Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby HappyCamper

the inca grew potatoes in their mountain terrace farms. with different varieties grown at different elevations. so it seemed the best guess.

Postby HappyCamper

developed in the 1980s to market a variety of cheese; the alpine dish tartiflette is a gratin of potatoes, onion, bacon, cream and which soft cheese, made from unpasteurized cows' milk?

Postby SnookerEd25

I came across a recipe for Tartiflette within the last couple of weeks, I bookmarked it as ‘one to make’ and ...

...I can’t remember the cheese involved <doh>

Postby HappyCamper

camembert is a delicious soft cow cheese. but it originates in north france in normandy, not the mountains.

Postby HappyCamper

McManusFan wrote:Isn't it Taleggio? Might be misremembering though.

good guess, but not correct. a delightful product from lombardia in northern italy often used to enrich polenta.

Postby HappyCamper

McManusFan wrote:Just reread the question, sounds like a more modern cheese. Boursin?

not boursin, a brand of gournay cheese also from the north of france.

the cheese in question is a traditional cheese, and is protected by aoc (appellation d'origine contrôlée) certfication.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:
Iranu wrote:Brie

not brie, which is imaginatively from the brie region of northern france.

It was the best I had rofl

Postby LDS

I actually had some nice posh chesses very recently, I think last November. I bought a whole load of the most expensive and weird looking cheeses from Marks and Spencer's international cheeses 'finest' shelf. It included a posh French cream cheese encased inside a little wooden rounded box, but I have already long since forgotten what it was called. It tasted lovely though.

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
LDS wrote:Primula?

i think that's a flower? unless it's a cheese too. in either case no.

Looks like posh Dairylea in a tube.
Last edited by HappyCamper on 22 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.