Poll ended at 22 Feb 2021

Green
28%
Brown
22%
Yellow
50%

Total votes : 18

Re: What is your favourite baulk colour?

Postby eraserhead

Dan-cat wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Yellow. No science to back it up but my gut tells me the green is the least used colour on the table.

I think more likely brown?

My gut says no.

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I do seem to pot a lot of browns. I remember once in a frame potting 5 or 6 browns.

Was brown on the black or pink spot?

I remember Higgins going about a break with yellow on the black spot, it was really nicely controlled but got him bugger all points.

Postby Dan-cat

Dan-cat wrote:'The smallest fruit can be the sweetest' Ted Lowe

I'm not sure if this was Ted Lowe but it was a definitely one of the old timer snooker heads. I like tge sentiment though - the baulk colours can get you out of trouble and keep the break going

Postby Juddernaut88

McManusFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I do seem to pot a lot of browns. I remember once in a frame potting 5 or 6 browns.

I remember Higgins going about a break with yellow on the black spot, it was really nicely controlled but got him bugger all points.

It was on the brown spot. It wasn't part of a break though just thought the frame. I think I have made a 15 break a few times though which was 3 reds and 3 browns.

Postby Johnny Bravo

eraserhead wrote:Yellow. No science to back it up but my gut tells me the green is the least used colour on the table.

That's cause it's harder to pot because it has the same color as the table. At least for me

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

It was on the brown spot. It wasn't part of a break though just thought the frame. I think I have made a 15 break a few times though which was 3 reds and 3 browns.

Pretty impressive, the best I've managed was one red, one black.

Postby eraserhead

Johnny Bravo wrote:

That's cause it's harder to pot because it has the same color as the table. At least for me

We now have the science.

Postby Alex0paul

Dan-cat wrote:Yellow is also the colour of daffodils!

My daffodil run will be up on Twitter on Wednesday

Postby acesinc

I don't understand why Brown occupies the cellar in this poll. When I learned the Game (practically in the days of ivory), I was taught an axiom, "Black is primary, Blue is secondary, Pink is tertiary. When in trouble, run to Baulk." The implication is that Baulk is something of a safehaven, especially when calculating a shot to nothing. The modern safety game runs the White as near as possible to the Baulk cushion, with little expectation of a pot on a given shot to nothing. The original Joe Davis method was to challenge the opponent with a shot to nothing; that is, plan to leave the White somewhere between the Blue spot and the Baulk line. If you miss your pot, your opponent is left with a medium-longish pot attempt and fair play to him if he succeeds. But if (and when) you pot your shot to nothing, simply choose which of the Baulk colours is most ideally situated to play White back up the table to the scoring position. I have always thought of the Baulk colours collectively; sort of a single giant ball that makes positioning extremely easy. Just run the White somewhere rather close to that area and simply select whichever of the Baulk colours is best suited for your situation. Of course, Brown scores the most points so best if you can leave on Brown always in those situations, but I have also always found Brown to be actually the easiest to pot of the three, probably because it plays to the most open possible pocket. So while I would not be so specific to call the Brown quaternary after the Black, Blue, and Pink, I would definitely call it my favourite of the Baulk colours.

Postby vodkadiet1

acesinc wrote:I don't understand why Brown occupies the cellar in this poll. When I learned the Game (practically in the days of ivory), I was taught an axiom, "Black is primary, Blue is secondary, Pink is tertiary. When in trouble, run to Baulk." The implication is that Baulk is something of a safehaven, especially when calculating a shot to nothing. The modern safety game runs the White as near as possible to the Baulk cushion, with little expectation of a pot on a given shot to nothing. The original Joe Davis method was to challenge the opponent with a shot to nothing; that is, plan to leave the White somewhere between the Blue spot and the Baulk line. If you miss your pot, your opponent is left with a medium-longish pot attempt and fair play to him if he succeeds. But if (and when) you pot your shot to nothing, simply choose which of the Baulk colours is most ideally situated to play White back up the table to the scoring position. I have always thought of the Baulk colours collectively; sort of a single giant ball that makes positioning extremely easy. Just run the White somewhere rather close to that area and simply select whichever of the Baulk colours is best suited for your situation. Of course, Brown scores the most points so best if you can leave on Brown always in those situations, but I have also always found Brown to be actually the easiest to pot of the three, probably because it plays to the most open possible pocket. So while I would not be so specific to call the Brown quaternary after the Black, Blue, and Pink, I would definitely call it my favourite of the Baulk colours.

Nice recall there. But also remember that yellow is the only primary baulk colour. It is also the colour that is easier to play for a left hander if conventionally placed for a clearance because you are playing it like a batsman plays to the legside in cricket. You effectively flick the yellow off of your pads before returning to your crease to play the more difficult offside green. Vice versa for a right hander.

-Wisden-

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:I suspect Yellow is scoring well with the lefties, as Vodka pointed out.

That's why I went for it <ok>

As a communist, can confirm voted yellow.

Postby GeF

The interesting things to know is :
Is there a difference if you are right-handed or left-handed ?
Yellow for lefties, green for righties ?

Postby vodkadiet1

GeF wrote:The interesting things to know is :
Is there a difference if you are right-handed or left-handed ?
Yellow for lefties, green for righties ?

The yellow is easier if you are left handed as your body is more in line with the yellow pocket providing the cue ball is in the middle of the table and midway between the blue and brown spot. Vice versa for the green and right handers.

If you are colour blind then the brown can be mistaken for a red and the green can be mistaken for the blue. This depends on the severity of your colour blindness.

The yellow also compliments the colour of the baize far more.
Last edited by vodkadiet1 on 23 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.