Post a reply

Re: The Jamie Burnett

Postby mick745

Well who knows.

He also got caught up in a suspected betting scandal when he played Maguire in the UK in 2008 when he missed an easy black ball frame ball described by Parrott "it would have been a poor attempt by an amateur let alone a professional".

I dont think any charges were brought but i suspect the suspicion lingered.

Postby gallantrabbit

The match clip was taken off youtube but JB was banged to rights. I don't think Maguire played any part but Burnett should have been banned.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:Well who knows.

He also got caught up in a suspected betting scandal when he played Maguire in the UK in 2008 when he missed an easy black ball frame ball described by Parrott "it would have been a poor attempt by an amateur let alone a professional".

What I don't understand is why Maguire never got blighted as much as the same accusation.

I mean, wasn't the accusation that Burnett was paid to lose 9-3? If you're going to pay somebody to lose a match by a certain score, wouldn't both players need to be in on it? (Unless you bribed somebody to lose 9-0, obviously.) Why would you risk bribing Burnett to lose, and then say; "Make sure you win three frames, yeah?" You couldn't be sure he would win three frames, and there's no point in bribing somebody to lose if part of it is then left to chance.

They've either got to both have been in on it, or neither be in on it. It's different if you're being bribed to lose by whitewash, by a non-specific score of just to lose an individual frame. But I'm not sure that was the case.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:

What I don't understand is why Maguire never got blighted as much as the same accusation.

I mean, wasn't the accusation that Burnett was paid to lose 9-3? If you're going to pay somebody to lose a match by a certain score, wouldn't both players need to be in on it? (Unless you bribed somebody to lose 9-0, obviously.) Why would you risk bribing Burnett to lose, and then say; "Make sure you win three frames, yeah?" You couldn't be sure he would win three frames, and there's no point in bribing somebody to lose if part of it is then left to chance.

They've either got to both have been in on it, or neither be in on it. It's different if you're being bribed to lose by whitewash, by a non-specific score of just to lose an individual frame. But I'm not sure that was the case.

Not necessarily one could easily hedge for the risk of the player not even winning three frames.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:Not necessarily one could easily hedge for the risk of the player not even winning three frames.

I suppose.

Am I remembering incorrectly, I thought they were both investigated for it?

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:

That's exactly how they do it.

Postby mick745

SnookerFan wrote:

An opponent could play brilliantly and stuff you 9-0 or 9-1 say. I suppose suspicion falls when your opponent doesnt play great and tou still contrive to lose by a big margin as happened to Peter Francisco v Jimmy that time. From 2-2 he played terribly but White was not much better and gifted him loafs of chances which he didnt take.

Of course players do collapse in matches and have days when the cant pot a ball.

But surely a professional player can spot a mile off an opponent not trying his best or even deliberately missing shots?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Not necessarily one could easily hedge for the risk of the player not even winning three frames.

I suppose.

They were both questioned by police. No charges were brought against either.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:An opponent could play brilliantly and stuff you 9-0 or 9-1 say. I suppose suspicion falls when your opponent doesnt play great and tou still contrive to lose by a big margin as happened to Peter Francisco v Jimmy that time. From 2-2 he played terribly but White was not much better and gifted him loafs of chances which he didnt take.

Of course players do collapse in matches and have days when the cant pot a ball.

But surely a professional player can spot a mile off an opponent not trying his best or even deliberately missing shots?

Postby gallantrabbit

The last frame was as obvious or more as the Lee footage. He'd got his frames so was lunging at balls to let Maguire in. Damn sure Maguire was distracted and at 8-3 it was all too easy.
I'm pretty confident Maguire wasn't involved. In a best of 17 Burnett would have wanted to get his 3 frames fairly early but too till the tenth. After that it was about making it look as disputed as possible, and hoping Maguire hoovered up but he didn't. Remains a stain on the game unfortunately.

Postby shanew48

SnookerFan wrote:

I suppose.

Pretty obvious that they were more than likely both in on it but not enough evidence to charge either of them, guessing that there wasn't an obvious money trail back to them so they were smart in that sense and got away with it.