Post a reply

Best break.

Postby Running side

Wondering how members built up to their best break, gradually 10 point increase over time or suddenly big jump, myself attieved 30 breaks early in playing time, not playing regularly and non league took 10 years to get a 52,changed cue after 30 years,second session 79 break from nowhere, not that happy with cue upto that frame. Since then 2years ago struggled to top 30,doing my head in,not played since August so no idea what to expect next game.

Re: Best break.

Postby rekoons

Running side wrote:changed cue after 30 years,second session 79 break from nowhere, not that happy with cue upto that frame. Since then 2years ago struggled to top 30,doing my head in,.

I can imagine :-(

I seem forever stuck in the 20 - 30 range

I think the first 5-10 years playing very sporadic as a student never beat a 24 or something.
Then, 10 years ago or so, after playing more regularly for a few months made a 36. Life was good, playing for fun not giving any thought about technique.
Never beat that again, altough a few weeks ago managed a 32 out of nowhere on a table with much tighter pockets.

Postby Running side

When clubs reopen be interesting to see if players can return to their old standard, I seemed to like a lay off,over summer and play well first few games.

Postby gallantrabbit

I don't really remember the evolution...just know I missed a dolly black on 99 (high black off its spot a la Doherty failed 147) before getting my first ton a couple of weeks later, (109) My first and only total clearance 132, was completed using those awful long rests, snicking the black into the right side bottom pocket.
My 134 wasn't a total, only 14 reds. That was probably 30 years ago...
I was up to 60s and 70s before this last lockdown, but would love more tons. Open up Boris!!

Postby Running side

Living in Sheffield snooker still very popular, when worlds on hard to get any table time, I'm not sure my game going to improve due to eyesight and age and lockdown, used to target a ton before finishing no chance now.

Postby rekoons

gallantrabbit wrote:I don't really remember the evolution...just know I missed a dolly black on 99 (high black off its spot a la Doherty failed 147) before getting my first ton a couple of weeks later, (109) My first and only total clearance 132, was completed using those awful long rests, snicking the black into the right side bottom pocket.
I was up to 60s and 70s before this last lockdown, but would love more tons. Open up Boris!!

What aspect of your game or technique would you say deteriorates first, or is holding you back from making tons now instead of current 60s and 70s?

Is it fine touch needed for position that goes away first? I can't imagine it's the aiming or potting since you've proven to have been at the highrst standard when you made a total clearance in my opinion?

Postby Dragonfly

I got to breaks of 20 quickly. Moved on to 30s a while later. Made 30s on a regular basis then. Managed to make a few 50s on very good days. But seemed to be permanently in the 30-40 range.

Haven't played in a long while. I think if I made a high 20 now I would be happy. Still kinda ok at pool but I guess anyone who was ever half decent at snooker will be able to play pool forever

Postby Dan-cat

gallantrabbit wrote:I don't really remember the evolution...just know I missed a dolly black on 99 (high black off its spot a la Doherty failed 147) before getting my first ton a couple of weeks later, (109) My first and only total clearance 132, was completed using those awful long rests, snicking the black into the right side bottom pocket.

This is ace. :hatoff:

Postby Prop

I was knocking 20s in when I was mid-teens, but I never really ‘went to play snooker’. My dad was in the fire service and they had a table at the station!

Then when I was a bit older started playing more regularly, and got a 65 in my late 20s/early 30s. Had a few 50 odds but probably not in the last ten years. So yeah, my best break is 65.

Interesting what’s been said about playing well after a layoff. I couldn’t play for 18 months after shoulder surgery, but first frame back had a 40 odd. Played really well (for my usual standard) all day, and then a week later couldn’t make 24 <laugh>

I can’t wait to get back at it. My game has dropped a bit, especially log pots, but I genuinely feel there’s a ton in me one day.

Great thread, btw.

Postby Running side

Enjoying reading others experiences, a member at my local club achieved a great break of 82 in his 82 year,good target for us over 60s.

Postby HustleKing

I played an equally silt friend once for fun and I managed to pot the final black ball! :D

Postby chengdufan

Thanks everyone for sharing. I've enjoyed reading this thread.

I played quite often in my teens. Well, 2-3 times per month. A 10+ break was a very rare event. A 5 ball 12 break from then lives long in the memory. We'd play on Friday nights and it was more about getting drunk than playing snooker.

Didn't play again till about 2013 when I was in my early 30s. Played about 6 times that year and don't remember getting a 10+.

Have been playing regularly since 2017 (once or twice a month). For the first couple of years I saw gradual improvement, and by late 2018 was getting one or two 10+ breaks every 3-5 frame session.

I hit a 25 last year, my one and only 20+. Since then have been getting a 10+ in most frames :-)

I'm pretty good at most sports I play, particularly football and table tennis. It's a shame I'm hopeless at my favourite!

Postby Dan-cat

Running side wrote:Enjoying reading others experiences, a member at my local club achieved a great break of 82 in his 82 year,good target for us over 60s.

This is brilliant!

Postby Dan-cat

Yup, I've got twentyitus. Regularly make 20s, well prob two or three a session, in a best of 5. The odd 30+. I missed a sitter of a blue for 40 last year. The guy I was playing against was jumping up and down in front of the pocket cheering me, saying over and over again how well I was playing, but of course on reflection this was a Wenbo style hustle. He succeeded in putting me off.

I had a 50+ when I was 20 (28 years ago!) but I never counted it because it was bolted together by an outrageous fluke.

Postby Running side

Some of my best breaks have included a fluke, did I feel guilty, no way,they all count,eg,,Cliff Thorburn 147 crucible first red.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:Yup, I've got twentyitus. Regularly make 20s, well prob two or three a session, in a best of 5. The odd 30+. I missed a sitter of a blue for 40 last year. The guy I was playing against was jumping up and down in front of the pocket cheering me, saying over and over again how well I was playing, but of course on reflection this was a Wenbo style hustle. He succeeded in putting me off.

I had a 50+ when I was 20 (28 years ago!) but I never counted it because it was bolted together by an outrageous fluke.

It counts <ok> And I think you and I would have quite a competitive game by the sounds of it!

Postby Running side

Regarding lucky or unlucky breaks, used to take my elderly uncle for a weekly game, he had dementia but still enjoyed the game, would always keep count and respot balls,he played an old fashioned style, never used side or screw shots but still managed 20+ breaks,this particular afternoon i found some form,coming to the table with 10 reds all available fancied something special, after potting 6 reds left a long but easy brown,had to use fishing tackle, uncle while repotting brown helped guide rest back, continuing with break 62 and counting did a scan of remaining balls, calculated enough for 102. Potted 3 more reds colours getting really nervous, 4 guys on ajoining tables stopped to watch, deep breath planning route,whereas BROWN gone?absolutely gutted, checked all pockets, underneath table, nothing, 2guys wondered off embarrassed, uncle upset, thinking back to potting brown with rest .unfortunately in his kind nature to help return rest,he put BROWN in his cardigan pocket and forgot. I told him I wasn't bothered because he's devastated. Played 1 more frame took him home, explaining to my aunt what had happened, he could not remember anything, which helped me.

Postby Prop

Running side wrote:Regarding lucky or unlucky breaks, used to take my elderly uncle for a weekly game, he had dementia but still enjoyed the game, would always keep count and respot balls,he played an old fashioned style, never used side or screw shots but still managed 20+ breaks,this particular afternoon i found some form,coming to the table with 10 reds all available fancied something special, after potting 6 reds left a long but easy brown,had to use fishing tackle, uncle while repotting brown helped guide rest back, continuing with break 62 and counting did a scan of remaining balls, calculated enough for 102. Potted 3 more reds colours getting really nervous, 4 guys on ajoining tables stopped to watch, deep breath planning route,whereas BROWN gone?absolutely gutted, checked all pockets, underneath table, nothing, 2guys wondered off embarrassed, uncle upset, thinking back to potting brown with rest .unfortunately in his kind nature to help return rest,he put BROWN in his cardigan pocket and forgot. I told him I wasn't bothered because he's devastated. Played 1 more frame took him home, explaining to my aunt what had happened, he could not remember anything, which helped me.

This is hilarious and tragic in equal measure <laugh>

Postby Holden Chinaski

Prop wrote:
Running side wrote:Regarding lucky or unlucky breaks, used to take my elderly uncle for a weekly game, he had dementia but still enjoyed the game, would always keep count and respot balls,he played an old fashioned style, never used side or screw shots but still managed 20+ breaks,this particular afternoon i found some form,coming to the table with 10 reds all available fancied something special, after potting 6 reds left a long but easy brown,had to use fishing tackle, uncle while repotting brown helped guide rest back, continuing with break 62 and counting did a scan of remaining balls, calculated enough for 102. Potted 3 more reds colours getting really nervous, 4 guys on ajoining tables stopped to watch, deep breath planning route,whereas BROWN gone?absolutely gutted, checked all pockets, underneath table, nothing, 2guys wondered off embarrassed, uncle upset, thinking back to potting brown with rest .unfortunately in his kind nature to help return rest,he put BROWN in his cardigan pocket and forgot. I told him I wasn't bothered because he's devastated. Played 1 more frame took him home, explaining to my aunt what had happened, he could not remember anything, which helped me.

This is hilarious and tragic in equal measure <laugh>

Indeed, what a story! <laugh>

Postby Running side

Still keeps me awake some nights.

Postby Running side

Just remembering another occasion, mate delayed for booked table, potting a few balls guy on next table practicing asking if fancied a knock,seen this lad play from a distance new he was a player, to say he was big difficult to say but easily twice mr Lee. He made a great opening red and continued his break now over 80 frame won, his next shot needed long stretch upto near blue spot he struggled to reach doing so belly hovering over green, lunging made pot,stood up,was just about to tell him I think you touched green when I saw it lodged in his belly button. Has anyone else experienced this. Enjoy lunch.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Running side wrote:Just remembering another occasion, mate delayed for booked table, potting a few balls guy on next table practicing asking if fancied a knock,seen this lad play from a distance new he was a player, to say he was big difficult to say but easily twice mr Lee. He made a great opening red and continued his break now over 80 frame won, his next shot needed long stretch upto near blue spot he struggled to reach doing so belly hovering over green, lunging made pot,stood up,was just about to tell him I think you touched green when I saw it lodged in his belly button. Has anyone else experienced this. Enjoy lunch.

rofl

Postby Dan-cat

Running side wrote:Some of my best breaks have included a fluke, did I feel guilty, no way,they all count,eg,,Cliff Thorburn 147 crucible first red.

I think if I then started making 50s regularly i would have counted it but i was stuck in the 30s. Shortly after I left my home town of Harrogate for uni in London and didn't play snooker for years, I switched to pool (or rather returned to it.)

Postby gallantrabbit

rekoons wrote:

What aspect of your game or technique would you say deteriorates first, or is holding you back from making tons now instead of current 60s and 70s?

Is it fine touch needed for position that goes away first? I can't imagine it's the aiming or potting since you've proven to have been at the highest standard when you made a total clearance in my opinion?

My main problem was not playing for 20 years...I used to play 4 hours a day minimum and then was away for 20 years, (not banged up ;-) ).
I've been back playing now for 2 and a half years but never with the sort of table time as before. In a strange way I'm more excited about getting back to playing after last week. I'm not normally wild about watching Higgins but his show of concentration, (added to a technical change) has inspired me. Concentration is so key and as we get older we have too many distractions. Will try to focus from now on for my snooker time.

Postby Running side

Mr Gallent quoted, not banged up,and slipped strange way into next line.

Postby Prop

Running side wrote:Mr Gallent quoted, not banged up,and slipped strange way into next line.

Very good :-D

Freudian slip, or clever wordplay...?