Post a reply

Re: Anthony Hamilton Interview

Postby Cloud Strife

He'd be a very good commentator IMO.

He has the right combination of being a wordsmith and as well as not being afraid to call it as it is. Unlike a lot of the current mob.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:He'd be a very good commentator IMO.

He has the right combination of being a wordsmith and as well as not being afraid to call it as it is. Unlike a lot of the current mob.

I worry he could be a bit of a waffler, based on how talkative he is in interviews. And considering he says that commentators are too critical and lack empathy I’m not convinced he’d tell it like it is, either.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:

I worry he could be a bit of a waffler, based on how talkative he is in interviews. And considering he says that commentators are too critical and lack empathy I’m not convinced he’d tell it like it is, either.

Hmm, you could be right actually.

I'd like to see him be given a go though.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Hmm, you could be right actually.

I'd like to see him be given a go though.

Yeah in fairness I’d have probably said the same about Dale and he’s very good. It’s a shame COVID scuppered plans for Hamilton to commentate for Eurosport this season.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:Ant trashing Dennis? or Virgo? Who'd do we think?

They are BBC commentators, and commentate to the BBC style. (Pandering to the casuals, making jokes and telling stories during matches etc.) I don't see Hamilton as being asked to be on the BBC to commentate, if I'm honest. Also, BBC prefers people who were formerly World Champions because they think it adds gravitas. Virgo gets away with it, because he's well known from being on Big Break. The main exception is Alan McManus, and he's very much a b-commentor for the BBC. He was not used for The Masters this year. More at the Worlds and UK when there's more matches to commentate on.

If they did pick Hamilton, I reckon he's more likely to be used to Eurosport as they aren't as bothered about their commentates having name factors to the viewers at home as they are more of a niche channel in the UK than the BBC. (Bear in mind Ronnie and Jimmy are pundits more than commentators.) Maybe he'd get on ITV 4 during something like The Championship League when they seem to let anybody have a go.

Postby badtemperedcyril

I think Ant’s got a nice voice for the job. Quite friendly and warm. Perry and Bingham are extremely knowledgable but they don’t have particularly engaging voices. Peter Lines was decent - came out with some funny quips and his Leeds accent is a refreshing change.

Postby SnookerEd25

I took to Mike Dunn when he did it. Unfortunately, his lower profile means he’ll struggle to get another chance probably

Postby gallantrabbit

What a gutter. Has been around forever and is a terrific player. Let's hope he can find a solution but sign him up Eurosport he'll be a great commentator. He's not going to hide stuff and he knows the tour inside out. Talks a great game too and is even mates with Ronnie, which is a rarity as Ronnie keeps himself to himself.

Postby gallantrabbit

The_Abbott wrote:Ant trashing Dennis? or Virgo? Who'd do we think?

Has to be Taylor. He is pretty awful to be honest. Rarely calls the Chinese pros by their names, has no idea what is going on on tour outside the triple crown, and calls innumerous shots poorly.
Anthony hasn't won enough for BBC, but will be a great addition to Eurosport as a lower ranked , but hugely knowledgeable pro.

Postby Iranu

Am I missing something? I can’t find where he has a dig at a commentator?