Post a reply

Question - class of 92

Postby mick745

What will happen to the careers of Higgins, Williams, O'Sullivan in the long run?

Are any of them likely to fall far enough down the rankings to jeopardise their pro status? Cant imagine they'd ever enter q school for instance.

How low do they have to sink before they consider retirement?

Would they be awarded wildcard tour places for ever so they can play on back tables at venues in front of a few spectators in their 60s with the dads telling their sons how great they once were?

How would they make a living? None of them seem natural commentators.

What do you see happening?

Re: Question - class of 92

Postby SnookerFan

Are any of them likely to fall far enough down the rankings to jeopardise their pro status?

Not for a couple of seasons at least, I reckon. Ronnie and Higgins have both being getting to a load of finals, with Higgins recently winning and Ronnie being the World Champion. Mark Williams is still doing alright too.

And it's not like there's enough youngsters that will take the bull by the horn and force them off the tour.

Postby mick745

I was kind of speculating about the longer term, when they arent getting to finals or even later stages anymore.

At what stage do they pack it in - or will it come to that.

And if they do pack it in what then?

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:I was kind of speculating about the longer term, when they arent getting to finals or even later stages anymore.

At what stage do they pack it in - or will it come to that.

And if they do pack it in what then?

They retire. <laugh>

All three are rich enough that they don't have to do anything other than laze about and play golf.

Ronnie'll probably continue to work on Eurosport. Higgins and Williams will probably be off getting snake hissed somewhere.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Williams has already been outside the Top 16 and missed two World Championships so he'd probably keep going longer. O'Sullivan and Higgins will likely be gone once they are out of the Top 16.

Postby Iranu

MJW said he’ll play until he drops off the tour.

Postby Prop

Hearn hinted strongly that he’d give Ronnie a wildcard for as long as he wanted it in today’s Talking Snooker podcast. Which wouldn’t be a surprise. The only question would be how long Ronnie would want to keep playing for. And I guess there is an extra consideration; Hearn isn’t going to be in charge forever. If Eddie takes over I’d imagine he’d maintain his dad’s principles, but we won’t know until it happens.

As for Willo and Higgins, I’d expect them to wrap things up once they’re no longer competitive. Would they also be offered wildcards? Maybe.

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie and Higgins will stop playing once they stop being topplayers. If they drop out of the Top16 they will retire.

Williams said he'll play until he drops off the tour but I dont really believe him. Easy to say that kind of stuff when you're still a Top16 player, earning good money.

Postby Iranu

I don’t think Higgins would retire immediately on dropping out of the 16. I’d guess he’d give himself a season or teo to get back in.

Postby Running side

Didn't Ronnie once talk about a break away tour,be surprised if he can stand another 3years with Barry. Ronnie got the contacts to force a big upevil in snooker, similar to what happened in darts, think he explained prize money nowhere near golf, tennis ect.

Postby SnookerFan

Running side wrote:Didn't Ronnie once talk about a break away tour,be surprised if he can stand another 3years with Barry. Ronnie got the contacts to force a big upevil in snooker, similar to what happened in darts, think he explained prize money nowhere near golf, tennis ect.

Postby lhpirnie

No, no. They will all be around on the exhibition circuit for ever. If any of them want to play on the pro tour, they would be given wildcards immediately. Even now there's a lot of effort into keeping them going, as they are a cash-cow for the game.

Postby Johnny Bravo

mick745 wrote:What will happen to the careers of Higgins, Williams, O'Sullivan in the long run?
Are any of them likely to fall far enough down the rankings to jeopardise their pro status?
No. As soon as they won't be good enough to compete for the big events anymore, they will retire.
Sure, they might try for a season of maybe two to get back into the top 16 if they fall off it, but that's it.

mick745 wrote: Cant imagine they'd ever enter q school for instance.
Of course they won't enter it.
That would be very embarrassing for a player of their caliber.

mick745 wrote: How low do they have to sink before they consider retirement?
Outside the top 16, or outside the top 32 in the worst case scenario.

mick745 wrote: Would they be awarded wildcard tour places for ever so they can play on back tables at venues in front of a few spectators in their 60s with the dads telling their sons how great they once were
Of course they'll be awarded wildcards, they are legends of the game. Ronnie is the GOAT for crying out loud, he'll always be welcomed with open arms. But neither will accept them, they'll just play some exhibition snooker in the best case scenario.

mick745 wrote: How would they make a living?
All are millionaires, so I wouldn't worry about them. They probably have invested their money well.
I know that Ronnie's net worth in over 30 million £. On top of that, he has very lucrative deals with Eurosport and other investors. He can also take the China route like Hendry did. He's immensely popular there and will be getting huge money from sponsors.

Postby Johnny Bravo

mick745 wrote: None of them seem natural commentators.
On that we can fully agree.

ROS has a decent chance of becoming one though, probably even Willo.

Higgins stands no chance whatsoever cause he can't bucking speak English properly. You can barely understand what he says with his stupid Scottish accent. :irk:

Come to think about it, Hendry's English is way more clean/crisp, you can understand everything he says, and he has a nicer voice too. I wonder why they are so different :chin: :?

Postby HappyCamper

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Higgins stands no chance whatsoever cause he can't bucking speak English properly. You can barely understand what he says with his stupid Scottish accent. :irk:

Come to think about it, Hendry's English is way more clean/crisp, you can understand everything he says, and he has a nicer voice too. I wonder why they are so different :chin: :?

Higgins from the west, Hendry the east coast.

Higgins says he has no interest in becoming a commentator anyways

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

If they were all retired they could go on a Class Of 92 Tour. With a special guest appearance each night to round up the number.

Postby 1892

Johnny Bravo wrote:

The Glasgow accent is a lot rougher and harder to understand.

Then again, Angles is Glaswegian, so maybe it isn’t that.
Last edited by 1892 on 30 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Juddernaut88

Is saying "stupid Scottish accent" deemed as a little bit disrespectful to an extent?

Postby shanew48

Juddernaut88 wrote:Is saying "stupid Scottish accent" deemed as a little bit disrespectful to an extent?

Not when you consider how the Scottish refer to the English, they are not our biggest fans!

Postby Iranu

John Higgins isn’t from Glasgow.

He’s not the Wizard of Glasgow.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Juddernaut88 wrote:Is saying "stupid Scottish accent" deemed as a little bit disrespectful to an extent?

Why would it be ?! That's dumb.
In Brazil people sound different too, depending on where they are from. Go talk to people from Recife, Sao Paolo, Caruaru and Rio and you won't like the way some of them speak Portuguese.
Anyway, too many people nowadays have become mentally weak, wussies that get offended by every silly little thing. Men used to be rougher and tougher in the past. In the past, people wouldn't even flich or give a buck about the little things people find offensive nowadays. They wouldn't be moaning and crying like a wuss. And if someone crossed the line, you'd beat his ass.

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:John Higgins isn’t from Glasgow.

Wishaw kind of is Glasgow. It is very close.

Postby SnookerEd25

AlfGit wrote:
Iranu wrote:John Higgins isn’t from Glasgow.

Wishaw kind of is Glasgow. It is very close.

It’s a suburb of Glasgow like, for example Tooting is a suburb of London so Jimmy White is both a Tooting lad, and a Londoner.

Postby HappyCamper

Wishaw is not a suburb of Glasgow. It's a town in Lanarkshire, that is part of the Greater Glasgow conurbation.

Postby Prop

As Iranu once put it... yee, lassen.

I quite like a broad Glaswegian accent. Wouldn’t life be dull if we were all the same?!