Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby LDS

Yes, very similar, but halfway between Dairylea and Mayonnaise in texture. It's not at all posh, but was very much the in-thing at all 1970s parties as a must have accompaniment to most hors d'oeuvres.

I was instructed to go and buy some cheese today by coincidence & the other soft cheeses they had other than Brie were good ol' Camembert and another one called Port Salut.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:gruyere

A fantastic Swiss hard cheese. But not correct.

Always thought Gruyere was Dutch :chin:

Either way, it is a good cheese <ok>

Postby HappyCamper

McManusFan wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Roquefort?

Is this wrong?

Sorry. Alas tis wrong, Roquefort is made with ewe's milk.

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:Using the plural 'yous' is a peculiarity of Cumbrian English I believe.

We do that in Scotland too.

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Using the plural 'yous' is a peculiarity of Cumbrian English I believe.

?

Happy Camper mentioned ewe's milk. Reminded me of the Cumbrians I know who oddly say things like 'are yous going to watch the snooker?' when addressing more than one person.

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:
LDS wrote:

?

Happy Camper mentioned ewe's milk. Reminded me of the Cumbrians I know who oddly say things like 'are yous going to watch the snooker?' when addressing more than one person.

Ah, I get'cha <ok>

Postby HappyCamper

The answer was reblochon. I've just had some for lunch, topping a puy lentil stew and finished under the broiler. New question.

Reblochon comes from the Savoy region of France. Savoy was ceded to France along with Nice in which 19th century treaty, named for the northern Italian city in which it was signed?

Postby SnookerEd25

As Delboy once said, “Bonjour Trieste”

I’ll go Trieste, that’s Northern right?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:As Delboy once said, “Bonjour Trieste”

I’ll go Trieste, that’s Northern right?

trieste is northern; in the northeast near the slovene border. but not the correct answer.

chengdufan wrote:I'll guess Turin. Biggest Italian city near France I can think of...

it is indeed torino. signed in 1860 by napolean iii of france and the count of cavour, the prime minister of sardinia.

Postby chengdufan

Ooh, a lucky guess for once!

I'll throw in an easier one.

What are the names of the two most successful football clubs that play in Turin?

Postby chengdufan

Good try, but Lazio is in Rome (or Rome is in Lazio depending on your perspective)

Postby SnookerEd25

Juventus have win the last 9 Serie A championships, and a whopping 36 overall (not surprisingly the most in Italy, double that of the next most decorated club side, AC Milan).

Torino have won it on seven occasions, but when was their last title success?

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:1991

Older. I believe (I’ll double check) Sampdoria won their only title in ‘91

Postby SnookerEd25

Confirmed :

Sampdoria were champs in ‘91 and it was their only title to date.

Postby Juddernaut88

Did Sampdoria have David Platt in there team in the early 90s? Maybe I'm thinking of another Italian team lol

Postby HappyCamper

The Superga air disaster was 1949. Most of their greatest team died in that. I think they has secured the title, so 1949.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:1983
Did Sampdoria have David Platt in there team in the early 90s? Maybe I'm thinking of another Italian team lol

I suppose you might have been a wee bit young to remember the epic 1995 Cup-winners-cup semi-final between Arsenal & Sampdoria; first leg 3-2 at Highbury (to the Arsenal), Samp took an early lead in the second and would have gone through on away goals if they’d held on (Italian sides being known for defending that kind of lead) which they were doing comfortably until Ian Wright prodded an equaliser from a corner with about 20 to go. Samp then scored a deflected free-kick with about 5mins left, and deftly picked Arsenal off on the break as the Gunners threw everyone forward to lead 3-1 and that looked to be that with the game heading into stoppage time. But Stefan Schwarz somehow scuffed in a free-kick to take it to extra-time (5-5 agg, with 2 away goals each), and the Gunners won a penalty shootout thanks to David Seaman making three world-class saves (the ladt being the best).

Breathtaking stuff, look at the highlights on YouTube.

David Platt was in the Sampdoria squad that season, missed the first leg injured but I think he played in the second, and then signed for Arsenal 3 months later in the close season.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:The Superga air disaster was 1949. Most of their greatest team died in that. I think they has secured the title, so 1949.

Torino did dominate the immediate post-war oeriod in Italy; their title win in 1949 was their fourth straight since the resumption of competitive football after the war, and that team was indeed wiped out by the Superga disaster which ended their superiority.

But they have won Serie A once since then, some years after that...