Topic locked

Wild Cards!

Postby Wildey

what is the point awarding wild Cards to just anyone there was 35 year old playing in a Wild Card match in the World Series of Snooker what was the point ?

surely the idea of Wild Cards should be to give potential stars of the future a chance against the best. if there arent potential in that country fly people in from neighboring countries.

what was gained by Maguire beating a 35 year old lead singer with Grammy winning band Support Lesbiens 5-0 ? <doh>

Re: Wild Cards!

Postby Roland

They've probably only got 1 table in the Czech Republic and Support Lesbians had to cancel a gig on the condition their singer got to play some games.

Seriously though, very disappointing that the World Series this time hasn't brought out the crowds. I guess Prague needs a bit more time. But you don't know until you try and fair play to Higgins et al for trying. Over time they are pin pointing some hotspots for more events and also showing which places aren't yet ready.

Postby Wildey

absolutely

as long as they wont get disheartened and think whats the point.

its a great concept and i expect them to understand the pitfalls and see it as trial and error rather than disappointment.

but more has to be thought on wild cards.

Postby NedB-H

wildJONESEYE wrote:absolutely

as long as they wont get disheartened and think whats the point.

its a great concept and i expect them to understand the pitfalls and see it as trial and error rather than disappointment.

but more has to be thought on wild cards.

what problems have you got with the wildcards? I know people go on about the musician guy, but he is ranked 6 in the country, and got to the final of a national tournament two years back. It's not like they just handed a place to Robbie Williams or something.
And the other 3 were a 29 yo who supposedly would be the Czech No 1 if he played all the tournaments, a 21 yo who is the official Czech No 1, and the top junior in the country. All seems fine to me.

Postby Wildey

problam is what future has he got in snooker ? he is 35

give wildcards in these events to kids or lower rank profesionals that might benefit from playing top players.

no point having mismatched with seasoned wild carders.

Postby NedB-H

wildJONESEYE wrote:problam is what future has he got in snooker ? he is 35

give wildcards in these events to kids or lower rank profesionals that might benefit from playing top players.

no point having mismatched with seasoned wild carders.

I am guessing it was a vain attempt to get bigger crowds in.... I would be disappointed if they gave all four to the likes of him, but since the other three were ideal wcs it's ok.

Postby Roland

I bet they brought in Jimmy White because they thought he'd bring in the crowds but I bet he's hardly played on Eurosport so they don't know who he is!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I bet they brought in Jimmy White because they thought he'd bring in the crowds but I bet he's hardly played on Eurosport so they don't know who he is!

rofl

good point so Alex Higgins would be as pointless as throwing petrol trying to put a fire out <laugh>