Post a reply

EXCLUSIVE: FIVE NEW TOURNAMENTS IN 2011/12

Postby Wildey

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... ts-in.html

There will be at least five new events next season according to the official schedule for the 2011/12 campaign.

It includes a new ranking tournament in Asia, another ranking event in an as yet unspecified location, an additional invitation event in China, the Brazilian Masters and a World Cup in Thailand.

There will, once again, be 12 Professional Tour Championship events and the World Open remains on the calendar, even though the BBC will not be broadcasting it.

All this adds up to a very busy year, something players have been demanding for a long time.

I worked out that, for example, the world champion will have 29 events to play in if he wants to – nine ranking tournaments, the Masters, the 12 PTCs, the PTC grand finals (if he qualifies), the Premier League, Championship League, World Cup, two Chinese invitation events and the Brazilian Masters.

The top players are moving to a position where they will start picking and choosing which tournaments to play in, a position unimaginable just a year ago.

Provisional schedule for 2011/12 season:

May 2011
June 2011

10-12 PTC1
24-26 PTC2

July 2011
29 July - 3 July China Invitational - China
5-10 July - Wuxi Classic - China
11-17 - World Cup - Thailand
22-24 - PTC3

August 2011
1-4 August - Shanghai Masters Qualifiers - Academy Sheffield
7-10 August - World Open Qualifiers - Academy Sheffield
13-15 August - PTC4
18 August - Premier League
19-21 August - PTC5
25 August - Premier League
25-28 August - PTC6 (Paul Hunter Classic) - Germany
30 August - 2 September - Qualifiers (spare slot)

September 2011
1 September - Premier League
8 September - Premier League
9-11 September - PTC7
15-18 September - Brazilian Masters - Transamerica Expo Centre, Sao Paulo, Brazil
22 September - Premier League
26 September - 2 October - Shanghai Masters - Shanghai, China

October 2011
4-9 October - World Open
13 October - Premier League
14-16 October - PTC8
20 October - Premier League
24-30 October - Ranking Event

November 2011
3 November - Premier League
4-6 November - Seniors
10 November - Premier League
11-13 November - PTC9
17 November - Premier League
18-20 November - PTC10
22-30 November - UK Championship Qualifiers
26-27 November - Premier League Finals

December 2011
3-11 December - UK Championship
14-16 December - PTC11

January 2012
3-6 January - German Masters Qualifiers - Academy Sheffield
8-15 January - The Masters
16-19 January - Spare qualifiers slot for March
16-19 January - Championship League
20-22 January - PTC12
23-26 January - Championship League
27-29 January - Sky shoot Out

February 2012
1-5 February - German Masters
7-10 February - Welsh Open qualifiers - Academy Sheffield
13-19 February - Welsh Open
21-24 February - China Open qualifiers - Academy, Sheffield
27 February - 1 March - Championship League

March 2012
2-13 March - World Championship Qualifiers - Academy Sheffield
5-8 March - Championship League
15-18 March - PTC Finals
19-22 March - Championship League
26 March - 1 April - Ranking Event

April 2012
2-8 April - China Open, Beijing China
9-12 April - Championship League
21 April - 7 May - World Championship - Crucible, Sheffield

Many Players will be retiring at the end of this season then ???
Last edited by Wildey on 10 Nov 2010, edited 2 times in total.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: FIVE NEW TOURNAMENTS IN 2011/12

Postby Casey

9 ranking events!!!!!!!! Hopefully they will be put in to plug the gap between the World Open and UK championship.
I do think now that less players will enter all of the PTC events but as long as there is more televised snooker :ahh:

Postby Alex0paul

Great news. I know the PL is a major hit with players and some fans etc but it does need to be played a lot quicker imo. At the moment it takes up a lot of weeks where there could be full ranking events because the WSA aren't going to stage any if the top players are missing. Ideally I think there could be more nights where there are three matches an evening two cut down maybe two weeks of the competition thus allowing more time for these events during this part of the season.

Postby Wildey

2001/2002 the last season there was 9 Ranking Tournaments.

and i agree with Alex you cant play ranking tournaments between the World Open and the UK the way the league is at the moment also PTC Events would have to be spread out more which is on the cards anyway.

Postby Monique

TBH players will have to pick and chose at times. The schedule Brazilian Masters - Shanghai Msters - World Open with a PL leg in the middle is rather crazy considering all cumulative time differences. And how will the finalists of the ranker ending on April 1 be able to play in China on April 2 if it comes to that, especially as China is 7 hours ahead of UK?

Postby Wildey

my Guess the Ranker Prior to the china open will be played in Asia somewhere thats how it was done in the 90s.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Long term the structure of the tour will probably change to suit the number of events.

The Jiangsu/Wuxu Classic event doesn't have all the top players so I'd say there'll be a couple missing in Brazil. Plus a lot of big name English/Scottish players won't be at the World Cup and you can miss half the PTC events, the ones who need to play in every PTC event won't have the invitationals. It's a bit weird thinking about Snooker players having to plan their calender.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Long term the structure of the tour will probably change to suit the number of events.

The Jiangsu/Wuxu Classic event doesn't have all the top players so I'd say there'll be a couple missing in Brazil. Plus a lot of big name English/Scottish players won't be at the World Cup and you can miss half the PTC events, the ones who need to play in every PTC event won't have the invitationals. It's a bit weird thinking about Snooker players having to plan their calender.

yes there will be picking and choosing PTC Events no doubt about that maybe even the point tariff for the PTC Will decline who knows but this is great news ...

Last time there was 9 Ranking Tournaments was 2001/2002.

next season there will be 9+13 PTC to choose from

Postby Witz78

BRILLIANT NEWS. THE SPORTS REVOLUTION IS WELL AND TRULY UNDERWAY.

PERHAPS BY THE TIME 2012/13 COMES ROUND WE WILL HAVE MORE FULLY BLOWN RANKERS AND THE PTC TOUR WILL HAVE DONE ITS WORK AND NO LONGER BE NEEDED.

IN THE MEANTIME PLAYERS SHOULD ENTER AND PLAY IN AS MANY TOURNAMENTS AS MANY AND QUIT THE EXCUSES, LAZINESS, MOANING. ITS NOT A JOB THEY HAVE ANYWAY, IT SHOULD BE AN HONOUR TO BE A PROFESSIONAL SPORTSMAN DOING THE THING ALL US MILLIONS OF FANS GLOBALLY WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO TRADE PLACES WITH THEM AND DO.

Postby Wildey

i think the PTC Concept is here to stay in some form but maybe in a few years it will be reduced to 10,8 or 6 events played at the best venues across England,Europe or ever further afield in conjunction with a Ranking Tournament.

for Example Play a PTC in Shanghai on friday,Saturday and Sunday then the shanghai masters starts on Monday.

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:2 things :

locations for the PTCs ..................... :chin:

and

why is the academy in Sheffield host for the qualifiers................ :chin:

** UK and World Championship qualifiers subject to format review

i think the Qualifiers for thoes 2 tournaments is under discussion.

it is only November of 2010 the calender needs to be finalized but the tournaments will be there.

Postby Steve K

Bourne wrote:No Power Snooker either ... yet

This is the professional tour with only World Snooker organised events. There will be more Power Snooker to come it just wont be in the official calendar.

Look forward to this season, hope they can do something special with the World Cup :)

Postby Wildey

Steve K wrote:

This is the professional tour with only World Snooker organised events. There will be more Power Snooker to come it just wont be in the official calendar.

Look forward to this season, hope they can do something special with the World Cup :)

im not so sure there will be more power snooker the PL and championship league arent World Snooker events and isnt covered on the World Snooker official calender unlike power snooker is <ok>

Postby Witz78

Steve K wrote:

yeh roll on the World Cup.

Might as well put all our money on Robbos Australia team to win it since he wins everything with World in the title rofl

Maybe Hann can get a reprieve and join him in the team. Hes one parakeet id welcome back to the sport with open arms. Its been too long. (Just realised as i type this that i did a Hann break off tonight at snooker rofl )

And as for the World Cup the only question is who would i support? :chin:

Def wont be my home country anyway, a team consisting of Hendry :rude: , Higgins :grrr: and Dott :zzz: yikes id rather slit my wrists than cheer on that mob.

Postby Wildey

on SS blog

Janie Watkins said...
I hear at least one PTC will go to Ireland next season

and also Barry, in a letter to players, is talking about staging some PTCs across Asian countries and maybe even one in Australia.

Get the passport and jabs up to date and start saving up for all the air fares!

Sounds like 2011-12 is going to be even more manic than this season!!

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
Steve K wrote:

im not so sure there will be more power snooker the PL and championship league arent World Snooker events and isnt covered on the World Snooker official calender unlike power snooker is <ok>

Hearns World Snooker are more open and not having their head stuck in the sand with regards to other events hence the Matchroom Sports (yes i know there Hearns events too) but if the World Series of Snooker events were still on the go then they would also get a mention too.

Postby Witz78

Just did a quick tally up and ive worked out that from 10th June 2011 to 7th May 2012......

there will be 220 days of snooker and 111 days of non-snooker. Thats some amount of action for us fans compared to what weve been used to.

But by my reckoning these pros even if they entered all events and won all events would still be putting in less hours than the average working man (and being paid far more handsomely) so theres no reason for any players to moan.

Postby Tubberlad

They'll also be more freedom to pick and choose, I'm sure. They're not machines, tennis and golf players aren't expected to sacrifice all their quality time with friends and most importantly family, snooker players will get this too.

All very positive.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:They'll also be more freedom to pick and choose, I'm sure. They're not machines, tennis and golf players aren't expected to sacrifice all their quality time with friends and most importantly family, snooker players will get this too.

All very positive.

exactly it will be entirely down to them and what they want out of life unlike many other businesses you wont get the sack for bad time keeping lol

but seriously all the governing body can do is put on tournaments Barry Hearn is doing that the cue ball is in hand now place it correctly and clear up or not.

Postby randam05

Aslong as the players play in the big tournaments and they are still televised then im happy, but it does seem awfully packed in..enough time for practice!?

And I think majors qualifiers to be held in gloucester.