Post a reply

Players who may be dropping off the tour

Postby mick745

At the moment the following players are dropping off the tour unless they do something in the world qualifiers. There are 26 names here, only 14 places are available through q school.

Some will have been affected by covid restrictions, some will no doubt now disappear as they arent good enough, some have fallen off before and got back on, and some will retire.

Yuan Sijun
Luo Honghao
Jackson Page
Mei Xiwen
Daniel Wells
Eden Sharav
Gerard Greene
Mitchell Mann
Igor Figueiredo
James Cahill
Si Jiahui
Barry Pinches
Sohail Vahedi
Kacper Filipiak
Duane Jones
David Lilley
Rod Lawler
Lei Peifan
Peter Lines
Brandon Sargeant
Fraser Patrick
Billy Joe Castle
Bai Langning
Amine Amiri
Alex Borg
Steve Mifsud

Re: Players who may be dropping off the tour

Postby lhpirnie

What makes you say 'some will retire'? I thought several of these players had already retired, but they still keep coming back...

There are some extremely talented younger players on that list. It would be a tragedy if some of them were not on tour next season.

Postby cupotee

and where's the sense in amateurs who were never on tour before even entering the q school , you can almost guarantee the likes of pinches lines jones vahedi green and page will either qualify back by q school or be strong top up players like michael white , just open the pro tour up for everyone with an entrance fee and thus further minimise the difficulties and restrictions , why have restrictions anyway when money is the essence of it all .

Postby The_Abbott

This has been a strange year as the person finishing in 64th place will have the lowest money earnt for a long time. Some good Chinese talent there but they will requalify I am sure.

Mifsud - thats one gone for starters!

Hicks is only just in the top 10 of teh 1 year list but needs to beat Reanne to stay I reckon.

Hamilton has made like 8k this year and still on the tour lol!

Lawler - retirement for sure.

Cahill - bye Ronniekiller

Postby D4P

Dan-cat wrote:The lowest ranked didn't use to have to face a top player in the last 128s. That's a bit unfair no?

Hearn likes it that way. Survival of the fittest.

Postby lhpirnie

cupotee wrote:and where's the sense in amateurs who were never on tour before even entering the q school , you can almost guarantee the likes of pinches lines jones vahedi green and page will either qualify back by q school or be strong top up players like michael white , just open the pro tour up for everyone with an entrance fee and thus further minimise the difficulties and restrictions , why have restrictions anyway when money is the essence of it all .

There are contractual issues to wade through. But yes, in general I agree we should have a global ranking system, then it doesn't really matter.

Postby chengdufan

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lawler in q school, and he could well qualify.

I'll be stunned if we ever see Amiri or Patrick again.

I'd put Duane Jones, David Lilley and Filipiak as very unlikely to qualify again if they try.

It'll be interesting to see what Cahill does. I get the impression he could make a career of it if he could be bothered.

Postby mick745

chengdufan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Lawler in q school, and he could well qualify.

I'd put Duane Jones, David Lilley and Filipiak as very unlikely to qualify again if they try.

It'll be interesting to see what Cahill does. I get the impression he could make a career of it if he could be bothered.

Lawler requalifying would certainly be a damning indictment on the quality of any new young talent coming through.

Postby cupotee

chengdufan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Lawler in q school, and he could well qualify.

Patrick wouldn't be easy to beat for anyone there and even amiri's getting the experience , filipiak will probably try to bounce back one way or another yet again , why doesn't he call it a day .
Last edited by cupotee on 26 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby cupotee

mick745 wrote:

Lawler requalifying would certainly be a damning indictment on the quality of any new young talent coming through.

not at all he has over 30 years experience .

Postby cupotee

Iranu wrote:Lawler has over 30 years experience but hasn’t been in the top 32 for over 20 of them.

he still has the experience on pro tables which are hardly anywhere to be seen in Britain outside of wst events , if it was just open to everyone for an entrance fee over the last 30 years I'm not sure what status he would have enjoyed at all out of pro snooker .

Postby Iranu

cupotee wrote:
Iranu wrote:Lawler has over 30 years experience but hasn’t been in the top 32 for over 20 of them.

he still has the experience on pro tables which are hardly anywhere to be seen in Britain outside of wst events , if it was just open to everyone for an entrance fee over the last 30 years I'm not sure what status he would have enjoyed at all out of pro snooker .

How would you deal logistically with the influx of players in terms of tournaments?

Postby cupotee

Iranu wrote:
cupotee wrote:

How would you deal logistically with the influx of players in terms of tournaments?

Good question I was thinking that myself , tbh I haven't thought through a solution as there'd still need to be some rough estimate on the numbers of players refs venues etc , I just think at least anything is better than what we've got now , our friend rod being a good example .

Postby chengdufan

cupotee wrote:

Patrick wouldn't be easy to beat for anyone there and even amiri's getting the experience , filipiak will probably try to bounce back one way or another yet again , why doesn't he call it a day .

The thing with Fraser Patrick is that he first qualified as a professional in 2013 and had 4 years as a pro in which he barely won a match. In his three subsequent years in q school, sure he eventually qualified, but he also lost to Joel Walker, Andy Lee, Adrian Rosa, Kishan Hirani and Anthony Fieldsend.
He hasn't entered every event in this spell as a pro, in which again he has lost practically every match.

His record just strikes me as being at a level below the other plodders and yo-yo pros.

Postby cupotee

chengdufan wrote:
cupotee wrote:

The thing with Fraser Patrick is that he first qualified as a professional in 2013 and had 4 years as a pro in which he barely won a match. In his three subsequent years in q school, sure he eventually qualified, but he also lost to Joel Walker, Andy Lee, Adrian Rosa, Kishan Hirani and Anthony Fieldsend.
He hasn't entered every event in this spell as a pro, in which again he has lost practically every match.

His record just strikes me as being at a level below the other plodders and yo-yo pros.

I get what you're saying but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned around for him , he seems to have a good temperament and should have beaten lisowski 20 days ago in the Gibraltar open .