Topic locked

Re: Wyldecrest Park Homes World Seniors Championship !!!!

Postby Roland

White is the only player who is always begging for a Masters wildcard around this time of year so maybe that's why he gets noticed. You can't fault him for trying. His performance last year should surely put paid to any wildcard this time though.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:White is the only player who is always begging for a Masters wildcard around this time of year so maybe that's why he gets noticed. You can't fault him for trying. His performance last year should surely put paid to any wildcard this time though.

Sure Hearn said it would his last, nice for the fans. It doesn't look good though when he continues the begging? There are much better, younger candidates that performed in the PTC series that deserve a shout.

Anyway, won't be one by the looks of it.

Postby Wildey

ive said this before and ill say it again Wild cards should be used to increase the profile of young players so they get the chance to get the fan base jimmy has.

constantly giving wild cards to past it players does nothing for the sport.

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:ive said this before and ill say it again Wild cards should be used to increase the profile of young players so they get the chance to get the fan base jimmy has.

what young players would you suggest then? :chin:

to be honest the way i see it the term Wild in Wildcard should be exactly that, something a bit unpredictable.

Personally id have 4 wildcards, Jimmy and Steve should almost be compulsary ones given their legendary status and fanbase plus recent form. Id give one to a young rising star, Trump probably and then the other one would be a really wild choice, perhaps Figuerido or Brecel <ok>

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:ive said this before and ill say it again Wild cards should be used to increase the profile of young players so they get the chance to get the fan base jimmy has.

to be honest the way i see it the term Wild in Wildcard should be exactly that, something a bit unpredictable.

Personally id have 4 wildcards, Jimmy and Steve should almost be compulsary ones given their legendary status and fanbase plus recent form. Id give one to a young rising star, Trump probably and then the other one would be a really wild choice, perhaps Figuerido or Brecel <ok>

What do you make of White begging for one though? A bit desperate is it not? Also where does the Wildcard’s for legends stop? If Hendry continues outside the top 16 along with Steve and Jimmy would he get one? Then what about Mark Williams, Higgins and O’sullivan? The younger players need more exposure to get a fan base for when they qualify for tournaments.

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

What do you make of White begging for one though? A bit desperate is it not? Also where does the Wildcard’s for legends stop? If Hendry continues outside the top 16 along with Steve and Jimmy would he get one? Then what about Mark Williams, Higgins and O’sullivan? The younger players need more exposure to get a fan base for when they qualify for tournaments.

So we give all 46 young players on the tour a wildcard to the Masters rofl

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

Jimmy and Steve can go and buck themselves their careers is over. Get in top 16 or get lost.

Theres Plenty of young players but while Has beens gets wild cards they cant get noticed.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

It would be nice if there where 46 young players :redneck:
Jack Lebowski (spelling) who won a PTC event?

Or they could have an under 21 qualifying tournament, no prize money, just with the winner getting their place at the Masters.

Hearn needs to learn from past mistakes and realise their will be void when the likes of Ronnie, Higgins and Hendry drop ou of the 16. They need replaced with young faces people regognise and identify with.

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Jimmy and Steve can go and buck themselves their careers is over. Get in top 16 or get lost.

Theres Plenty of young players but while Has beens gets wild cards they cant get noticed.

Get in top 16 or get lost....... :chin:

hmm, i didnt have you down as being an elitist Wild rofl U gonna be pressing Hearn to get the tour reduced anytime soon then? <cool>

If its get lost if you aint top 16 then all these young players will have to go too.

Just cos White and Davis have been around for a while and have past their peaks, why should this mean they should get lost. For starters there careers most definetly aint over as there both still proving. :D

Anyway, you never did answer my question. What young players would you give these wildcards to?

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

It would be nice if there where 46 young players :redneck:
Jack Lebowski (spelling) who won a PTC event?

Or they could have an under 21 qualifying tournament, no prize money, just with the winner getting their place at the Masters.

Hearn needs to learn from past mistakes and realise their will be void when the likes of Ronnie, Higgins and Hendry drop ou of the 16. They need replaced with young faces people regognise and identify with.

SPOT ON <ok>

or Jimmy will be there with 2 carers and a bloody Zimmerframe at this rate <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Witz its doing nothing for the sport we should put them to bed while they still around and pass on the batten to other players i just dont think young players has the opertunities the likes of Hendry,White and Ronnie had in the game.

Ronnie was always Getting Wild Cards at a young age but now its reverted to Giving Wild Cards to older Players.

Postby Bourne

Thing is I don't see how it can be in Jimmy's benefit to get a wildcard if he's just going to lose easily again ... I think we'd all be delighted if he earnt his spot with a stunning win at the UK or whatever, but that's not gona happen in all likelihood. He's just going to to take another two steps backwards with another wildcard :huh2:

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:Witz its doing nothing for the sport we should put them to bed while they still around and pass on the batten to other players i just dont think young players has the opertunities the likes of Hendry,White and Ronnie had in the game.

Ronnie was always Getting Wild Cards at a young age but now its reverted to Giving Wild Cards to older Players.

mate ive made it more than clear over the years that im all for the young talent rising up the rankings and the game being ridded of the journeymen and the never has beens who dont contribute anything to snooker.

The likes of White and Davis are exceptions to the rule though and theres still huge public demand for these guys ahead of most of the others.

The suggestion of an under 21 tournament to find a wildcard is a great idea and i feel that this, along with in future offering the World Seniors champion a wildcard would be a fair mix of youth and experience getting into the Masters. The non under 21s and non seniors are in the so called peak age group and only deserve to be there if they are in the top 16. <ok>

as for the scenario that a UK winner might be someone whos outwith the top 16 and would need a wildcard, i cant really understand to be honest why the cut off for the Masters had to be the same time as the last cut off. The UK would have had so much more riding on it if the seedings for the Masters was based on the post UK rankings.

Likewise someone could have a great China Open but already have missed out on qualifying for the Worlds. Ultimately we need a fully fledged rolling ranking system that is 100% representative of the formbook over the last 2 years only. :no:

Postby Wildey

nobody is a exception to the rule either we move on and look to the future or we stay still like we have been doing for donkeys.

they had their time in the spotlight now if they good enough to get there on merit then fair enough but at 40+ i do not expect a governing body to waste their time and the sport promoting has beans.

Postby Eirebilly

I am a massive fan of Jimmy's, always have been but i do find this beging for a wildcard a bit cringworthy. To play devils advocate here, i do understand the reasoning why Jimmy does receive wildcards. He still is arguably one of the biggest drawcards in snooker and Jimmy at an event means bums on seats.

I am all for young talent getting the wildcards ahead of Jimmy but at the same time, will the crowds flock to see them? Surely having Jimmy at an event brings more fans and those fans get introduced to young talent whilst playing a legend like Jimmy?

Postby SnookerFan

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:and BTW that goes for Hendry as well no wild cards unless they EARN it Properly ie get in top 16

If they get into the top 16, they have already qualified for The Masters. In what sense are they then a wildcard?

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:I am a massive fan of Jimmy's, always have been but i do find this beging for a wildcard a bit cringworthy. To play devils advocate here, i do understand the reasoning why Jimmy does receive wildcards. He still is arguably one of the biggest drawcards in snooker and Jimmy at an event means bums on seats.

I am all for young talent getting the wildcards ahead of Jimmy but at the same time, will the crowds flock to see them? Surely having Jimmy at an event brings more fans and those fans get introduced to young talent whilst playing a legend like Jimmy?

No by jimmy being there younger players not there.

When Jimmy and Alex was at the Top they used them at that stage to introduce us to Hendry,Ronnie,Higgins,Williams.

at the moment they are playing in the PTC Which the general public cant see so why not give them a taste of the Big Time.

Martin Gould he is a exciting player he needs Wild Cards to get on Big Stage at the Expense of Jimmy.

Everyone are unknown when they start they get Known by being Pushed to the for front of peoples minds.

Postby Roland

This is the quietest week this season though in terms of forum activity. There is nothing to talk about. We need more snooker! And yes I would give Martin Gould a wildcard to the Masters and Liang Wenbo as well if he puts up a good show in the UK (he has a case because under the old system he would've been in, Jimmy stole his card last year, and he's hardly played this season and when he has he's had a few results).