an inform Trump would do to Selby? I can tell you. He would slaughter him.

Selby wasn't at his best either.

Trump for me is Selbys bogeyman and the only player Selby truly fears. Selby is very uncomfortable when playing Trump because Trump with his power game can neutralise Selbys strategy better than anyone else does. The H2H also speaks for itself. Its not just that Trump won, many matches werent even competitive. Trump destroyed him.

Postby Jester82

Little venues. It would be interesting to see these two different approaches on a 25-35 frames event in the Crucible.
Murphy wasn't below par, he was doing well, long potting even outstanding. When you know your opponent can tidy up it is gonna be difficult.