Post a reply

Free ball or not?.

Postby Sophie Hart

With only the colours on, your opponent fouls but leaves the cue ball close to the 'ball on' without touching it. The 'ball on' cannot be struck on either side because of its close proximity. Is this a free ball situation?.

Re: Free ball or not?.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sophie Hart wrote:With only the colours on, your opponent fouls but leaves the cue ball close to the 'ball on' without touching it. The 'ball on' cannot be struck on either side because of its close proximity. Is this a free ball situation?.

well very good question...in theory it should be a free ball because not being able to strike both sides. but ive never heard or seen that as a free ball

Postby Wildey

No That is not a free ball.

you cant be snookered by the Ball on.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:No That is not a free ball.

you cant be snookered by the Ball on.

wild...i failed to noticed that obvious. its a free ball when snookered in this case you not snookered just impaired by the fact you cant hit the other side

Postby APK

I agree. This is definitely not a free ball.
The common misconception is that you have to be able to hit both 'sides' of the ball on.
This is often interpreted that there must be a balls width either side of the ball-on regardless of where the cue-ball is.
This is not the case. The Rule states that you must be able to hit the ball on at both extreme edges.
The extreme edge is dependant on the position of the cue ball relative to the ball on.

To give an extreme example........
After a foul, you are ball-in-hand.
The last remaining red is on the Brown Spot with the Green and Brown on the Baulk Line either side of the Red and touching it.
Is this a 'free ball'?

No it is not.
Because you can place the cue-ball directly in front of the Red almost touching it.
This means that playing in one direction you can hit the extreme left edge of the ball-on and in the other direction you can hit the extreme right edge of the ball-on.
The point of impact may well be the same point (within a millimetre or so) but it is still the extreme edge in both directions.

Postby robertsamual

Hi Guys,

I am very new to this snooker forum. First thing I would like to say that this forum's look and layout is really eye catching. Now coming on the question. I can definitely say that it will not give a free ball. :no:

____________________________________________________________________________________
"Going High"
pool supplies

Postby NonStick

If one of the extreme edges of the ball on cannot be hit because of its close proximity to a cushion, is that a free ball ?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

After a foul, if the cue-ball is snookered (see Section 2, Rule 17), the referee
shall state FREE BALL.

The cue-ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a
cushion obstructs the cue-ball and is closer to the cue-ball than any
obstructing ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.

I think these are the two relevant rules, hence no free ball in that situation