Post a reply

Reanne Evans

Postby Wildey

During The EPTC at Gloucester i noticed Reanne Evans playing Quite a few shots Left Handed as a Right Handed Player.

She Even played 1 shot Left handed when a Right Handed Shot could be described as Easier yes she potted it because it was a easy enough pot but suerly at this stage in her carrear putting so much time in to playing with her left hand is hindering her.

how can she get consistency in play if she changes hands surely she should be encouraged to concentrate on the basics to get up the rankings then if she manages that start being flash.

what do you think ?

i just want her to get better because i think she has it in her but my opinion she is confusing herself with alignment etc

Re: Reanne Evans

Postby weewelshwitch

Reanne is a natural left handed and it's not something she has to think about. As a child she used her left hand a lot but family made her use her right hand so basically she's ambidextrous now.

Postby Wildey

fair Point if she is but this is Professional Sport Here and i do not Believe no matter how Talented she is it helps her with lining up shots consistently and it helps her Brain get muddled up....

I Just Believe at the stage she is now in her career its not helping her get better against better players.

it would be interesting to get sickpotter's view on this.

this is only my opinion.

She did not play great against Carter but she has a Good cue Action and has the talent so why isnt she winning matches i might be over Anallising why that is but it could be because of this.

Postby Smart

weewelshwitch wrote:Reanne is a natural left handed and it's not something she has to think about. As a child she used her left hand a lot but family made her use her right hand so basically she's ambidextrous now.

weewelshwitch <cool>

wild :fart:

Postby markj147

I don't see a problem with it and she has knocked in 100 breaks left handed - according to her - I did mention this at the East Anglian event on the weekend and she confirmed Janies comments that it is natural for her to play left and right handed. In fact if she stopped to think about playing a left handed shot right handed then that may impact more on the result of the shot.

I understand what Wild is saying though and his concern for her.

She did play the World number 2 so lots of factors in that result. I just think this year being the first is a tough year regardless of whether you are male or female. It is more difficult because of the fact that she is female and under constant scrutiny and raised expectation.

What she did say though is that she is enhoying every moment of being a professional snooker player. She hasn;t played so much snooker and is all over the place. Enjoyment is a start. perhaps some results in her favour will start to come through. Fingers crossed. :)

Postby Wildey

shes not won a match theres a reason for that lets use some common sense and try and help her finds a reason and stop bullshitting about what she can and cant do.

Postby Wildey

if she couldn't play this game to a high Level she wouldnt be where she is in the womans game its 2 easy to use the excuse shes a Woman Yes she is a Woman but a incredably talented women well up there with male players at that end of the Rankings but shes the only Player to not Win a Match this season apart from John Higgins Whos not played but unless she starts winning she will not be on the Pro Tour and the Enjoyment shes been having will not be there although PTC Will be but i want to see her getting to where her talent should get her.

Getting to the Top of the Game might be out of the Question at The Moment but id Like to see her On the Tour for years to come and get Better.

She or any other player has to focus on getting better fanning about switching hands cant be a positive thing in the goal shes striving for surely?

Postby Wildey

anyway thats my rant over lol

i just want her to be succesfull and get somewhere <ok>

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:if she couldn't play this game to a high Level she wouldnt be where she is in the womans game its 2 easy to use the excuse shes a Woman Yes she is a Woman but a incredably talented women well up there with male players at that end of the Rankings but shes the only Player to not Win a Match this season apart from John Higgins Whos not played but unless she starts winning she will not be on the Pro Tour and the Enjoyment shes been having will not be there although PTC Will be but i want to see her getting to where her talent should get her.

Getting to the Top of the Game might be out of the Question at The Moment but id Like to see her On the Tour for years to come and get Better.

She or any other player has to focus on getting better fanning about switching hands cant be a positive thing in the goal shes striving for surely?

Your comments are kinda contradictory Wild :no:

Your saying that she must be exceptional within the womens game to have achieved what she has <ok> i agree.

But then you seem to assume that cos of this she should easily be able to mix it up and hold her own with the male players around the lower end of the rankings where she is :scared:

A quick bit of research into the womens game, average breaks etc soons make it clear that like it or hate it Reannes level is no greater than that of most decent amateur male players <ok>

Positive discrimination when she got onto the tour i tell ya :no:

Postby Wildey

what im saying she should give herself maximum chance to mix it with her men counterpart ....

i don't believe on the evidence i saw in the PTC Last weekend she is giving her talent the chance to full fill itself which is a shame.

Postby Bourne

I'm kinda 50/50 on this one, on the one hand I think if she believes in her talents and ability and that she can cope playing a few shots left-handed, then good on her and that's her neck on the line ... on the other hand, she's clearly a better player right-handed and with her slightly struggling start to the season it might be better to just absolutely knuckle down and commit to playing the way that got her there and build up the confidence that way instead of trying to win 'flashily' ...

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:I'm kinda 50/50 on this one, on the one hand I think if she believes in her talents and ability and that she can cope playing a few shots left-handed, then good on her and that's her neck on the line ... on the other hand, she's clearly a better player right-handed and with her slightly struggling start to the season it might be better to just absolutely knuckle down and commit to playing the way that got her there and build up the confidence that way instead of trying to win 'flashily' ...

"on one hand"

"on the other hand"

rofl i see what you did there !!! :D

Postby Roland

I think what she needs is more match practice in the main events and on the match tables under professional match conditions. If you see pictures from Monique and others at ladies events you see a lot of club tables and normal members playing around them on other tables, and they're playing for poor prize money in short matches so for Reanne especially it's a big disadvantage to go straight from that onto the main tour.

As for playing left/right handed - well if there is an obvious difference in positional play under pressure when using the opposite hand then she would be advised to stick with one and only use the other in extreme cases. But if she is comfortable with switching hands and it helps the flow of her game and stopping and thinking about it more disrupts that then she should stick at it and play the way she feels.

If she doesn't win a match this season then I would be behind her getting another wildcard onto the tour for next season and the season after that because she is a special case and she's also playing very good male players including a lot of hungry young players fighting for their chance to rise out of the bottom tier of professionals. In other words fierce competition. I'm sure there is a lot of pride at stake too from the men who don't want to go down in history as the first to lose a professional match to a woman, but it's only a matter of time now before we get to find out who that will be.

Postby Wildey

She obviously can now play left handed so theres no need to use it unless you need to i have no problem using it when need be thats a advantage for her but there was one shot she switched which alarmed me when there was no need to very Ronnieeske and there was others that had she potted it she could have won frames which she missed and lost 4-0.

and it just occurred to me how many more has she missed switching hands over this season that resulted to no wins..

in the Womens game she could get away with it but cant in the Pro Ranks.

Postby sundaygirl

I feel it is a shame that Reanne has had to wait until now to join the main tour. If she had had these opportunities as a 20 year old she may have stood a better chance of adapting her game to the different conditions.

Postby Wildey

sundaygirl wrote:I feel it is a shame that Reanne has had to wait until now to join the main tour. If she had had these opportunities as a 20 year old she may have stood a better chance of adapting her game to the different conditions.

yes it could be like a farm boy learning to drive on a farm with a tractor picking up bad habits along the way that when he comes to try his driving test he fails 3 or 4 times.

Postby Smart

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:I feel it is a shame that Reanne has had to wait until now to join the main tour. If she had had these opportunities as a 20 year old she may have stood a better chance of adapting her game to the different conditions.

yes it could be like a farm boy learning to drive on a farm with a tractor picking up bad habits along the way that when he comes to try his driving test he fails 3 or 4 times.

:farmer:

I think she must do what feels natural, play the table as she would in pracice - and if that means she alternates left and right handed then so be it. Judgement will ultimately be on results, there will be no asterisk to say "ah well but she did play a certain number of shots left handed too" - its results and results alone which means ranking points, which means continuity to survive on the tour without any special dispensation.

:wave: :idea: :wave: :idea:

Postby Wildey

yes its ultimately down to her.

her game
her wins
and her loses.
<ok>

Postby markj147

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:shes not won a match theres a reason for that lets use some common sense and try and help her finds a reason and stop bullshitting about what she can and cant do.

The few shots left handed didn't lose her the matches though because she missed some dolly shots right handed as well when in prime position, she suffered because her opponents can clear from these gifts whereas she will get more chances in the ladies game.

If I was to offer advice for improvement it would be to play more professionals and get advice from someone who has played the game at the highest level and who can communicate effectively, like Ray Reardon did with Ronnie, not for technical assistance but mental strength and focus when given opportunities. As to who would do that I cannot say. Reanne said herself that she is struggling to practice properly because she is flying from one event to another, so that can't help much.

If she does find someone to help her and someone knows who it is let me know because my daughter doesnt listen to me at all even when my advice will help her improve.

As for bullshitting, I don't see people bullshitting and as you can see Reanne said those things. Also I am living with a female snooker player and watching her develop from a child to an adult and I notice similarities in focus and the approach to game between Han and Reanne, which I am trying to fix in Hannah's game but I can honestly say it aint a switch and it doesnt change overnight.

Postby markj147

Agreed. <ok>

Postby markj147

Sonny wrote:..................

If she doesn't win a match this season then I would be behind her getting another wildcard onto the tour for next season and the season after that because she is a special case and she's also playing very good male players including a lot of hungry young players fighting for their chance to rise out of the bottom tier of professionals. In other words fierce competition. I'm sure there is a lot of pride at stake too from the men who don't want to go down in history as the first to lose a professional match to a woman, but it's only a matter of time now before we get to find out who that will be.

She has beaten Kurt Maflin in the plate event at the last event so if you consider it a professional match then he has the honour. I also would support her staying on the tour just to see whether she improves on her position. Already in the ladies events you can see her game has changed to being more cagey and creating chances. She even turns down shots which she would have gone for in the past in favour of developing the table and maximising her chances.

Postby Bourne

I think regardless of what she does for the rest of the season she should be given another chance on tour next year, you can't just give someone one year that's just not enough, the first year is all about finding your feet and while there are admittedly a lot more tournaments, there are plenty of hungry journeymen out there who are use to plodding along in the cubicles and see a new player who is perhaps nervous and it's meat and drink to them. I'd guarantee you'd see a more successful Evans next season.

Postby Wildey

looking at the tour criteria for next season there is no wild card as was the case this season

Top 64 from the official (two-year) World Ranking list at the end of 2010/2011 season= 64

Next 8 Main Tour players from 2010/2011 PTC Rankings= 8

Q School Tour Card= 12

IBSF World Champion
IBSF WU21 Champion
Europe = 2
Asia = 3
England = 1
Scotland = 1
N Ireland = 1
Wales = 1
Rep of Ireland = 1
= 96

ive highlighted her only way on the main tour based on nominations but would England award her a place at the expense of other players.

the wild cards she got this season has been given to the Q School to increase that from 8 PIOS 2010/2011 to 12 for 2011/2012.

Postby Roland

markj147 wrote:
Sonny wrote:..................

She has beaten Kurt Maflin in the plate event at the last event so if you consider it a professional match then he has the honour. I also would support her staying on the tour just to see whether she improves on her position. Already in the ladies events you can see her game has changed to being more cagey and creating chances. She even turns down shots which she would have gone for in the past in favour of developing the table and maximising her chances.

Haha no I don't count plate matches but I'm glad she's won a match. And of course I completely forgot about the game progression, she's obviously learning to play in a new way which even more says she should be given a proper chance and tell her at this stage she's going to get a wildcard into next season. OK it may ruffle a few feathers but if it helps her to relax a bit and develop her game and give her a proper chance then why not? Especially if she's dominating the ladies game so much. It will help the ladies game too if she's bringing new tactics to the table.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:I think regardless of what she does for the rest of the season she should be given another chance on tour next year, you can't just give someone one year that's just not enough, the first year is all about finding your feet and while there are admittedly a lot more tournaments, there are plenty of hungry journeymen out there who are use to plodding along in the cubicles and see a new player who is perhaps nervous and it's meat and drink to them. I'd guarantee you'd see a more successful Evans next season.

No chance, why should she get another chance at the expense of someone else who is better?

Positive disrimination if she gets preferential treatment.

If shes good enough she'll re-qualify via Q School :john: rofl

If not she can go back to the ladies tour (where she belongs IMO) <ok>

Postby markj147

Reanne told me she had her first pro match ton in the plate event at the ePTC last weekend.

It was 117 against Hans Blanckaert.
Last edited by markj147 on 17 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Casey

I think it was worth giving her a go for one season, whilst she hasn’t made the most of it so far I think it was only fair given her records on the women’s game.

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:I think regardless of what she does for the rest of the season she should be given another chance on tour next year, you can't just give someone one year that's just not enough, the first year is all about finding your feet and while there are admittedly a lot more tournaments, there are plenty of hungry journeymen out there who are use to plodding along in the cubicles and see a new player who is perhaps nervous and it's meat and drink to them. I'd guarantee you'd see a more successful Evans next season.

No chance, why should she get another chance at the expense of someone else who is better?

Positive disrimination if she gets preferential treatment.

If shes good enough she'll re-qualify via Q School :john: rofl

If not she can go back to the ladies tour (where she belongs IMO) <ok>

there's no sitting on the fence with Witz - you gotta give him that :idea: :santa: :idea: :santa:

Postby GJ

i agree with witz

and she will be whitewashed in uk quallies

FACT