Post a reply

Another "Brain freeze" !!!!!

Postby shanew48

Selby just stated that he suffered from another "Brain freeze" yesterday, they always seem to occur when his opponent is in the ascendancy, strange that.

Like yesterday when Bingham won two quick frames, the next frame was the 63 minute one, so it's obviously a tactic that he employs, it may be within the rules but it's not in the spirit which is why even the crowd seem to be turning against him it feels like now.

The thing is he is good enough to not have to deploy these tactics, his break building is good enough to go toe to toe with pretty much all of the other players so all this gamesmanship isn't even required, he could win without them and also keep the respect of the paying and watching public at the same time, the way he is going he will be remembered as an ATG but also remembered for his gamesmanship which is a shame for his legacy as like I say he could be just as successful without deliberately slowing matches down and playing on when there is no chance of winning the frame, there's just no need for all of that is there.

Re: Another "Brain freeze" !!!!!

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

He doesn't need gamesmanship to win World Titles but it's definitely helping. If he wins on Monday that's four tiles in eight years, the best run since Hendry in the 90's. And there's also the World title that slipped through his fingers last year. If he had won that he could be level with O'Sullivan in under a decade. That' an incredible run even for one of the best players ever and it's partly due to tactics which although not against the rules would definitely be banned if other top players started using them regularly.

Postby mick745

I think it is very easy to critise elite sportspeople sometimes from the comfort of our own smartphones but none of us really know what it is like to be under that much pressure where a silly mistake can cost you dearly, not just the frame and match, but prize money, chances of lucrative sponsorship deals, etc.

I dont think i'd be able to hold my cue steady let alone knock in pots and make century breaks in that position.

Postby Cloud Strife

mick745 wrote:I think it is very easy to critise elite sportspeople sometimes from the comfort of our own smartphones but none of us really know what it is like to be under that much pressure where a silly mistake can cost you dearly, not just the frame and match, but prize money, chances of lucrative sponsorship deals, etc.

I dont think i'd be able to hold my cue steady let alone knock in pots and make century breaks in that position.

Mate, I think Selby could take a giant dump on your head from a great height and you'd still somehow find a way of defending him.

Postby Running side

Cloud Strife wrote:
mick745 wrote:I think it is very easy to critise elite sportspeople sometimes from the comfort of our own smartphones but none of us really know what it is like to be under that much pressure where a silly mistake can cost you dearly, not just the frame and match, but prize money, chances of lucrative sponsorship deals, etc.

Mate, I think Selby could take a giant dump on your head from a great height and you'd still somehow find a way of defending him.

Don't get people who rate selby, having mistakenly paid three times at the crucible to watch him in he was painfully boring no personality, and amazingly lucky in every match. Loads of people had enough by MSI and gave the bar a try.

Postby mick745

My Father used to say "there are those that do and those that snipe. Never critise, just go out there and prove you are better".

Postby vodkadiet1

I won't accept any further criticism of Selby. For me, he is 'The Salt of The Earth'.