Post a reply

Re: Ronnie discussing him & Selby, the World Championship

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
D4P wrote:Ronnie used the word "permutations".

But probably pronounced it, “primatations.”

I always look forward to Ronnie saying “trajectory” rofl

Or "mid-sheshion".

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:Saltby shouldn't really be so upset about the SF loss. He's still arguably "ahead" in the rivalry, having beaten Ronnie in a World final and all of their other ranking finals.

Yeah but he got absolutely destroyed and his game plan completely exposed. You just know he thought he had Ronnie eating out of the palm of his hand. Not surprised he’s upset that Ronnie actually bit his hand off.

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:Saltby shouldn't really be so upset about the SF loss. He's still arguably "ahead" in the rivalry, having beaten Ronnie in a World final and all of their other ranking finals.

Selby is the one who's done many other painful comebacks against Ronnie. Worlds 2014, Masters 2010 and Welsh Open 2008 the most important, so that's what he should be focusing on.

Obviously this reignited their rivarly.

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:Reading between the lines of this interview, almost seems like Selby has ghosted Ronnie since that loss, when Ronnie says it’s affected their relationship.

Yeah, I think Ronnie feels a bit badly about that. He liked being on friendly terms, but like Ronnie says, it's up to Saltby to get over it. Ronnie didn't do anything wrong.

Postby Prop

What hurt Selby is that Ronnie had the audacity to completely disrupt the game in the way he did. It completely threw him. And then when Ronnie actually scored heavily from the opportunities he created by playing psycho snooker, Selby was utterly shellshocked.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:What hurt Selby is that Ronnie had the audacity to completely disrupt the game in the way he did. It completely threw him. And then when Ronnie actually scored heavily from the opportunities he created by playing psycho snooker, Selby was utterly shellshocked.

Yep, and not just that but Ronnie’s understated reaction as well must have rankles even more.

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:Reading between the lines of this interview, almost seems like Selby has ghosted Ronnie since that loss, when Ronnie says it’s affected their relationship.

Indeed. Before the match Ronnie was talking about how well they get on. Quite the polar opposite now.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie did nothing to celebrate his victory. He acted like nothing happened. Selby looked really snake hissed off when he walked out. Turns out air hurts a lot more than wood.

rofl

Postby D4P

Sometimes I wonder if players feel "disrespected" by "hit and hope" shots because they think it means that the hit-and-hoper thinks that they can hit-and-hope and still have a good chance of winning because they don't think highly of their opponent's abilities.

I'd be surprised if Selby was simple-minded enough to think that way about Ronnie. Ronnie clearly wasn't hitting-and-hoping based on a belief that Selby isn't good enough to beat him, but rather based on Ronnie's own lack of confidence in his ability to escape snookers and his unwillingness to get bogged down in safety battles.

I can understand Mark feeling hurt about losing, but I don't think he has a good reason to be upset at Ronnie...

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:Sometimes I wonder if players feel "disrespected" by "hit and hope" shots because they think it means that the hit-and-hoper thinks that they can hit-and-hope and still have a good chance of winning because they don't think highly of their opponent's abilities.

I'd be surprised if Selby was simple-minded enough to think that way about Ronnie. Ronnie clearly wasn't hitting-and-hoping based on a belief that Selby isn't good enough to beat him, but rather based on Ronnie's own lack of confidence in his ability to escape snookers and his unwillingness to get bogged down in safety battles.

I can understand Mark feeling hurt about losing, but I don't think he has a good reason to be upset at Ronnie...

Despite what Selby said in the post-match interview, it wasn’t the hit and hope that bothered him. It was the three frames of brilliance and the incredible snooker escape.

That’s what made it so hard for Selby to swallow, because the hit and hopes made him think he’d broken Ronnie.

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:Despite what Selby said in the post-match interview, it wasn’t the hit and hope that bothered him. It was the three frames of brilliance and the incredible snooker escape.

That’s what made it so hard for Selby to swallow, because the hit and hopes made him think he’d broken Ronnie.

Again, I can understand why that was so painful for Selby, but I can't understand why he would have any personal resentment toward Ronnie for it. Maybe Mark has just decided that they shouldn't be friendly until they're finished playing against each other, since their matches are so intense and they both feel like there's so much to gain or lose in their matchups...

Postby D4P

mantorok wrote:This was the first time Ronnie had beaten him at the crucible who realistically robbed him of two titles. Selby needs to take his medicine it’s not like it wasn’t overdue.

That's my take, too. And I think that's what Ronnie's saying. Mark hurt Ronnie in 2014, and then Ronnie returned the favor in 2020.

Postby PLtheRef

Dare it be said, What I think Selby was most annoyed about that Semi-Final was the fact that he had O'Sullivan well and truly on the ropes, 13-9 in front on the Friday morning and should have been much further clear than 13-11 going into the Friday evening session. Similarly 16-14 in front, Mark Selby wouldn't normally ever let a match slip from two up with three to play, no matter who he might be against.

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:Dare it be said, What I think Selby was most annoyed about that Semi-Final was the fact that he had O'Sullivan well and truly on the ropes, 13-9 in front on the Friday morning and should have been much further clear than 13-11 going into the Friday evening session. Similarly 16-14 in front, Mark Selby wouldn't normally ever let a match slip from two up with three to play, no matter who he might be against.

Yes Selby definately should have been at least 14-10 up, if not 15-9, and instead only 13-11 and soon it was 13-13.

But he had done so well to get that disappointment behind him and lead 16-14, but Ronnie produced 3 brilliant frames that will forever go down in Snooker history. Even so, Selby had a good chance in the decider, could have made a John Higgins type clearance to win the match but failed to get position on the last red.

In the end, it was a brilliant safety shot from Ronnie that eventually decided the match, who'd have thought it would come down to that against such a brilliant tactical player like Selby. Two and a half brilliant breakbuilding frames followed by great safety won ROS the match in the end.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:And what a safety it was! Plenty of people thought he’d fluked that glancing shot on the red. But watch this from the 2012 Worlds semi against Matty Stevens (scroll down past the Reanne Evans gif)...

https://clusterofreds.com/2018/08/30/fa ... ts-part-3/

It definitely wasn’t a fluke.

And if Selby had done it everyone would be saying how great he was at escaping from snookers and getting it safe.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:And what a safety it was! Plenty of people thought he’d fluked that glancing shot on the red. But watch this from the 2012 Worlds semi against Matty Stevens (scroll down past the Reanne Evans gif)...

And if Selby had done it everyone would be saying how great he was at escaping from snookers and getting it safe.

Exactly. The barrage of scoring was one thing, but actually proving impervious to Selby’s trademark ‘shut up shop’ safety game was just as satisfying to watch.

Postby Andre147

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Exactly. The barrage of scoring was one thing, but actually proving impervious to Selby’s trademark ‘shut up shop’ safety game was just as satisfying to watch.

Yes, that's why I said two and a half brilliant frames of breakbuilding. 2 great one visit breaks, followed by a 60 and then top notch safety play, against none other than the master of safety himself.