Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Final !!!!!

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Don't be ridiculous Wild.

Johnson winning the 1986 was a far bigger shock. it's the world title for christ sake, beating prime Steve Davis in a World Final, it doesn't come bigger than that.

Not even close mate Johnson was a top 16 player and 150-1 Jordan was 750-1 before a ball was potted ranked 81 and playing Ronnie O'Sullivan in the final.

Cant believe you thought Johnson winning the WC was a bigger surprise rofl rofl rofl

Postby Iranu

I can see Andre’s logic because it’s the Worlds and only really great players win it. But as I said before, Johnson isn’t even the biggest shock winner of the Worlds let alone any tournament.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:Interesting stat. I was looking at Ronnies wikipedia page and 15 of the 19 ranking finals he's lost was over bo17/first to 9 distance.

He also lost 5 sonsecutive bo17 finals now but he keeps winning the bo19 and longer finals. A pattern throughout his career from what I've seen.

Yeah that is weird, well spotted :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:I agree with Wild.

Johnson may have been a shock but he was a top 16 player. Murphy and Griffiths are both bigger World Championship shocks, for a start.

Yea they were shocks but Neither won a final against a Legend Griffiths v Taylor and Murphy v Stevens was close looking matches even at the time..

Dennis did not win a pro title until 1980 and that was the Irish Pro Championship.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Interesting stat. I was looking at Ronnies wikipedia page and 15 of the 19 ranking finals he's lost was over bo17/first to 9 distance.

He also lost 5 sonsecutive bo17 finals now but he keeps winning the bo19 and longer finals. A pattern throughout his career from what I've seen.

Yeah that is weird, well spotted :hatoff:

That's crazy when you think about it.

2 more frames, Best of 19 instead of Best of 17 do make a massive difference. But also the main explanation might be the most important titles usually have a Best of 19 or above, and I'm happy to see he wins most of those.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:

Johnson may have been a shock but he was a top 16 player. Murphy and Griffiths are both bigger World Championship shocks, for a start.

Yea they were shocks but Neither won a final against a Legend Griffiths v Taylor and Murphy v Stevens was close looking matches even at the time..

Dennis did not win a pro title until 1980 and that was the Irish Pro Championship.

They’re made to look less shocking by what the winner did afterwards.

You can’t seriously tell me Stevens wasn’t huge favourite in 2005, “bottler” or not?

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Was a 17-year-old Ronnie O'Sullivan beating prime Hendry in a UK Championship final not a bigger shock?

Probably.

It's hard to judge how much of a shock something is in retrospect. I wasn't following the sport in those days, so it would be easy for me to look back and say it wasn't that surprising because of how good we now know Ronnie is. But without the benefit of hindsight, it would've been a massive surprise in those days.

Similarly, looking back at the 1986 World Championship, it could be easy to dismiss Joe Johnson's win as not that shocking because he was a member of the top-16. Surely, if you're ranked that high you always have a sniff of a chance. But that doesn't take into account how different the times were in those days. There wasn't the strength in depth there is now. And anybody beating Steve Davis was considered an upset, let alone somebody who had never won a ranking title before and didn't again.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

They’re made to look less shocking by what the winner did afterwards.

You can’t seriously tell me Stevens wasn’t huge favourite in 2005, “bottler” or not?

Murphy's form throughout that tournament was such, that I don't think you could call him beating Stevens that much of an upset TBH. It was a 50/50 match in my eyes.

If I recall correctly, even the bookies only had Stevens a marginal favourite going into that match.
Last edited by Cloud Strife on 22 Feb 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Postby cupotee

Holden Chinaski wrote:Was a 17-year-old Ronnie O'Sullivan beating prime Hendry in a UK Championship final not a bigger shock?

neal foulds mentioned this i think last night but not in context of jordan brown's upset , he just made the point that o sullivan when he turned pro was already better than about 3/4's of the tour then , why isn't this reasonably obvious :-)

Postby SnookerFan

cupotee wrote:

neal foulds mentioned this i think last night but not in context of jordan brown's upset , he just made the point that o sullivan when he turned pro was already better than about 3/4's of the tour then , why isn't this reasonably obvious :-)

Yes, didn't Ronnie win something like 94 of his first 96 matches, or something? That's a fair point you make.

It doesn't help that sometimes the media hype this things up a bit too much. When Bingham was playing Murphy in the Crucible final, the BBC made out that Bingham beating Murphy was some huge upset, comparing it to the Joe Johnson win. Obviously, it was something of an upset in the sense that pre-tournament literally nobody would've picked Bingham as amongst the favourites. But when it came to the final itself it was the World Number 10 who had already won two ranking events in his career, beating the World Number 8. Hardly the same thing as some unknown or somebody massively down the rankings winning the whole thing.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:I agree with Wild, I think last night's match was the biggest shock ever in a ranking final.

A 17-year-old beating prime Hendry in a UK final is definitely the biggest upset in my opinion. Ronnie also beat Steve Davis in that tournament.

Postby cupotee

SnookerFan wrote:
cupotee wrote:

Yes, didn't Ronnie win something like 94 of his first 96 matches, or something? That's a fair point you make.

It doesn't help that sometimes the media hype this things up a bit too much. When Bingham was playing Murphy in the Crucible final, the BBC made out that Bingham beating Murphy was some huge upset, comparing it to the Joe Johnson win. Obviously, it was something of an upset in the sense that pre-tournament literally nobody would've picked Bingham as amongst the favourites. But when it came to the final itself it was the World Number 10 who had already won two ranking events in his career, beating the World Number 8. Hardly the same thing as some unknown or somebody massively down the rankings winning the whole thing.

snooker's better without the media , just enjoy the streams on betting sites at work or at home , no unnecessary superficiality ( nice word ) its bliss :-)

Postby Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I agree with Wild, I think last night's match was the biggest shock ever in a ranking final.

A 17-year-old beating prime Hendry in a UK final is definitely the biggest upset in my opinion. Ronnie also beat Steve Davis in that tournament.

It's also still a record to this day.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
That's crazy when you think about it.

2 more frames, Best of 19 instead of Best of 17 do make a massive difference. But also the main explanation might be the most important titles usually have a Best of 19 or above, and I'm happy to see he wins most of those.

Difference is huge.
Ronnies record in bo19 or longer ranking event finals: 21:3

Ronnies record in bo17 or shorter ranking event finals: 16:16

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Trust me, even as a 17 year old, Ronnie’s ability was already well-known. It was a shock yes, but not the biggest. Not by a long shot.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Trust me, even as a 17 year old, Ronnie’s ability was already well-known. It was a shock yes, but not the biggest. Not by a long shot.

Still the youngest ever to win a ranking title and Hendry had the invincible aura back in the day. Nobody was backing Ronnie to beat Hendry in the final.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Still the youngest ever to win a ranking title and Hendry had the invincible aura back in the day. Nobody was backing Ronnie to beat Hendry in the final. Also, Jordan's win was very impressive but Ronnie is 45 years old now and it's the Welsh not the UK. .

Postby SnookerFan

Word number 81 Jordan Brown became the lowest-ranked player in 28 years to win a ranking title with a shock 9-8 Welsh Open victory over Ronnie O'Sullivan.

The Northern Irishman kept his nerve in the deciding frame, after O'Sullivan had levelled at 8-8 with a 119 break.

Brown, who lost the first three frames of the evening session to trail 6-5, regained his composure to claim the Ray Reardon trophy and £70,000 first prize.

"It was a privilege to just play Ronnie in a final," said the 33-year-old.

"I knew if I got over-awed about Ronnie I wouldn't win so I focused on my own game.

"I always believed in myself, I've had some dark days but those make you stronger as a player and a person.

"Five years ago I told myself to give snooker a proper go and it is paying off now."

Brown becomes the first Northern Irishman, and lowest-ranked player, to be crowned Welsh Open champion.

He is also the lowest-ranked player to win a ranking title since Dave Harold won the 1993 Asia Open.

It has been a story of hard work and determination for Brown, who was only one match away from dropping off the tour a few months back and was working in a petrol station three years ago.

He continued his remarkable form in the tournament by taking a 4-1 lead in the afternoon session at Celtic Manor, Newport.

Brown, nicknamed the 'Antrim Ferrari', came racing out of the blocks in his first ranking event final to win the first two frames.

He looked relaxed and determined after taking an opening frame in which both players made errors.

O'Sullivan, made a 74 break in the third frame to make it 2-1 but Brown responded with a 78 break to lead 3-1 at the mid-session interval.

Brown won the fifth frame with a 107 break, but some sublime snooker by O'Sullivan followed as he reeled off breaks of 135 and 121 to win the sixth and seventh frames to reduce the deficit to 4-3.

The Northern Irishman, however, claimed frame number eight to lead 5-3 at the end of the afternoon session.

O'Sullivan came out in the evening session looking focused and took the ninth frame to reduce the deficit.

He soon levelled the match at 5-5 after making a 68 break, then went in front, taking the next frame with a break of 61 after Brown had missed a red to the centre left pocket.

Frame 12 was a tense battle but Brown held his nerve to level back at 6-6 before the mid-session interval.

A calm Brown took advantage of a frustrated O'Sullivan to take the 13th frame, but the experienced Englishman responded with a classy 57 break - including nine blues and one yellow - to level the match at 7-7.

O'Sullivan missed the pink with 25 points on the board to hand Brown the chance to steal the next frame, which he did with a 56 break.

However, the world champion fought back with a 116 break to make it 8-8 and force a final frame decider.

Brown kept his cool in the deciding frame, despite an early fluke from O'Sullivan, to be crowned Welsh Open champion.

"I've enjoyed every minute of it," said O'Sullivan.

"Jordan is a great guy and I'm so happy for him to win.

"I fluked the red in the final frame and I could see the disappointment in his eyes and that would have been a horrible way to win.

"I played all right and not many people beat me when I play all right - but I couldn't be happier for him."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/56142654

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Oh come on Holden <laugh> Ronnie doesn’t need every accolade!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

I'm not trying to take anything away from Jordan, it was a magnificent performance. But if I'm honest I think beating prime Hendry in a UK final when you're 17 is just a little more impressive. But it doesn't matter, what Jordan did was brilliant.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

I'm not trying to take anything away from Jordan, it was a magnificent performance. But if I'm honest I think beating prime Hendry in a UK final when you're 17 is just a little more impressive. But it doesn't matter, what Jordan did was brilliant.

Beating Ronnie in a tournament final isn't impressive because of the.....

DECLINE!

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

I agree it’s more impressive, I don’t think that makes it a bigger shock, though. People knew how good Ronnie was even then and he was expected to do great things in the game. Even then he was ranked 57.

Jordan’s 33 years old, ranked 81 and wasn’t really expected to do anything but be a journeyman at best.

Postby Alex0paul

O’Sullivan was 1/14 to win with the bookies. I have never seen anyone with such short odds as that not win a snooker final