Post a reply

Selby: Hands off the World's

Postby Casey

From snooker scene blog - snookersceneblog.blogspot.com

Fair play to the organisers of Power Snooker. They have thrown considerable PR resources at the new innovation and it’s worked, resulting in an almost unprecedented amount of coverage in the newspapers for a new event.

Much of this has been misleading. Many journalists have claimed Barry Hearn is behind Power Snooker when in fact all he has done is sanctioned the event on behalf of World Snooker Ltd – and has elected not to personally invest in the company responsible for bringing it to our screens.

For a more sober view of Power Snooker, here’s Clive Everton in today’s Guardian.

My view of it is unchanged since it was launched. I think people should give it a chance. Despite what’s been written, it is not intended to replace traditional snooker.

It’ll most probably be a fun day for the players, spectators at the O2 in London and viewers on ITV4. Eurosport will also screen live coverage for those outside the UK.

But one of the negative by-products of the Power Snooker hype is the clamouring from apparently sensible players to shorten the World Championship.

As far as I’m concerned this is like saying 2+2 = 147.

For a start, Power Snooker hasn’t even been held yet and so can’t yet be described as a success.

Yet players like Neil Robertson, Shaun Murphy, Ronnie O’Sullivan and Jimmy White have called for alterations to the Crucible format, ranging from the shortening of matches, a one day final and the introduction of a shot clock.

One player who disagrees is Mark Selby. Writing on his personal blog today, he said: “Short-format tournaments like Power Snooker are interesting and create a lot of buzz, which is good for the game. There has been some debate lately about the World Championships, with some players saying the final should be shortened or the duration of the tournament reduced. I understand where they are coming from, but I don’t go along with it – it is what it is because it’s the World Championships.

“It’s the pinnacle of our sport and what makes it great is the test of duration over those 17 days. The only thing I would maybe consider is making the first couple of rounds a few frames shorter, and also starting the sessions in the final earlier than they do at the moment. Snooker fans love the game and I don’t think they are too bothered about how long the tournament goes on for, in fact, the longer they can see the top players in action, the better. No, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

What Selby has grasped is not just that the championship is supposed to be a proper test but that snooker’s great appeal is its slow burning drama and the capacity for fortunes to change over a longer distance.

Exhibit A: the 1985 world final.

Had that match been a best of 17 Steve Davis would have won easily, probably something like 9-1 or 9-2.

Had there been a shot clock would it have made the conclusion any more exciting?

There is room for innovation and different formats but people need to keep a sense of proportion.

The brains behind Power Snooker went out of their way at the launch to state that they were not trying to kill off traditional snooker, only to compliment it.

I agree with Selby that the odd tweak could be made to the Crucible format – the final should certainly start earlier – but a one day final?

Re: Selby: Hands off the World's

Postby SnookerFan

Now, there's somebody finally talking sense about Power Snooker. Mark Selby = :bowdown:

No problem with having it, but this great pretence that it's the future of snooker, or that there is something wrong with the Worlds just because Power Snooker has been invented, makes the people saying it look like plebs.

Postby GJ

robbo was misquoted

Postby Monique

Would still consider making the first rounds a few frames shorter and start finals earlier... if I read it right. Now making first round shorter than what it is really doesn't seem right to me if the length if the match is supposed to sort the men from the boys and rounds 2 and 3 are about just right with the first to 13. Round 2 maybe could be shortened to 2 sessions like round 1, at the limit. But for me there is defo no need to go to best of 17 or 18 to find out who is the best player. The last two rounds are too long and the semis take too much out of the players. I'm not a fan of tired snooker at all and I want to see better and closer finals.
Also nobody ever said something is wrong with the WC because Power Snooker has been invented. It has been said before Power Snooker was even mentioned, by Higgins in the first place. And anyway Power Snooker is not proposed as a replacement for snooker, it's a different form of the game and supposed to attract a different audience. It's an addition not a replacement, so I don't get all the furor some raise around it. You don't like it, don't watch.

Postby GJ

i think a day off before the final would be good

look at alot of sports like tennis grand slams players will always have at least 1 day off between semi's and final

Postby Monique

GJtheaussiestud wrote:i think a day off before the final would be good

look at alot of sports like tennis grand slams players will always have at least 1 day off between semi's and final

I agree with that, and I would leave the format unchanged IF the tournament could be spread over 3 weeks, ideally with a Sunday finish and earlier start of the evening sessions, especially the Final. But I doubt the BBC is prepared to accept that.
I've nothing against the format per se but I don't like what it does to the players and to their game in the final stages, as it is now.
Note that it has been the players who have won it, not the losers, who have come forward for a change. That alone should get fans thinking.

Postby Wildey

No change what so ever

no shortening of 1st round

no rest days

absalutly nothing sooner players and fans get that through their heads the more accepting id be to short formats and then we all can enjoy snooker.

Postby GJ

If it helps to improve the level of snooker in the semi's and final im all for small alterations preferably a day off between quarters and semi's and a day off between semi's and final.

My reasoning is that the format for round 1 and 2 and schedules are fine

its the time frame for the semi's and final hat could be altered

Postby Wildey

no nothing standard of snooker does not make standard of match when are people going to grasp that concept

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:No change what so ever

no rest days

absalutly nothing sooner players and fans get that through their heads the more accepting id be to short formats and then we all can enjoy snooker.

Stop being a dinosaur mate

all major sports make slight changes as time goes on and im not saying change frames

Postby Wildey

the Only thing i would Change is

a) Sessions of the Monday Final Starting Earlier

b) play more Frames on the Sunday of the Final.

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:

no rest days

all major sports make slight changes as time goes on and im not saying change frames

Rest Days are Crap mate that wont enhance the snooker that wont enhance the Tournament having Rest Days on a Bloody Weekend <doh>

Postby GJ

it makes no sense a player could play 19 frameson day 1 then have 4 full days off its very lop sided

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:

no rest days

Rest Days are Crap mate that wont enhance the snooker that wont enhance the Tournament having Rest Days on a Bloody Weekend <doh>

is thursday a weekend now i said bewteen quarters and semis as well :wave:

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:it makes no sense a player could play 19 frameson day 1 then have 4 full days off its very lop sided

thats how it is how can you change that Best of 19 or Best of 17 same amount of Sessions same amount of Time frame

Postby Monique

That rest day does not need to be on week-end. Actually if the Final ended on Sunday which would make a lot of sense if the game is going global, then it would be the Friday. And it could host the final of the Ladies, or the Seniors, or the Juniors (if that existed) ... a good opportunity to promote grassroots, or celebrate the players of the past or encourage more girls into our sport.

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:

no rest days

is thursday a weekend now i said bewteen quarters and semis as well :wave:

Rest Days are still rubbish no matter if its Monday,Tuesday,Wednsday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday or Sunday.

Its a test of Mind over Matter i never Noticed Hendry Winning 7 or Davis winning 6 Complaining does that meen the modern players Just cant hack it ?

Postby Roland

Well done Selby for kicking the bull into touch. Same goes for Hendon and Everton.

People who want to see the World Championships shortened are CLOWNS.

People who think Power Snooker is the future of snooker are CLOWNS.

People who think the shot clock should be introduced into regulation ranking tournaments are CLOWNS.

And that includes everyone. I am with Selby, Everton and the rest. Power Snooker is entertainment and should be enjoyed for what it is. Those who then think it proves the majors should be shortened deserve to be shot. Nothing annoys me more than idiots - and I don't use that word lightly - ruining events like the World Open and Power Snooker by making false claims about the rest of the game of snooker under the false pretence that they are backed up by these new formats. All it does is make those true snooker fans even less likely to embrace the new ideas and formats.

Postby GJ

ANOTHER EXCUSE TO BRING UP ERA'S

:zzz:

all sports evolve and make MINOR changes

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Well done Selby for kicking the bull into touch. Same goes for Hendon and Everton.

People who want to see the World Championships shortened are CLOWNS.

People who think Power Snooker is the future of snooker are CLOWNS.

People who think the shot clock should be introduced into regulation ranking tournaments are CLOWNS.

And that includes everyone. I am with Selby, Everton and the rest. Power Snooker is entertainment and should be enjoyed for what it is. Those who then think it proves the majors should be shortened deserve to be shot. Nothing annoys me more than idiots - and I don't use that word lightly - ruining events like the World Open and Power Snooker by making false claims about the rest of the game of snooker under the false pretence that they are backed up by these formats. All it does is make those true snooker fans even less likely to embrace the new ideas and formats.

how is wanting a couple of rest days shortening the worlds <laugh>

Postby Roland

Did I mention rest days?

Rest days are for wimps anyway. If you haven't got what it takes to last 17 days at the Crucible, then you're not a World Champion.

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:ANOTHER EXCUSE TO BRING UP ERA'S

:zzz:

all sports evolve and make MINOR changes

Remind me of that when Sodderling Loses in a best of 3 Set match at Wimbledon 1st and 2nd Round <ok>

There is a Rest Day at Wimbledon when i was a kid i hated them so bloody much i cant tell you the day i was off school there was no Tennis and have they changed it in the last 30 years no they havent still rest day.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Did I mention rest days?

Rest days are for wimps anyway. If you haven't got what it takes to last 17 days at the Crucible, then you're not a World Champion.

so nadal isnt a proper champion having rest days

fair point :wave: :afro:

Postby Wildey

Sonny

im with you 110% on this and if they Cut the first and second Round by a couple of Frames it would mean

Best of 17 2 session 1st Round
Best of 23 3 Session 2nd Round
Best of 25 3 Session Q/F
Best of 33 4 Session S/F
Best of 35 4 Session Final

in truth would it make a Difference ?

Clever Selby making it look that there would be a change but in reality there wouldn't so they might as well keep it as it is <ok>

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:Sonny

im with you 110% on this and if they Cut the first and second Round by a couple of Frames it would mean

Best of 17 2 session 1st Round
Best of 23 3 Session 2nd Round
Best of 25 3 Session Q/F
Best of 33 4 Session S/F
Best of 35 4 Session Final

in truth would it make a Difference ?

Clever Selby making it look that there would be a change but in reality there wouldn't so they might as well keep it as it is <ok>

frame format shouldnt be changed bad idea wild even suggesting it

<ok>

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:i did not sugest it selby did <ok>

:D

Postby Wildey

but point is what he said could be done and the only thing they should even start to consider when you look at it isnt worth to change.