Post a reply

Tour Championship will be at Celtic Manor

Postby Iranu

From Phil Haigh on the Talking Snooker podcast, the Tour Championship will be played at Celtic Manor.

Good to have another tournament out of Milton Keynes.

Re: Tour Championship will be at Celtic Manor

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:From Phil Haigh on the Talking Snooker podcast, the Tour Championship will be played at Celtic Manor.

Good to have another tournament out of Milton Keynes.

I did wonder if they'd do this when they moved the Welsh. It seemed silly to move all that way for just one tournament. Far easier this way.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Oh hang on, I'm getting my tournaments mixed up.

So it's The Tour Championships that's at Celtic Manor? Not the Players Championships?

Correct.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

So it's The Tour Championships that's at Celtic Manor? Not the Players Championships?

Correct.

I just misread it earlier.

Keeping it at the PC seemed the more logical option, being that they were already there yesterday.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Correct.

I just misread it earlier.

Keeping it at the PC seemed the more logical option, being that they were already there yesterday.

I did too. Easily done :emb:

Postby PLtheRef

TheRocket wrote:anyone knows if the final is bo19 again? It would be a pity because bo25 and three sessions would be so much better. As it showed in 2019. Semis bo19 was also unique.

I would like to hope that it would go back to being Best of 25 Frames, because it's meant to be a long format event and that a three-session contest can swing back and forth much more so than a best of 19 match. Add to the fact that a few of these kinds of events have been touted as having longer Finals, e.g. 21, 23 or 25 and yet when it comes to it ends up being a best of 19 match it'd be a shame to lose what would be the only Final longer than two sessions outside of the World Championship.

That said, I'm not expecting it to be much different to 2020 given that the tournament is scheduled for 7 days like last year. - If it has to be one match per day, I'd like to be 17 frames, 19 frames and 21 frames but I'm not having much expectation unless there's something I've not factored in.

Postby PLtheRef

Nice to see the Celtic Manor being used again. It's somewhere different to Milton Keynes but I'm assuming it also has very similar facilities (in terms of a Hotel on site)

Postby Iranu

PLtheRef wrote:Nice to see the Celtic Manor being used again. It's somewhere different to Milton Keynes but I'm assuming it also has very similar facilities (in terms of a Hotel on site)

According to Phil Haigh, the hotel itself isn’t in operation so the players weren’t actually staying on-site.

Regarding the Tour Championship, wasn’t it six or seven days in 2019, too? I don’t think I was ever entirely clear on why they shortened it last year.

Postby PLtheRef

Iranu wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Nice to see the Celtic Manor being used again. It's somewhere different to Milton Keynes but I'm assuming it also has very similar facilities (in terms of a Hotel on site)

According to Phil Haigh, the hotel itself isn’t in operation so the players weren’t actually staying on-site.

Regarding the Tour Championship, wasn’t it six or seven days in 2019, too? I don’t think I was ever entirely clear on why they shortened it last year.

Ah, that's interesting - I'd assumed one of the reasons why the Welsh Open had been moved had partly been down to the fact that players could stay on-site.

The 2019 Tour Championship was played over six days - with the First Round matches being played on the two-table set-up. The sessions of the First Round matches were scheduled similar to the Crucible QF's to ensure that the only session with two finishes was the one featuring the last two First Round matches to complete.

I think the reason why matches were shortened to 17, 17 and 19 last years was due to trying to minimise players on-site and using just the single table. Hence why the event was in effect 7 days rather than 6.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

I assumed the in house hotel was the point in being there.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I assumed the in house hotel was the point in being there.

I guess a Welsh venue having enough room for all the players was the bigger factor. Obviously if they could’ve stayed on-site it would have been ideal. I don’t know where they actually stayed.