Topic locked

Snooker World Cup

Postby Steve K

The 2011/2012 season sees the return of the Snooker World Cup! What teams and format would you like to see?

I think 8 teams in 2 groups would be good. Each team plays each other once and the top 2 teams in each group goes through to the semi finals. Each group match should be best of 5 and each team must use all 3 of there players in each match. Before each match the ref tosses a coin to find out which team has to nominate a player to go first which gives an advantage to the other team as they can choose a player to play against that players weaknesses.

I think each team should only have a maximum of 2 players from the top 32 to give lower ranked players a chance at an appearance on the TV.

Possible teams;

England 1 - O'Sullivan, Bingham, White
England 2 - Carter, Gould, S. Davis
Wales - Williams, Stevens, Dale
Scotland - Higgins, Campbell, McGill
Northern & RO Ireland - Allen, Doherty, O'Brien
China - Ding, Wenbo, Zhang
Thailand & Hong Kong - Fu, Wattana, Thirapaipongboon
Rest of World - Robertson, Drago, Figueiredo

What do you guys think?

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Witz78

Steve K wrote:The 2011/2012 season sees the return of the Snooker World Cup! What teams and format would you like to see?

I think 8 teams in 2 groups would be good. Each team plays each other once and the top 2 teams in each group goes through to the semi finals. Each group match should be best of 5 and each team must use all 3 of there players in each match. Before each match the ref tosses a coin to find out which team has to nominate a player to go first which gives an advantage to the other team as they can choose a player to play against that players weaknesses.

I think each team should only have a maximum of 2 players from the top 32 to give lower ranked players a chance at an appearance on the TV.

Possible teams;

What do you guys think?

Nah a Rest of the World wouldnt be any good as players wouldnt be motivated to play for a non nation.

Aussies should bring back Hann and A.N.other <cool>

Drago could be joined by Mifud and A.N.other for a Malta team

lets get a Canadian veteran dream team of Thorburn, Stevens and Robidoux involved. :bowdown:

Brecel and Haneveer could find a mate to make up their Belgium team.

Figeuerido and Itaro Santos could find A.N.other to make up their Brazilian team

A joint Irish team rofl u having a laugh???? haha theyve plenty of players to make up their own teams.

Einsle, Munsterman and A.N.other could play for Germany

Likewise the Thais dont need Fu to make up numbers.

Postby Tubberlad

England
Wales
Scotland
Republic of Ireland
Northern Ireland
Germany
Canada
Brazil
Australia
China
Thailand
Hong Kong
Belgium
Malta

Two more qualifying nations

No rest-of-world teams, no more than one team representing a county, or it all becomes something of a non-event.

Postby Wildey

the way things are going Ronnie wont be in that formation he is 3rd ranked Englishman at the moment.

i think the best format is 3 man teams but done on rankings at a certain cut off point giving players near the top the chance to push for places.

at the moment id have

England Carter,Murphy,O'Sullivan
Wales - Williams,Stevens,Day
Scotland - Maguire,Higgins,Dott
Northern Ireland - Allen, Greene,Swail
R O Ireland- Doherty,O'Brien,Judge
China - Ding, Wenbo,Song
Thailand- Wattana, Thirapaipongboon, Issara Kachaiwong

then other teams made up of pros with amateurs

but format id have would be best of 9s with doubles and singles mixed

3 frames of singles then a frame of doubles before the interval then singles and doubles alternating after the interval until someone reaches 5.

then the semis Best of 11 using same method

final best of 19

1st session 9 frames

3 Frames of Singles
2 Frames of Doubles
3 Frames of Singles
1 Frame of Doubles

2nd Session 10 Frames

Frame of Singles and Doubles alternating until someone reaches 10

Postby Tubberlad

Certainly a good idea to mix things up between singles and double, really hammering home the whole 'team' concept. <ok>

Postby Steve K

Witz78 wrote:
Steve K wrote:The 2011/2012 season sees the return of the Snooker World Cup! What teams and format would you like to see?

Possible teams;

What do you guys think?

Nah a Rest of the World wouldnt be any good as players wouldnt be motivated to play for a non nation.

Aussies should bring back Hann and A.N.other <cool>

Drago could be joined by Mifud and A.N.other for a Malta team

lets get a Canadian veteran dream team of Thorburn, Stevens and Robidoux involved. :bowdown:

Brecel and Haneveer could find a mate to make up their Belgium team.

Figeuerido and Itaro Santos could find A.N.other to make up their Brazilian team

A joint Irish team rofl u having a laugh???? haha theyve plenty of players to make up their own teams.

Einsle, Munsterman and A.N.other could play for Germany

Likewise the Thais dont need Fu to make up numbers.

Just trying to think of boosting the popularity of the sport, for their first World Cup they would want popular players from the main tour to front their teams atleast for the first event to boost ratings/ticket sales. Possibly more asian teams though as it held in Asia.

Or possibly like 2 different World Cups, one for main tour players in the main Snooker countries (my list) and a smaller event with lower ranked professionals and amateurs but with more countries.

Postby Wildey

another thing id do is appoint a non playing captain for example

England- Steve Davis
Wales- Ray Reardon
Scotland- Alan Mcmanus
Northern Ireland - Dennis Taylor
R O Ireland- Patsy Fagan

so that the players can play without the playing captain got to think who will play the following frame....you want a quick turn over not discussion after a frame as to who would play the next frame so that frames run like clock work.

Postby NedB-H

Steve K wrote:Just trying to think of boosting the popularity of the sport, for their first World Cup they would want popular players from the main tour to front their teams atleast for the first event to boost ratings/ticket sales. Possibly more asian teams though as it held in Asia.

Or possibly like 2 different World Cups, one for main tour players in the main Snooker countries (my list) and a smaller event with lower ranked professionals and amateurs but with more countries.

Nah, they'd rather see their own amateur representing them than a randomer from abroad, surely? A ROTW team would be terrible...

Best policy would probably be like golf's: the best few countries get through automatically, so probably England, Scotland, Wales, China, then possibly any of ROI, NI, Aus, Belgium or Thailand. Everywhere else goes through a qualifier, which would include places with tour pros like Germany or Malta, and places where the game's just taking off like the Czech Republic. Would be a great chance for "developing" countries to mix it with the big boys.

Postby Steve K

Just dont think that the viewers will be initially intrested in watching people they have never heard of, unless the matches are quick and keep the general publics attention somehow.

On a different note thinking about the Football World Cup, it doesnt matter if the teams are inbalanced skill wise because in Football, you usually expect only 4-5 teams to win it anyway.

Postby randam05

Possible teams;

What do you guys think?

I think no to o sullivan and carter but yes to selby and murphy.

Postby Tubberlad

I don't think it would be any harm to have a few weaker countries competing, it spreads the profile of the game, and once you get the top names from the top nations, this could be a cracking event.

As far as I'm concerned, somewhere between 12 and 16 competing nations is viable, and would be altogether more appealing that just the few stronger ones.

Postby Tubberlad

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:another thing id do is appoint a non playing captain for example

England- Steve Davis
Wales- Ray Reardon
Scotland- Alan Mcmanus
Northern Ireland - Dennis Taylor
R O Ireland- Patsy Fagan

so that the players can play without the playing captain got to think who will play the following frame....you want a quick turn over not discussion after a frame as to who would play the next frame so that frames run like clock work.

I don't think that's a bad idea at all <ok> I also think these captains should get to pick WHOEVER they want on their team, regardless of their ranking :santa:

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:I don't think it would be any harm to have a few weaker countries competing, it spreads the profile of the game, and once you get the top names from the top nations, this could be a cracking event.

As far as I'm concerned, somewhere between 12 and 16 competing nations is viable, and would be altogether more appealing that just the few stronger ones.

totally agree theres no reason at all to not have teams of unknown nations

snooker is a sport thats growing worldwide but places on tour is limited but in this competition they can show what they can do.

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:Zhanger will captain China otherwise I will not watch. :idea: :santa: :idea: :santa:

Why do you retire from Snooker Island, and dedicate yourself to a full time Zhanger Fan Site? <laugh>
Last edited by SnookerFan on 06 Jan 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Zhanger will captain China otherwise I will not watch. :idea: :santa: :idea: :santa:

Why do you retire from Snooker Island, and dedicate yourself to a full time Zhanger Fan Site. <laugh>

:idea: Great idea...................bye :wave:

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 53,00.html

We hope to make a formal announcement on this shortly

The provisional format includes 20 two-man teams from around the world and we expect to release full details in the coming weeks. At this stage the criteria for selecting players has not been finalised.

To stage a World Cup would be tremendously exciting for snooker and we are delighted to be working towards this alongside our colleagues in Thailand.

Postby GJ

no aussie pro player to partner robbo i may enquire and enter this <cool> :ahh:

Postby Tubberlad

Is there a proposed handicap system like that used at the darts equivalent?

Postby Monique

From what had been annouced before the teams will be 2-men and going by ranking.
So England should be Selby+ Carter or Murphy. I'm almost certain ROS will be relieved more than anything not to be part of it...
Scotland Higgins+Maguire
Wales William+ Day or Stevens
NI: Allen + Swail?

Belgium : Hanneveer+ Brecel
Malta: Drago + Borg
Australia: Robertson+ Calabrese?
Germany: Munsterman + Lippe? (Einsle?)
Brazil: Figuereido + Itaro Santos
Thailand: Wattana + TT?
China: Ding + Liang
Hong-Kong: Fu + ?

other possible nations
India, Pakistan, Israel (Sahar Ruberg, David Vaizman), Cyprus (Anthony Brabin, George Louca), Iceland (Tryggvi Erlingsson + Kristian Helgason), Netherlands (Roy Stolk + Maurice Le Duc)

Postby Wildey

im not sure of only 2 men teams ??

Postby GJ

stuff vinne c im the man
Last edited by GJ on 22 Feb 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:im not sure of only 2 men teams ??

That's what has been said before by WSA.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:im not sure of only 2 men teams ??

That's what has been said before by WSA.

yes thats the thinking i just think a 3 man team would be better.

Postby Tubberlad

There should be no combined Ireland/Northern Ireland team, and no rest of world team

Postby Tubberlad

Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland, Germany, Malta, Belgium, Thailand, China, Hong Kong, Australia, Brazil...