Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby LDS

Wales is famous for having a place name that is regarded as the longest in the world, I'm sure you're familiar with it. But how much of it can you remember?

If no-one gets it perfectly right just from memory then the closest guess by close of snooker play today wins.

No chickening out just because you don't think you'll win, I wanna see everyone have good try at making their best pig's ear of it they possibly can... No wallflowers.

Postby SnookerEd25

My Grandma's party piece was to recite it after a few G&Ts...:chuckle:

Starts with LLANFAIRPWLL something something something, then ends in SILLIOGOGOGOCH

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:My Grandma's party piece was to recite it after a few G&Ts...:chuckle:

Starts with LLANFAIRPWLL something something something, then ends in SILLIOGOGOGOCH

The bit missing in the middle is phonetically something like ‘gillgarianllanti’. So...

Llanfairpwllgillgarianllantisilliogogogoch?

Postby SnookerEd25

Llanfair-PG is situated on the Isle of Anglesey off the north-west coast of Wales; what is the name of the 13th Century castle also found on the Island?

Postby Prop

Yeah that’s definitely Ed’s. All I did was fill the gap with nonsense <laugh>

As for castles on Anglesey, there are a couple on the mainland side of the Menai Straight; Caernarfon Castle being one of them. Then on the actual Anglesey side there’s one that begins with A and another that begins with B. I believe the one that begins with B is the answer. But that’s all I’ve got!

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:powis castle?

Powis is a beautiful castle, but its not far from the English border. Well worth a visit though, if you’re in the vicinity (when restrictions are lifted, of course) <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

It does start with Beau; couple that with name of Niles’ first wife in Frasier & you’re there!

Postby McManusFan

Needed the clue for that one.

The Maris Piper is an excellent potato, that I sadly can't get down here. The question is about potatoes in general.
What is the modern-day country from which the potato originates?