Post a reply

THE BIG INTERVIEW: NEIL ROBERTSON

Postby Wildey

(PART ONE)

It’s not just what you see at the Crucible that’s important, not just the endless frames, the drama, the close finishes, the key balls potted. It’s also what you don’t see: the long hours in the hotel or dressing room, staring into the mirror, racked with self doubt, telling yourself not to blow it, not to squander this chance that comes by but once a year. The chance to be the best in the world.

Snooker’s biggest event lasts 17 days so there’s plenty of time for a mental implosion or two. The matches are split into sessions and can span several days. Sleep is in short supply. Worry hangs heavy in the air.

But Neil Robertson is made of stern stuff, Aussie steel, an inbuilt belief in his own abilities. Competitive he may be in the arena, possessed of that trademark Australian grit, but off table he is as laidback as they come, so much so that to chat to him is like chewing the fat with a mate, not talking to a world champion, a world no.1.

He isn’t starry and he isn’t conceited. He’s just Neil, the guy from Melbourne who came to try his luck at snooker and ended up the best in the world.

He doesn't do anxiety and this relaxed persona means that nerves do not affect him as badly as some. It showed last season at the venue that really counts.

He trailed Martin Gould 11-5 heading into the final session of their second round match. It looked as if his World Championship title bid was over, a defeat as heavy as it was unexpected.

But Robertson’s glass is half full. Scrap that: he refuses to believe it isn’t overflowing. He felt he still had a chance and did it, won 13-12 and nine days later beat Graeme Dott 18-13 to become world champion.

It’s an attitude you can’t teach. You’re either made that way or you’re not.

“My dad’s very laidback and I guess I take after him,” Robertson told me.

“In fact my girlfriend thinks I’m too laidback and hates it sometimes. She can’t understand how I can stay relaxed all the time and it almost annoys her that I don’t get annoyed by certain things.

“Someone could be really rude to me, where other people would want to say something back, but I’m, like, ‘who cares?’ I’ve always been like that. I’m not one for fights and even admit I’m wrong when I’m not just to avoid confrontation. I think all that’s a waste of time.

“I think it helps with dealing with pressure in the game. Some players mutter things under their breath, particularly in the PTCs where there’s no TV. They’ll go into the pack off the blue and not land on a red and you’ll hear them say, ‘that’s typical of my luck.’ I’ll just get on with it. Just play the balls where they are. You can’t complain about being unlucky or getting a kick. It’s part of the game, just as in football you’ll get decisions going your way sometimes and at other times they won’t. You just have to accept it.”

More Here

Re: THE BIG INTERVIEW: NEIL ROBERTSON

Postby Roland

Good quotes there. Firstly he doesn't mention about a one day World Final and backs up my point to Monique that the Crucible isn't about pretty snooker, it's about blood and guts and it's the best snooker to watch when you get involved in the action.

Also he is obviously aware that he's got to World Number One and World Champion without having to face Selby who has to be his main rival outside of Higgins and O'Sullivan. I wonder if he reads the Island, because I've said he has had better draws than Selby which is why he is where he is and Selby is the nearly man over the last 2 or 3 seasons. No disrespect to Robbo, he's a quality player and a deserving World Champion and you can only beat who is put in front of you, but I don't believe he's the best player in the world at the moment.

Postby Roland

Controversial but hey, I say it how I see it. Robertson is not a better snooker player than Selby.

*waits for backlash*

Postby Monique

No he's not "better" but he is more consistent and that's why he's won more.
As what is the best snooker to watch ... well that's a matter of personal preference. I don't like tired snooker and never will, just as I don't like to see sportmen in agony in any sport. Just not my thing at all.

Postby Bourne

I rate Selby highly but I wish he'd prove to us how good he is a bit more than he is, it's just sporadic drips and drops at the minute, has he really progressed as much since 2007 as he should have ? Loads of players have one big tournament every season, so I duno why Selby deserves that accolade of best player without proving it to us more often. I'd back Robbo 9/10 against him nowadays.

Postby GJ

if selby isnt careful he will be more about hype than substance soon

;)

Postby Sickpotter

Actually I think Selby has a better all round game than Robertson.

IMO if Selby and Roberston meet with both on their games I'd give the edge to Selby, something like 60-40.

Robertson runs into trouble if his potting goes. Selby is also a tremendous shot maker and has a safety game that still allows him to be a tough match player when his potting isn't at it's best.

Postby Bourne

Robbo's safety game definitely up there with the best now, come on enormously over the last 2 or 3 years.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Robbo's safety game definitely up there with the best now, come on enormously over the last 2 or 3 years.

mate some people are blinded they have and will remain to see robbo as just a long potter

its what you call a sterotype

;)

Postby sundaygirl

Robertson circa 2007 better than Selby, no.
I use to find Robertson one dimensional and I did not think him a potential World Champion.

The new improved Robbo better than Selby, most definitely
His tactical ability lagged way behind his potting talent. I think this is due being in Australia, British players have the advantage of watching hours and hours of televised and live snooker while growing up. Neil had some catching up to do when he arrived here.

Postby Roland

Well we'll see over the next few years if they contest a few semis and finals which they should do. Once they've played each other about 10 times then we'll be able to judge. I'm backing Selby to have the better head to head record. I'm not disrespecting Robbo in any way, I think he's a fantastic player and consistencywise deserves his ranking at the moment. It just grates me a bit when he's referred to as the "best player in the world" because someone out there is better. In my opinion.

Postby Wildey

I Think Selby is a more rounded player but Neil Robertson has the will to win selby might be lacking at the moment.

Consistently Robertson wins Tournaments between october 2009 and october 2010 hes won 3 Ranking Tournaments that includes the WC...i can name only 5 other players on tour thats done that.

The Rankings is not Lying on this Robertson is the Best Player in the World at the Moment.

Postby Smart

Why is Selby so inconsistent. :chin:

When asked about the Selby vs ROS match-up he even said something like "yeah, ROS can do pretty much anything and me well I am hot and cold, so its a good match up that people like".

I see Selby as a modern day Davis, but just not consistent enough.............

Postby Roland

Well he's got his best years ahead of him still. I expect his peak years to be 28-35 just because of his style of game - like a fine wine it seems to get better with age and no one can deny recently when he's been beaten the player who won hasn't played better. Robbo too will be one of the prominent players of this decade as will Ding and Murphy and some others just breaking through but they aren't consistency machines themselves.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:but I don't believe he's the best player in the world at the moment.

I believe he is right now, but I just question if he can maintain that. I don't think Selby is delivering enough to call him the best, but I do expect him to change that (though all this waiting can be frustrating). Ronnie is too hot and cold right now. Murphy is frighteningly inconsistent, while Ding is another man struggling to put together a consistent run.

Right now, Robertson is the man who's doing it, he's proving himself beyond doubt (which Selby, as of yet, hasn't managed), he's the World Champion, the World Number One, and is playing the best snooker on a consistent basis.

We'll wait and see with him, but at the moment, he's the only man who's really cutting the mustard.

Postby Wildey

Talk is Cheap

Selby
Trump
Higgins

its very easy for us to say what we believe they should be winning when they be winning and how successfully they will become from this day forward but only one thing any player can do is get out there and prove it on the table.

those 3 and many more has everything to prove to reach where Neil Robertson has reached over the last 12 months.

im a massive fan of selby but there's 2 many times over the last year or so where hes looked a world beater and not converted that to trophies.

whatever you say about Robbo he has a good conversion Rate.

Postby Wildey

and lets not overlooked one small fact here

since he lost to John Higgins in may 2007 in the World Final Mark Selby has played in 22 Ranking Tournaments and reached only 1 Final.

that needs to improve to give him a chance of winning tournaments consistently.

Postby Bourne

Exactly and we can't keep saying 'oh he had bad draws' blah blah, well not every time he didn't. In that time, Robbo has won 4 titles including the biggie and he's had to put up with bad draws too, so a bit of perspective.

Postby Roland

When did Robbo have bad draws or people playing out of their skin to beat him? Anyway I'm dropping it now because I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting him because he's a great player. I can't wait for some Robbo v Selby clashes in big tournaments.

Postby randam05

Selby said it himself, he keeps running into players on form..when he played barry hawkins at the world open barry hawkins was playing the best he ever has on tv..

When i watched him in the ptc it was wierd, he seemed to be playing well but again his opponent, hamilton was playing extremeley good snooker, it wasnt that selby was playing bad..he had a century.

So I think this season it will change a little and he will win the UK.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:When did Robbo have bad draws or people playing out of their skin to beat him? Anyway I'm dropping it now because I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting him because he's a great player. I can't wait for some Robbo v Selby clashes in big tournaments.

to win a tournament you got to beat the player that beat the player that beat x player thats why you win tournaments.

if you concerned about draws he is obviously not the Best Player or even close to be the best player YET.

Postby Wildey

(PART TWO)

Last season’s World Championship final ceased to be a snooker match around the time it became clear that the two players slaving in the heat of the Crucible cauldron were physically and emotionally spent.

The wisdom of an 8pm start for the final session, following a 3pm start in the afternoon, was soon questioned when it became apparent that Neil Robertson and Graeme Dott could barely stand up, never mind pot balls.

But Robertson was the fresher of the two. Perhaps the extra grit came from the fact that he was chasing a maiden world title. Whatever, he was determined to win by any means possible.

“It wasn’t just 8pm. The problem was that the afternoon session started at 3pm and it was too late. I couldn’t understand that. Had they brought it forward it would have been a better match on the eye,” Robertson told this blog.

“I was very attacking against Ali Carter in the semi-finals, thought I played really well, and I was prepared to be like that again against Graeme in the final.

“But I could sense Graeme was getting tired and I thought, well, I can scrap this out if I have to. I realised he would get more tired than me.

“So I kind of let it get scrappy rather than forcing an open game. I knew I had more in the tank than him and that the longer it went on, the more he would struggle.

“The schedule lent the final to one of us winning by draining the other guy, which wasn’t my intention at the start of the match.

“My dad said he was proudest of me for outlasting Graeme, one of the strongest players there is mentally, in the fight.”

MORE HERE

Postby Monique

A few things in this interview really pleased me.
Neil made it clear that the WC schedule for the final is not right. The players are dead on their feet and it would be better if that could be addressed. He also hints at the fact that Graeme who got the late evening semi was even more tired and that's what he took advantage of. Now do any of you seriously think that determining the world champion should come to who got the luck of the draw and doesn't finish his semis around midnight before the final? Is that fair? Will that yield the correct winner?
I'm not saying that Robbo didn't deserve his title and hats off to him for being so honest, but clearly something should be done to give both finalists (more of) equal chances.
Also he says he will not go to Hamm. His reasons are: he needs te with his family, it's too much traveling too often and it's didrutptive to his preparation for UK. Ali is withdrawing also for similar reasons. This perfectly illustrates what I was writing yesterday: PTCs are great for young lads like McGill but when players get older, have a family, find themselves in a different place in life their priorities change, quite normally. They should be given the opportunity to manage their carreers and their private lifes adequately. I'm sure it would be a win/win game for them and for their sport and it's fans.

Postby Wildey

he has more concerns regarding the Afternoon session rather than the night session i think 2pm and 7pm start is better but also make it a 10 frame session instead of the 11 it is now so you start 7pm on 13-12,14-11 or 15-10

Postby Tubberlad

Monique, family is without doubt more important than snooker, but let's remember, you're under no obligation to play any of these tournaments. Okay, well six is the minimum if you want a finals place, but let's be honest, that isn't a huge ask? Six four day events? I certainly don't feel sorry for them, they're living out a dream of theirs, and have it pretty cushy in comparison to most.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Monique, family is without doubt more important than snooker, but let's remember, you're under no obligation to play any of these tournaments. Okay, well six is the minimum if you want a finals place, but let's be honest, that isn't a huge ask? Six four day events? I certainly don't feel sorry for them, they're living out a dream of theirs, and have it pretty cushy in comparison to most.

Family is the no 1 priority for the Prime Minister or to a Surgeon but they have a job to do atleast Snooker Players got a choice to play or not if a surgeon doesn't turn up chances is someone will die.