Post a reply

Losing interest in watching snooker

Postby chengdufan

I haven't watched much in the last couple of months. I'm sick of the best matches, especially the later stages and the finals, all being on at stupid o'clock. It's just not possible for me to watch games that start at 3 or 4am.
Even if it starts at 11pm, I'm lucky if I can watch the first four frames.

Watching the early matches for European tournaments and the late matches in Asia was great. What we have now, it's pretty rubbish.

Rant over. Sorry.

Re: Losing interest in watching snooker

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:I haven't watched much in the last couple of months. I'm sick of the best matches, especially the later stages and the finals, all being on at stupid o'clock. It's just not possible for me to watch games that start at 3 or 4am.

Watching the early matches for European tournaments and the late matches in Asia was great. What we have now, it's pretty rubbish.

Rant over. Sorry.

There is so much good old footage going up on YouTube, particularly from friend of the Island MJT_snooker) that even if you are struggling with the current set-up (understandable with the wall-to-wall saturated coverage, crowdless arenas & masked referees) you can lose yourself in a wave of nostalgia at a time convenient to you.

Given your sterling job on the Chengdu Rankings, I would have thought this was right up your street.

Postby McManusFan

chengdufan wrote:I haven't watched much in the last couple of months. I'm sick of the best matches, especially the later stages and the finals, all being on at stupid o'clock. It's just not possible for me to watch games that start at 3 or 4am.

Rant over. Sorry.

Sounds like the timezones are even more awkward for you than they are for me. I made the mistake of staying up to watch all of the PC final live, I enjoyed the match but felt awful the next day. I quite like the BBC tournaments, as I can set the coverage to download on the iPlayer (using a vpn) so you can catch up and pretend it's live.

Postby McManusFan

Dan-cat wrote:Most matches are uploaded to YouTube almost straight away. Often if I've been busy (hasnt happened during latest lockdown!) Then I will avoid the Island and all Social media to watch without knowing the result.

The problem I have with youtube, is that when you search for your match you have to avoid seeing the post match interview stuff popping up, or videos that cut straight to the decider. Lately there have been weird cropped videos with strange picture in picture videos of women chatting to the screen in the corner!

Postby LDS

SnookerFan wrote:What's short-form snooker?

I thought you meant like, best of seven matches when I read this. But the way people are talking, I guess I misunderstood.

It's where the uploader deletes all the content apart from the player playing the shot, so it's sort of like stop-motion shot-taking. You don't get the atmosphere, the commentary (maybe disrupted commentary), or people wandering round the table umm'ing and arr'ing over their shot and all that kind of stuff.

Postby SnookerEd25

So who does watache it? :chin:

I guess the answer to that would be people who wouldn't have the inclination (or ability) to post on a snooker forum.

The ADHD generation...

But the question remains ... do you think they watch the shootout in short form? :chin:

Postby LDS

SnookerEd25 wrote:So who does watache it? :chin:

I guess the answer to that would be people who wouldn't have the inclination (or ability) to post on a snooker forum.

The ADHD generation...

But the question remains ... do you think they watch the shootout in short form? :chin:

That might be who chooses to watch it, but I think it originated as a means to avoid copywrite protection and deletion, a means to disrupt the search-and-destroy algorithm.

And the problem still remains as it always has, that there's this massive chasm between the technology available to us and media corporation's willingness to adapt to it, particularly with sporting events.

You have the live show - fair enough - but they still don't show all the matches - no longer fair enough.

What happens when the match ends? All footage is 'lost forever' into the corporations archives, never to be seen again - no longer fair enough.

What if they show repeats later? The big deal here is how much later and why does it have to be later, why can it not be in immediately viewable storage from the moment the match? For at least a week if it's a bandwidth issue.

Why do all the corporations insist on having all their historical sporting footage permanently locked away in pointless digital storerooms, just occasionally throwing one up on air for 'special occasions'?

They say that private enterprise is beneficial over state-owned monopolies because only private enterprise can innovate and keep progress going forward without being stuck in a dogma, and yet the BBC's iPlayer and Red Button service and all etc are leaps and bounds ahead of other streaming products - so there must be a financial incentive to being technologically backwards when it comes to airing sporting events.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What's short-form snooker?

I thought you meant like, best of seven matches when I read this. But the way people are talking, I guess I misunderstood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VfUGRZllc

That's ridiculous. It says it's the whole match, then it takes most of the match out?

Postby Iranu

Scooper wrote:It’ll get more interesting when Bingtao smashes the game in coming months / years.

Hot take: it won’t

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dan-cat wrote:Most matches are uploaded to YouTube almost straight away. Often if I've been busy (hasnt happened during latest lockdown!) Then I will avoid the Island and all Social media to watch without knowing the result.

Most of the uploads are short versions. Buck the uploaders.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:

I take it your video won't be short-form?

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Is this one of your uploads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnKll5JCgNg