Post a reply

"I know I'm playing well" - Mark Selby

Postby Roland

Mark Selby wrote:The defeat to Ken wasn’t ideal, and it certainly didn’t go according to plan. That’s two ranking tournaments and two first-round defeats now – you would think the alarm bells are ringing, especially as my provisional ranking has dropped to 15, but they’re not, I know I’m playing well.

I’ve been practising hard, there’s no doubt about that, and I’ve gone into my matches with a positive frame of mind. The one thing you can’t account for is the run of the balls, and they haven’t being going my way, especially against Ken. With a little bit of luck going in my favour in that match, and the result could have been different. Of course, it’s all ifs, buts and maybes, but I believe I am playing well.

Losing matches like that does knock your confidence, and it’s a shame I have to wait two months for the UK Championship, the next ranking tournament. That tournament, with the longer matches, will suit my game, and I know that one good win there could be all I need to turn around my season.

from http://www.markselby.info/blog.html

He was definitely not getting the rub of the green in the Doherty match for sure. The way he started the match he looked invincible but fate conspired to stop him in his tracks early on as if to give him a thump and say "try playing like that now".

He's got a very tough draw in the UK but if he can come through it to take the title then watch out world.

Re: "I know I'm playing well" - Mark Selby

Postby MED

yes sonny but how often have we herd players say that turn up for a match and fails.

Stephen Hendry is the latest in a long line of former greats that say they playing well in practice. but who cares about practice the secret is turning a poor performance in to a result and build up confidence like that.

its all very well and good saying he was unlucky against Doherty but these run of poor Results has spread back to that Mark King reversal at the World Championship. he has not been the same player since that.

ok he Reached the Masters Final and the League Final but apart from that considering the consistency he had for the 2007/2008 season its been very poor for the last 18 months.

Postby Roland

That may be your take on it but I'm 100% with Selby on this one. He has no need to panic, when it comes to crunch time only Higgins and O'Sullivan have what it takes to beat him so currently he's the most false provisional world number 15 in history.

Postby MED

don't get me wrong im also very much with selby.and the future looks bright but he cant afford to have a bad UK, confidence or losing confidence and feeling the pressure to turn it round spreads like wildfire. so sooner he corrects it and gets back on winning ways the better in my opinion.

look how low he is in the Rankings the frightening thing is because of point allocation this season the drop is harder if you lose your first match and he could be mid 20s easy if he lost to either cope or doherty first match in telford.

Postby Roland

There's no way he'll ever lose to Doherty again in his life so I'm sure he would prefer him to Cope. But I expect the Shotgun to prevail against Doherty, and then we can have the Crucible quarter-final we would've had had Jamie had a chance in one of the last 3 frames of his match against Higgins. I fancy Selby to win that battle. In fact I fancy him to do the O'Sullivan and Higgins back-to-back double afterwards but one match at a time.

I bet no one else can use the same word 3 times out of 4 and get away with it <cool>

Postby MED

Seifer island hatah wrote:People who are writing Selby off, know nothing about this game.

only fools would write Selby off but we can say that on forums for ever but he has to go out and prove how good or even great he is and make the doubters eat theire words.

sonny said that Selby is the most false world no 15 provisionally ever but i could also say Doherty is the most false world number 44 ever.

Results don't lie now he has to go out there and turn it around or we could be saying Selby is the most false official world number 30 at the end of the season.that is the reality of players who cant win matches.

Postby Seifer Almasy

results do lie when we have just 6 ranking events.

It was only january that he was in the final of the masters. I think you read way too much into results...there haven't been enough tournaments to get any clear trend. Selby is a class act and he will be back.

Postby Wildey

is trend the word of the week ?

unbelievable

its the same for all players so using your logic having Ronnie at the top of the one year list is a total lie ?

selby would be where he is now if we had 8,9 or 10 tournaments because if you lose first match in the first two tournaments you lose first match in the first two tournaments doesn't matter you will still feel the pressure to turn it round.

i think he can turn it around.

i had problems finding words to reply to your posts they just off the wall..

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Seifer island hatah wrote:results do lie when we have just 6 ranking events.

It was only january that he was in the final of the masters. I think you read way too much into results...there haven't been enough tournaments to get any clear trend. Selby is a class act and he will be back.

Hold on, I'm going to use your quote this time, apologies. "results do lie when we have just 6 ranking events."

How do they lie, its real, you mean on average Seifer? Softly John, averages this season is 6 ranking events, thats what it IS <boldunderlinedISemoticon> <goes here>.

Lets deal with what is in front of us, & not what could be in front of us, & work from there. <ok>

I like that above quote, "Lets deal with what is in front of us, & not what could be, & work from there <ok> ." Love that, <laugh>

Postby Seifer Almasy

Well John, it is simple. If there were 30 ranking events and selby hadnt got anywhere in any of them, then yes, it would be seen as significant, but he has made the final of the masters, which was less than 6 tournaments ago... 1 in 6 is not proof of any kind of decline...

If he hasn't done anything the whole of this season then there is an argument that he may be having a bad time...if he did it again for a next season (20 odd tournaments), then yes, I would agree that there is a problem.

But not 1 final in 6 events (I don't think it even is 6 yet)

Look at Selby record vs others: He is 24th on the winners list and is only 26. He has another 7 years in his prime to prove he is even better.

Postby Seifer Almasy

Not Significant: 1 final in 6 tournaments
Reasonably Significant: 0 final in 10 tournaments.
Very Significant: 1 final in 20 tournaments

Not Significant: 1 final in 3 majors (Currently)
Reasonably Significant: 1 final in 10 majors
Very Significant: 1 final in 20 majors.

Ronnie didn't wina rank event for over a season once if I remember.....and I also remember Moondan saying O'Sullivan was finished before the 2008 world champs.

It is easy to sit here and say Selby is doing bad. He isn't. Snooker is.

Major competition should be used as the benchmark. Worlds, masters, UK.

He reached Final of Masters, he was kicked out by 1 frame at the worlds against eventual champion. UK Next

I really don't understand how ANYONE can say he is having a bad time.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Seifer island hatah wrote:Not Significant: 1 final in 6 tournaments

Ronnie didn't wina rank event for over a season once if I remember.....and I also remember Moondan saying O'Sullivan was finished before the 2008 world champs.

He reached Final of Masters, he was kicked out by 1 frame at the worlds against eventual champion. UK Next

Mark Selby IS a threat against any player. That's how it currently is. <ok>

Postby Seifer Almasy

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
Seifer island hatah wrote:Not Significant: 1 final in 6 tournaments

Mark Selby IS a threat against any player. That's how it currently is. <ok>

yes he is.

Postby Wildey

lets turn this arguament on its head.

when theres 20 tournaments being succesfull is easier than 6 tournaments therefore its harder to be a success with less tournaments meaning more pressure to perform.

therefore although there are instancess that players gets lucky in some matches the bottom line is the best players rise to the top with less tournaments because they can handle the pressure better of not having many more chances to perform in.

this season will tell us a hell of a lot about Mark Selby and his pressure play and performances.

Postby Roland

Well so far it's told us naff all apart from best of 9's are too short to draw any conclusions, and losing 2 matches since April due to lack of match sharpness and practice in one and bad luck in the other has some people who don't realise exactly how good Mr Selby really is shouting from the roof tops that his career is in jeopardy.

Nothing could be further from the truth. He is my tip to be the first world number 1 after Higgins and O'Sullivan come back to the pack.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Well so far it's told us naff all apart from best of 9's are too short to draw any conclusions, and losing 2 matches since April due to lack of match sharpness and practice in one and bad luck in the other has some people who don't realise exactly how good Mr Selby really is shouting from the roof tops that his career is in jeopardy.

Nothing could be further from the truth. He is my tip to be the first world number 1 after Higgins and O'Sullivan come back to the pack.

its always been best of 5s mate Remember Steve Davis was rank no 1 in the 80s for 6 years out of 8 with no more than 6 Ranking tournaments and for one year there was only 3 and for another only 4.

so we been here before. you just got to get on with it and a turn round here would show just how great Selby is.

Postby Roland

It wouldn't even be a turnaround though, that's the point. Two piddly little first round matches and suddenly he's peaked and on the way down! Rubbish! Take a look at the most recent majors:

2009 Worlds - loses 13-12 to Higgins in one of the best matches of all time
2009 Masters - loses 10-8 to O'Sullivan in another all time classic major final. In the previous round he made Higgins look ordinary
2008 UK - lost in round 1 to Mark Williams playing close to his old self. Absolutely no shame in that, worst draw of round 1 for any top 16 player and he's out
2008 Worlds - That match v King (less said about that the better)
2008 Masters - winner
2007 UK - loses to O'Sullivan in yet another all time classic match, this time 9-8 in the semi-final with Ronnie knocking in a 147 in the deciding frame
2007 Worlds - runner up

Those are the facts.

Postby Seifer Almasy

Best of 9's do not show up talent as well as the majors do. If Selby hasnt reached a final in 9 majors, then you may have an argument, but so far ir is 1 in 3.

Postby Roland

And he wasn't even playing in the Masters in 2007 so it's 3 out of 8 finals in the majors.

Anyway, it's about time he won another tournament and the UK is exactly the sort of title he needs so fingers crossed for December.

Postby Wildey

doesn't matter if you lose every player loses matches if the other player plays well.

you got to be consistant under every cercanstance to be regarded the best...

don't go on about whats been that has past Selby played well in the WC against Higgins and Masters against Ronnie but against Williams in the UK He had plenty of chances and he gave that match on a plate to Williams. Selby has got to turn it around if he does well in the UK he will rocket up the rankings and close to securing his top 16 spot if he dont he could be toast thats the cut throat world of Snooker. the best swim the weak sink.

theres different arguments on the net for different things thats the same some say the Rankings protect top players(not seen any evidence lately with Doherty,Dott,Williams and now Selby)..you making a point they don't protect enough.

Postby Casey

Seifer island hatah wrote:Best of 9's do not show up talent as well as the majors do. If Selby hasn't reached a final in 9 majors, then you may have an argument, but so far ir is 1 in 3.

So it would take him not reaching a major final for 3 years for you to say he was in trouble? If he loses his first round match at the UK he will be in trouble, out of the provisional 16 with 3 events left, two of which are best of 9's. He hasn't reached a ranking semi since the 2008 china Open, yes he reached the Masters final but so did Stephen lee the year before.
On the other side of the coin he could win the UK, its a massive event that will define his season.

Postby Seifer Almasy

Sonny wrote:And he wasn't even playing in the Masters in 2007 so it's 3 out of 8 finals in the majors.

Anyway, it's about time he won another tournament and the UK is exactly the sort of title he needs so fingers crossed for December.

problem with UK is he has been handed a disaster draw....ni doubt if he gets kicked out it will be "OMG SELBY IS IN DANGER"

rofl

Postby Wildey

Seifer island hatah wrote:
Sonny wrote:And he wasn't even playing in the Masters in 2007 so it's 3 out of 8 finals in the majors.

problem with UK is he has been handed a disaster draw....ni doubt if he gets kicked out it will be "OMG SELBY IS IN DANGER"

rofl

if he gets knocked out he will be in danger you trying to say he wont be...

personally i think he will beat cope or doherty and avoid instant disaster and then anything is possible because when all said and done Mark Selby is quality.