50%
Terrible failure
38%
Didn't see it/Don't care
13%

Total votes : 16

Power Snooker: Success or Failure ?

Postby Bourne

Simple vote, was the Power Snooker event on Saturday night a good night for the game or did it leave you somewhat peturbed ?

Re: Power Snooker: Success or Failure ?

Postby Casey

Success or failure for what though?

It was fun for the players and the crowd
It give them a chance to earn some good money

However its not snooker. Just like billiards on a snooker table with some of the same balls, different points etc.
I would rename it Power ball or something.

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:The night as a whole, taking everything into account.

Eh, I don't know really. I have nothing against it, the players enjoyed themselves, well I'm not sure Murphy enjoyed being called a fat C 9even though he tried to hide it).
If they developed it into a series and played it throughout the year I wouldn't care. As long as no money for it comes out of the world snooker purse.

Postby GJ

FAILUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Postby GJ

CAN I CHANGE MY VOTE TO SUCCESS

BECAUSE ITS BEEN A SUCCESS FOR THE RETARDED NUTTERS WHO LOVED IT

<cool>

Postby Wildey

did murphy get called a fat c*** ?

just for that i vote it a huge success <laugh>

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:did murphy get called a fat c*** ?

<laugh>
Last edited by GJ on 30 Oct 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:

some muppet shouted out when robbo was on an important rubbish

<doh>

na there was nothing important there mate <ok>

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:

some muppet shouted out when robbo was on an important rubbish

<doh>

na there was nothing important there mate <ok>

its :bs: :fart:

Postby Wildey

for something like this to actually be fun it has to have simpler rules to play to

it was to much numbers game ....it sugest they take it in to maths lesson.

what makes snooker brilliant and succesfull is the simplicity of the rules ......christ even the miss rule proving complicated with snooker fans :)

Postby Steve K

I was there and the event itself was a success. The Crowd seemed to enjoy it, but im not sure if it will work as a long term thing, see how it goes.

Postby Wildey

Steve K wrote:I was there and the event itself was a success. The Crowd seemed to enjoy it, but im not sure if it will work as a long term thing, see how it goes.

i know it wont work as a long term thing no thinking about it :redneck:

Postby Witz78

the rules are simple

it was great entertainment

all the purists and snooker snobs can mock it all they want, they were against it from the start so there blinkered opinions count for nothing

Postby SnookerFan

I didn't see the even session, other then Ding vs Murphy, and that was on silence. I knew I wasn't going to see it, going into the event. But I didn't care that much. To be honest, I just thought of it as cheesy looking rubbish. It wasn't too bad I must say, and I wouldn't have minded watching it...

On saying that, I don't know what constitutes a success? If they were serious about this being the future of snooker, it was an epic failure. If they were trying to create something fun that was different to snooker it was a success.

It has convinced me however we don't particularly want rowdy drunken crowds at snooker events. I'm all for a good, old-fashioned piss-up, but it somehow seemed out of place at snooker. Shouting; "Ooooh" every time somebody went for the Power Ball got irritating. And was it really necessary to pretend that Michaela Tabb shouting; "Power Zone" was the height of comedy? <doh> Also, I didn't see the point of the Power Girls. They were naff, and served no purpose. Again, I don't mind a bit of a perv, but hiring women for the sole purpose of everybody getting a good look in seemed OTT.

Those complaints aside, it wasn't too bad. As long as we don't get carried away and start thinking we move The Crucible to the O2 and start playing The Worlds under Power Snooker rules, it wasn't too bad. Once or twice a year is sufficient though.

Postby Monique

It was great entertainment, it was fun, it got a lot of media coverage, including internationally (mind you, even here in Greece we got to see a good deal of it), brought a broadcaster back to snooker. Its different and not meant to replace the traditional form of the game but it deserves its "niche" in the calendar. It clearly attracted a real cross-section: males and females, young and old(er). Joe Johnson commentating on Eurosport was extremely enthusiast.
It actually requires quite a lot of skills: quick thinking, good potting, a good tactical nous (and a different approach).
Ronnie for instance very cleverly chose when to pot the powerball particularly when playing Ali to really score the most of the powerplay. Both him and Ali "timed out" their opponents towards the end of the match when in front (and I loved Ali's cheekiness ;) ). Robbo on the contrary didn't quite "grab" it: It was his interest to end the frame asap (even losing some points) towards the end of the match as he was the one to break-off next. Instead he kept on battling and, it must be said, treated us with some terrific potting from the powerzone!
The only really annoying part was the disrespect some in the audience showed to some players. Also the crowd was a bit too "rowdy". That has to be addressed.
Here is Michaela's view (on twitter)
I really enjoyed it! A few production changes required but a great game :-) atmosphere was amazing... Think we could drop the Powerzone chant -unless it wasn't obvious, but we had to start somewhere n for a 1st I think everyone did an amazing job!! :-))

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:the rules are simple

all the purists and snooker snobs can mock it all they want, they were against it from the start so there blinkered opinions count for nothing

Well I certainly wasn't against it, I was really looking forward to it actually. I just found the thing totally disjointed. I didn't like the cloth colour, I though the crowd was nothing like what you have in darts and you could hear every insult for what it was worth. Murphy being called a fat runt? I actually don't think there's any need for that at a snooker match, ever, though I can't stand the man and would probably have no objection to him being called that on a street <laugh>

The Powerzone chant was annoying, so I hope that's binned (and I think it will be). I found the quality pretty poor for the most part, and although that's really to be expected, I like to see top notch snooker and get turned off by poor quality fare. The women were also a bit too covered up for my liking :-(

On the plus side, I actually thing the whole thing was a success because most reviews were actually quite good. Nobody should claim this is the future of snooker, it would be a sad day if this even became a minor ranker. I though the bar-stools idea was actually quite clever, and the music was worked far better than at most ranking events.

So: I didn't like it AT ALL, but I think there are enough people out there liking it for it to continue in some form. I just won't be watching.

Postby Tubberlad

SnookerFan wrote:Am I the only one who thought Patricia Murphy last night, looked a bit like Melissa from The Contender?

Another disappointment <laugh>

I seen Patricia a few years ago, without the glasses and the generally eccentric appearance, and honest to God I thought she was absolutely beautiful... I would have <ok> I thought I was in love

thetubberlad wrote:Murphy being called a fat runt?

wildJONESEYE wrote:that was the only possitive thing about it after the rubbish hes been spouting last few days.

ill join in Murphy you are a fat Lady Part

I never thought of it that way :redneck: good work Wild

Postby Monique

The rules ARE simple: it's snooker , under 20 sec shot-clock,
except for 5 things
- pot the powerball and everything potted by you or your opponent in the next 2 minutes counts double
- pot with cueball in powerzone, it counts double
- foul and your opponent has ball in hand in the powerzone
- it's aggregate points that count, not frames won
- score centuries, you get bonus points.
What isn't that simple is to derive the right tactics from them.

Postby Wildey

monique

thoes rules are totally pathetic no sense in them what so ever.

if this thing has any legs what so ever they got to trim the rules.

power ball 2 minute double points was all that needed power zones and all that rubbish just one man going ballistic with a pen and paper.

Postby Wildey

this time last year all the talk was of 6 reds and 10 reds etc now thats being forgotten.

this time next year power snooker ?? when was that played during the 60s noo that was snooker plus.

Postby Bourne

I've voted success, thought it went well. My assertion beforehand would that it would just be a game of snooker in the background while the main coverage was the 'power girls' parading up and down and chatting to some x-listers who had put too much caviar on their duck or whatever. But they did okay, considering ITV have had very little snooker to deal with in recent years (if any ?) and that this event wasn't exactly 'normal' snooker ... the actual snooker they played was good imo, very entertaining most of the way.

Postby Smart

I never watched it, never considered watching it, will never watch it in the future. Its a failure from the start and I am very "closed mind" to anything that differs from snooker as it is meant to be. I hate this, I hate PremierLeague, I hate shot clock.

Q: Is the word retard or nutter offensive......................? :wave:

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:I never watched it, never considered watching it, will never watch it in the future. Its a failure from the start and I am very "closed mind" to anything that differs from snooker as it is meant to be. I hate this, I hate PremierLeague, I hate shot clock.

i was not closed minded i opened it up and i got a kick in the balls with it.

regarding your question is bourne a retard ? probably :redneck:

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I never watched it, never considered watching it, will never watch it in the future. Its a failure from the start and I am very "closed mind" to anything that differs from snooker as it is meant to be. I hate this, I hate PremierLeague, I hate shot clock.

i was not closed minded i opened it up and i got a kick in the balls with it.

regarding your question is bourne a retard ? probably :redneck:

I pride myself on how "closed mind" I am. <ok>

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:the rules are simple

Snooker snobs? But it wasn't snooker. Its good for an exbo but that's it.

If the promoters want to make in into a series for the players fair play to them.

However it won't make any difference for the real game of snooker as its so different. What it might do is give some of the players a bit more recognition which is a good thing.

As long as money does not come out of the world snooker purse I don't mind.