Post a reply

Re: The first shot of a frame.

Postby mick745

Some of those are genuine frames and some are exhibitions. Quintin Hann's of course was a proper match.

Does anyone remember a player potting the blue off the break off, i think it was at the crucible, the white glanced the blue on the way back and the blue went in the middle pocket. I dont remember this happening ever since.

Postby mick745

That's a brilliant find but not actually the incident i remember although it is exactly the same thing. 81 would have pre-dated my snooker viewing.

I remember the player quipping to the audience "well i've never done that before".

So it has definitely happened at least twice.

Postby SnookerEd25

Hmmm. If it was indeed at the Worlds, in the 80s, presumably would be on one of the musical montages the BBC used to do. I shall keep searching...

Postby SnookerEd25

vodkadiet1 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:It was David Taylor, Mick, at the start of this match :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JISuqod2Rg4

Is Davis Taylor related to Allan Taylor? This is probably common knowledge. I haven't checked on Ecosia. But they look similar and they are both from Manchester?

Don't think so. I'm sure Allan is a Essex boy :chin:

Postby Running side

Doug mountjoy on pot black broke sending 2 reds to the cushion returning to the pack to a perfect triangle.

Postby vodkadiet1

Running side wrote:Well found,that must be a one off.

It is strange the way the reds split differently. That shot must have been played exactly the same way thousands of times and nothing has been seen like that before or ever since.

Postby Running side

Can remember trying to recreate the shot,gave it an hour nowhere near, how Doug got the white back to baulk makes the shot even better.

Postby vodkadiet1

Running side wrote:Can remember trying to recreate the shot,gave it an hour nowhere near, how Doug got the white back to baulk makes the shot even better.

I think The University of Limerick should create an algorithm to make a conclusive study of break off shots and in particular to get hundreds of players to try and recreate the Mountjoy break.

Postby Running side

I remember talking to a senior player at our club, he witnessed a break off in the 1960s,guy miscued really badly but enough pace to reach the pack.Apparantly not one red moved,the white came to rest on side cushion. His theory was that snooker balls much heavier then,and this was the first shot from talking from box,which for some reason was on a hot radiator.